Action Extravaganza Electric Boogaloo 2.0 [NO BOOSTING]

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Action Extravaganza Electric Boogaloo 2.0 [NO BOOSTING]

Postby Vino » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:22 am

Let's re-imagine the action genre.

Overview
Name: Double Action? The Last Action Shooter? Ballistic? Triple Impact? Trigger Happy? F. A. G. ?
Engine: Unreal? Source?
Price: FREE!
Contributions: Uncompensated! (Except name in credits obviously.)
Boosting/Exploits: Absolutely none!
Core Team: Small

Design thoughts

RANGE BALANCE
Adjacent: Melee wins. Attacking someone with a gun causes view knocking and accuracy to drop, so hitting the melee user becomes difficult.
Close: Pistols win. The extra mobility and stunting gives pistols the close-range advantage.
Medium: SMG/Shotgun wins.
Long: Rifles win. Aim-in.

Close Combat:
You need to close range, but the benefit is more mobility. In close range unarmed has an advantage, in medium or long range it is ineffective. Stamina bar is a strong consideration, spam it too much and you lose damage or maybe speed. Stronger attacks leave weaknesses, and do not disarm. NO EXPLOITS WHATSOEVER. Perhaps melee attacks cause wild inaccuracies or view knocking/blurring to give melee the close range advantage.

Pistols:
Still pretty fast but not as much firepower. Can disarm other weapons. High/med/low stunts

Rifles:
Can't be disarmed as easily, but can't disarm others, and of course make the player very slow. Long range advantage. Only low stunts. Strong consideration for some sort of aim-in feature.

SMG:
Much like pistols but auto and only med/low stunts.

Shotguns:
Close range advantage, but pretty slow and useless long range.

Disarming:
Only if you're very close to your victim. Stuns the victim for a moment, no attacks or weapon draws during this time. It's risky to close distance to go for the disarm, but it pays off with a half second of advantage. Perhaps a special button is designated for disarming, which for the heavier weapons becomes only a stock attack.

Slow Motion:
With powerups as before. Consideration to change the "1 slow second per kill" to "1 slow second per stunt kill" or something similar, to avoid winners-keep-winning. Meter instead?

Universal Meter:
Actions you take fill up the meter (kill w/ stunt, etc) When the meter gets full enough you can activate it for a powerup of your choosing. "Adrenaline Rush" (speed and superjump) "Time Control" (slowmo) "In The Zone" (melee strength) and "Second Wind" (health regen)

Stunts:
Unified stunt button. No high/med/low stunts. All stunts available to everybody.
Moving + jump + stunt button: Dive
Moving + crouch + stunt button: Roll
Hold stunt button after dive or roll: Stay in prone (This is opposite from TS I think)
Moving + stunt button: Straight to slide
Only stunt button: Straight to prone

Scoring:
Separate kill and score counts.

Game Modes:
Bounty Hunting mode? Spend Money to Make Money? Grab The Cash And Run? Cops and Robbers? Mookmatch? Inception Mode? Pair-up Mode, all players split into pairs?
From TS: The One Mode, CTB

Story:
Individual for each map. Window comes up after the MOTD showing the story.

RP and Fu servers:
Crawl in a hole and die.

Other stuff:
Perks system?

I'll keep the most up to date info here in this top thread. Feel free to post your ideas.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Re: Action Extravaganza Electric Boogaloo 2.0 [NO BOOSTING]

Postby Daniel » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:36 am

I'm down for Unreal or Cryengine, but I can't really think of any other suitable engines/games. Source just rubs me the wrong way.
Daniel

Postby Flakk » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:52 am

I'll do anim00tions and modallan!

If this is serious, I will, if I'm wanted ;o.
Flakk

Postby Vino » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:57 am

Yeah everybody's welcome if you have some modicum of skill.

I am liking this visual direction already.

I am actually honestly completely unconcerned about visual direction. I don't want to go for next-gen, I want to go for an extremely well-refined gameplay with decent visuals. It's too fucking hard to do next-gen. Shiny eyeballs will not make AEEG2.0 any more fun.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Flakk » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:11 am

I disdain the term "next-gen" since it was like 8 years ago since it was the next generation. It's simply...the current generation.
Anyway, normal mapping and "shiny eyeballs" is pretty standard anyway. Unreal 3 would be nice since it's already made for a fast paced arena shooter.
Flakk

Postby Vspec » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:12 am

New game time, Original avatar go! signature go!

We should call the game Fubar, considering the game play dynamics will be completely new to anyone who plays it.

Or in their eyes Fucked Up Beyond All Recognition.
Takub wrote: George Clooney building a fuckchair in his basement.

Weedwacker wrote:Show them asian girls what a circumcised dick looks like

Vspec

Postby Tilaron » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:38 am

can i do voice acting
TOGSolid wrote:Instead of treating these boards like a place to chill out and shoot the shit, y'all treat it like some sort of faggy trolling haven. Well fuck that noise, I'm out.

Tilaron

Postby Flakk » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:48 am

Tilaron wrote:can i do voice acting

No.
Flakk

Postby Tilaron » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:20 am

but i make a really good "wayueuyeruhghegur" noise :(
TOGSolid wrote:Instead of treating these boards like a place to chill out and shoot the shit, y'all treat it like some sort of faggy trolling haven. Well fuck that noise, I'm out.

Tilaron

Postby misanq » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:13 am

Vino wrote:I do not want to make a new version of TS, I want to make a completely new game inspired by TS but separate. Perhaps a re-imagining or a spiritual sequel if you will.

TS is a quite an eclectic source to reimagine from. Do you have a some sort of theme or fundemental gameplay style in your head?
misanq

Postby Flakk » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:51 am

When I was YOUNG and stupid and had my own game ideas like everyone else, I wanted to make TS styled game with more insane weaponry. Such as an MG42 that wouldn't bog you down or run slower. I remember things like a minigun that would have such powerful recoil that you could use it to hover. And with that, you could use it to make long jumps and flow through the levels. I also had a pistol that would fire so fast that you had to reload almost instantly. Making it more or less a railgun.
I wanted wall jumps and wallrunning more literally than in TS. Like tall shafts you could easily just run/jump up from wall to wall and things like that. A lot of gun fights could actually take place in midair, jumping between obstacles. Few things would really bog you down was my idea. It would feel almost like flying through streamlined levels.
Flakk

Postby Shogi » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:39 am

That sounds a bit too silly, but I would really like the idea of nailing down a nice fluid movement system and then designing the levels around that. I of course pledge my modeling services as Flakk's backup.

Vino are you talking about modding Unreal 3 or using the UDK? I've been meaning to take a peak at the UDK for a while, this is a perfect opportunity. Can't really think of another option besides source, and I know how much you guys loathe Valve's netcode.
Shogi

Postby Flakk » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:27 am

Your mom's silly. In any case, I always wanted the mg42 mixed in with modern weaponry.

Also, I only want part of this if it becomes semi-serious with a dedicated team, website, documents, a proper leader and everything that goes with that.
Flakk

Postby Shogi » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:31 am

Flakk wrote: I always wanted the mg42 mixed in with modern weaponry.

The MG42 is pretty awesome. We should throw in a Mauser C96, a Peacemaker, and a Tommy Gun while we're talking about classics.
Shogi

Postby Flakk » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:32 am

Shogi wrote:
Flakk wrote: I always wanted the mg42 mixed in with modern weaponry.

The MG42 is pretty awesome. We should throw in a Mauser C96, a Peacemaker, and a Tommy Gun while we're talking about classics.

Don't want to overdo it though. They still need a roll to fill.
Flakk

Next

Return to Double Action Development