Cosmetic features suggestions

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Cosmetic features suggestions

Postby Dan » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:52 pm

Since talking about gameplay mechanics and balance all day can get exhausting, this thread should serve as a nice break.

Suggest purely cosmetic features that don't affect gameplay, but would be cool to have.

#1. Film grain filter.
ImageImage
Dan
 
Posts: 1007
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:58 pm

Re: Cosmetic features suggestions

Postby Weedwacker » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:03 pm

DK mode from goldeneye.
Lemonade was a popular drink, and it still is
Grunty wrote:honestly if i could suck my own dick i would

Image
User avatar
Weedwacker
 
Posts: 1396
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:26 pm
Location: New Jersey, aka Jewlandia 2: Electric Boogaloo

Re: Cosmetic features suggestions

Postby Antagonist » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:12 pm

I think we should have a fuckton of player models. Even if this would likely be achieved by having multiple skins for the same model, I think it would be badass as fuck if we could have different enough guys that are in diverse styles but not in so diverse styles that it looks like jaykin bacon source.
Image
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
User avatar
Antagonist
 
Posts: 2247
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:31 pm
Location: in yo stupid face

Re: Cosmetic features suggestions

Postby Wish » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:17 pm

Agreed on player models. For example, a guy in a suit - tan suit, navy suit, charcoal suit, black suit - bam, four options with minimal work. Minor facial differences maybe. Variety and opportunity for individuality don't have to come at a high labor cost.
User avatar
Wish
 
Posts: 409
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:48 pm

Re: Cosmetic features suggestions

Postby Shogi » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:27 pm

Film grain may be unecessary or detrimental since we're looking at more of a Killer7 art style, but I like it.

As for player models, I agree. As I suggested in the other thread, a player customizer like UT3 would be nice, and probably fairly simple. We/I could model tac vests, gun belts etc that could be added to some base models, and yeah, recolors are easy peasy.

It would also be pretty cool to be able to choose gun colors. silver slides for pistols, camo for rifles, etc.

A cinematic death cam would be pretty great too when you die. It would make dying suck less, feel more like a movie, and make respawn times (if there is any) pass faster.
Image
User avatar
Shogi
 
Posts: 1374
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:02 pm

Re: Cosmetic features suggestions

Postby Dan » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:43 pm

Cinema death cam would be great. It would show you ragdolling to the ground in slow motion, then when you hit the ground it zooms in real quick and makes the DUNNNNN sound from Hard Boiled.

Although the DUNNNNN would get old mighty quick.

Also, persistent bullet wounds on player models. Is that possible? It'd be cool to survive a firefight and be covered in blood and bullet holes.
ImageImage
Dan
 
Posts: 1007
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:58 pm

Re: Cosmetic features suggestions

Postby Antagonist » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:26 pm

faggotron 5000 wrote:Cinema death cam would be great. It would show you ragdolling to the ground in slow motion, then when you hit the ground it zooms in real quick and makes the DUNNNNN sound from Hard Boiled.

Although the DUNNNNN would get old mighty quick.

I like the BRRRRRRRRM sound from Inception better.

I think we should have a bunch of verbose kill and killing spree messages like in TS. What I would love is specific ones, such as "Sprayer is a Karate Kommando" for triple melee kills (however unlikely that would be).

Also, I think that something motivating like "Too bad, better luck next time" message for when you die would go a long way in making people rage less. There's been a study that shows that this kind of thing can actually impact the mood of a game. Maybe we could gear the game into a fun competitive mood instead of a constantly raged and trolling competitive mood.

Also also, I think that you should be able to customize your guy and guns A LOT. We should have fucking ID cards you can customize like in BLOPS too. Like, you could put your forum signature there. Just make it so that every guy who has a forum account can input it and he'd get his ID card from the signature. That way, any sig that is offensive would be removed by forum admins.
Image
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
User avatar
Antagonist
 
Posts: 2247
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:31 pm
Location: in yo stupid face

Re: Cosmetic features suggestions

Postby Dan » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:27 pm

Antagonist wrote:Also, I think that something motivating like "Too bad, better luck next time" message for when you die would go a long way in making people rage less. There's been a study that shows that this kind of thing can actually impact the mood of a game. Maybe we could gear the game into a fun competitive mood instead of a constantly raged and trolling competitive mood.


