Game types

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Game types

Postby Antagonist » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:02 pm

I think we can all agree that we need Death Match, Team Death Match and some kind of CTF mode.

I would also like to see a co-op mode or team survival mode because that's what you wanna do in an action movie: Pit a small group of badasses against a large group of mooks and mini-bosses and final bosses.

Another game type I've been thinking about is collection style game type, where you would collect some stuff that has been spawned all over the map. It could be dogtags, playing cards, anything really. You'd be stunting over obstacles trying to get the stuff, while everyone is trying to kill everyone or strategically waiting for the other players to pick the stuff up so that they can kill them and steal their stuff. At the end of a round, the one who is carrying the most stuff would be the winner.

The One mode in TS was fucking fun as hell. But the Matrix isn't really that cool anymore. I like Jet Li. Black Mask is my favorite movie with him. I love the cheesyness and the awesome fights. Maybe we could have a reverse tag mode just like The One mode, where one guy is a juggernaut (fu powerup, double speed) but this time everyone can see who he is because he has a black mask. If you kill the black mask, either you could earn the mask like in The One mode, or you'd have to run and pick it up.
Last edited by Antagonist on Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Re: Game types

Postby Sif » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:06 pm

Briefcases of cash, that'd be what you want as an item. Gotta collect a certain amount of cash before the round ends.
Sif

Postby Antagonist » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:07 pm

Sif wrote:Briefcases of cash, that'd be what you want as an item. Gotta collect a certain amount of cash before the round ends.

Fuck yes.
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby Sif » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:09 pm

Make kills count as a lower number amount of cash gained from a 'bounty'. Forcing the players to have to work together to get the cash back to their starting hideout.
Sif

Postby Antagonist » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:12 pm

Sif wrote:Make kills count as a lower number amount of cash gained from a 'bounty'. Forcing the players to have to work together to get the cash back to their starting hideout.

There could be CASH MODE and TEAM CASH MODE.

There could also be SPEND SOME MONEY TO MAKE MONEY, which is a CS style game type where you play as gangsters and you raid other gangsters to steal their shit, then you can use the money to buy guns so you can steal more of their shit next time you raid.
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby Sif » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:13 pm

If both teams get equal money amounts they'd go into sudden death and fight over a money stack in the middle of the map instead of in a random spot. Both teams would be given fifteen seconds at max before that all starts so as to have a fair chance to attack at the same time.
Sif

Postby Antagonist » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:18 pm

That sounds fun as hell. Maybe there could even be a variant where there's always these few chokepoints in the map where there's stacks of cash, so you'll want to grab as much as each guy in your team can carry but leave some guys behind to be assholes to the other team as they try to steal from the same stack.
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby Sif » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:19 pm

Hadji|DP: can you steal from the HQ?
Sif: i thought about that
Hadji|DP: because then it'd be like pulling off heists
Sif: yeah that'd be cool
Sif: post that
Hadji|DP: kinda like
Hadji|DP: R&D
Sif: YES
Sif: loved that mod
Sif

Postby Antagonist » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:22 pm

Maybe it could be set in a pretty big city map and give you many options despite being like a 40 minute long game session. The gameplay would probably even satisfy some RP fags because it requires a lot of planning to win. You'd have vehicles for drive-bys. There could be cop bots that would try to kill you with their SWAT, making it sometimes necessary to use suppressors on the guns, and lower tier gangster bots that you would compete to steal from. And banks.

DISREGARD THAT. It could be cops and robbers. The cops gain "cash" from heisting gangster hideouts and picking up evidence. The gangsters gain cash from heisting banks and picking up valuables. Both compete to defend and attack.
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby Sif » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:02 am

I just had a brief vision here and honestly it sounds awesome. Armored car heists.

Also just thought of a way of how to name this particular gametype "Heists", then make the maps be titled with "The <Mapname> Job".
Sif

Postby Antagonist » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:35 am

That's be cool.

This would probably satisfy Unreal Tourney fans and their thirst for something like an Assault game type. It shouldn't be too hard to make. I remember in Tactical Ops (a CS clone on UT), you'd have maps that were mission based. You sometimes had to lead your team through a map in order to escape if you were playing with the Ts.

Let's see what you and I have brainstormed up so far:

Cash Grab / Money grubber: A game type which is either free for all or team based where players race to collect a certain amount of cash before a round ends. Do you think you should get to keep the cash after you die, or should it be crazy and have players explode in a cloud of money upon death?

Heist: A team based game type where one side is the cops and one is professional criminals. The objective of the cops is to raid the criminals and the objective of the criminals is to pull off bank heists or armored car heists depending on the map.

I almost think that a timer needs to be hardcoded into the second game type because this kind of gametype would be weird and you'd get really tired of it if you played it for too long (plus a timer would make it impossible to RP in the game type...)

-EDIT-

There is also one game type that I remember from the scrapped Chitan. It was called Crow mode. Players had a crow that would make them keep resurrecting but if you killed a player's crow, he couldn't resurrect, which meant he died for real the next time. The Crow was super at dodging, could defend itself and be used to distract but couldn't kill other players or crows. It was kind of a Last Man Standing kind of deal. Shit was pretty fucking crazy. I just thought I'd mention it.
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby Vino » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:36 am

Antagonist wrote:It shouldn't be too hard to make.

WARNING WARNING BULLSHIT ALERT

Nothing personal Antag, but I can't say how many times I've heard someone say this in game dev and it's absolutely never true. :)
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Antagonist » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:46 am

Vino wrote:
Antagonist wrote:It shouldn't be too hard to make.

WARNING WARNING BULLSHIT ALERT

Nothing personal Antag, but I can't say how many times I've heard someone say this in game dev and it's absolutely never true. :)

[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby Vino » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:58 am

Haha sorry
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Grunty » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:11 pm

Multi Team Death Match, that was in TS, but also could work in this game
max groups of 4v4v4v4 etc

I was also thinking like a bank heist game mode
sort of like the cops and robbers idea, but basically a big bank map, with multiple entrances

security guards have to prevent the hijackers from setting up a bomb and taking away the cash

the hijackers have to deliver some sort of explosive, while at the same time fighting off security guards
gotta blow up the vault, and steal as much cash as they can, and it will be round based, and whichever team steals the most cash after like 2 rounds wins.
Grunty

Next

Return to Double Action Development