Are there any movie quotes that we could shoehorn in? The only one I can think of is "You ain't got time to bleed."

Also I think there should be a little "weapons room" in the main menu when you create your loadouts, like Rainbow Six Vegas 2 had. It shows your character up close as well as a wall or table of weapons, you rotate the camera around, etc. Gotta have the action movie staples like the cigarette on the ashtray and stacks of cash in the corner or whatever.
ImageImage
Dan
 
Posts: 1007
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:58 pm

Re: Cosmetic features suggestions

Postby Antagonist » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:28 pm

faggotron 5000 wrote:Also I think there should be a little "weapons room" in the main menu when you create your loadouts, like Rainbow Six Vegas 2 had. It shows your character up close as well as a wall or table of weapons, you rotate the camera around, etc. Gotta have the action movie staples like the cigarette on the ashtray and stacks of cash in the corner or whatever.

That would be cool as fuck, maybe even necessary to give the game the correct feeling.
Image
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
User avatar
Antagonist
 
Posts: 2247
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:31 pm
Location: in yo stupid face

Re: Cosmetic features suggestions

Postby Sif » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:52 pm

Antagonist wrote:
faggotron 5000 wrote:Also I think there should be a little "weapons room" in the main menu when you create your loadouts, like Rainbow Six Vegas 2 had. It shows your character up close as well as a wall or table of weapons, you rotate the camera around, etc. Gotta have the action movie staples like the cigarette on the ashtray and stacks of cash in the corner or whatever.

That would be cool as fuck, maybe even necessary to give the game the correct feeling.


Image
User avatar
Sif
 
Posts: 1315
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:06 pm

Re: Cosmetic features suggestions

Postby mangaas » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:45 am

I think this was something that was suggested with the TS but wasn't possible or just too difficult to do in HL1

How about having the guns you have show up on the player? They don't have to be EACH specific gun, but if they have a pistol or two, or 3, they have that many hoslters on them. And obviously the bigger weapons like rifles and shotguns would have a specific model for each. Katana across the back one way, rifle across the other way, or shotgun etc etc.

The game really didn't let you hodl that many rifles shotguns at the same time, so I think it might be possible.

You'd just have to design the characters models with this in mind.

And if having too many specific weapons on the model is too difficult, then at least show a holster if a character has a back up hand gun, or a katana (are they only for the hip?) or sword across his back as a nice visual touch.
User avatar
mangaas
 
Posts: 1965
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:35 am

Re: Cosmetic features suggestions

Postby Wish » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:58 am

I like the idea, but then we'd all just use the trench coat guy because he'd conceal more stuff.

And that stuff would look weird on someone in a suit.

But I'm down with showing a rifle slung across the back if somebody's carrying one.
User avatar
Wish
 
Posts: 409
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:48 pm

Re: Cosmetic features suggestions

Postby Antagonist » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:13 am

I think that all the larger weapons should have slings, like a real killer would use if he's in open combat.

Image

Image

No other game has this.
Image
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
User avatar
Antagonist
 
Posts: 2247
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:31 pm
Location: in yo stupid face

Re: Cosmetic features suggestions

Postby Wish » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:46 pm

This would be fantastic for rifles and SMGs.
User avatar
Wish
 
Posts: 409
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:48 pm

Re: Cosmetic features suggestions

Postby Tilaron » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:13 pm

can there be a pool minigame too? :D
TOGSolid wrote:Instead of treating these boards like a place to chill out and shoot the shit, y'all treat it like some sort of faggy trolling haven. Well fuck that noise, I'm out.

Image
User avatar
Tilaron
 
Posts: 4403
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:57 am

Next

Return to Double Action Development

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron