Game types

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Re: Game types

Postby Wish » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:22 pm

Dunno about that other stuff, but I'm all for multi-team deathmatch.
User avatar
Wish
 
Posts: 409
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:48 pm

Re: Game types

Postby Sif » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:33 pm

The overall idea for the Heist gametype would be to deliver a fast paced challenge that actually requires teamwork and some precision.
Image
User avatar
Sif
 
Posts: 1315
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:06 pm

Re: Game types

Postby Len » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:56 pm

heist mode, yes plz
YO DOG WUTS UP R U LUVIN ME TONITE??
Len
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:30 pm

Re: Game types

Postby TheOtherChris » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:02 pm

I'm just throwing things out here, feel free to kill me.

Assault was mentioned before, either co-op or competitive. Left4Specialists mode:
Team Merc are robbers. Team Seals take control over key security forces. First the robbers/mercs need to enter the bank building through the roof, killing their way through the security forces/seals, with a few optional conditions that can be met to make the next round easier for either side (unlock equipment, Seals can activate the alarm, The mercs can deactivate it, etc.). Stage 1 complete, round 1 over.

Round two, break into the secure section of the bank and cover the safe crackers as they go through some Tetris-based minigames, something very casual, maybe visual cue (meaning you aren't fucked if the team retard decides to sit down by the safe). Seals stage a series of swarms and the mercs use perimeter defences (maybe forcing players to run across the perimeter to shut timed doors and such to keep them moving and stunting).

Stage 3: Carry the loot to the bottom floor. Hacker duel ensues over elevator door locks (more basic minigames, maybe competetive Dr. Mario) until the mercs get through. Since there are windows and balconies and open areas on this stage, seals can decide to spawn in helicopters (using the Unreal engine vehicle stuff) and attack from the air, aswell as action dive from the choppers to the building. Mercs can employ rockets and stationary machine guns to counter this.

Stage 4: Shootout to get to the garage, were armored cars are available and are to be driven through a final race with team seal and their choppers. Mercs can choose how many eggs to put in one basket by allocating members into the vehicles. Respawns are possible through checkpoints.

Stage 5: Final stand until the time traveling device activates and can bring the merc team back to their original timeline!

Stages are fought out over time, with the gampeplay changing between mercs pushing forward while seals defend the objectives, to mercs defending key points while seals assault, and topping it off with a race or a battle royale.
TheOtherChris
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:42 am

Re: Game types

Postby misanq » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:54 pm

If your mercs are jumping between timelines and the like I'd suggest renaming the mode "time4dead".



My suggestion would be to keep the heist mode as simple as possible, half because cars and helicopters seem a bit off message for an action mod and half because that sort of stuff takes a ton of work, especially "Big city maps".
I feel a better option would be a very compact 'MCOM mode' where the MCOMs are replaced by topical objects such as security doors and sensitive equipment would be. For example:
The mercs blow their way into a mini fort knox and nab the gold.
The mercs blow their way into cyberdyne and plant explosives on the mainframe.
The mercs blow their way into evilcorp incorp's skyscraper and steal the railgun plans.
The seals blow their way into a old soviet communications facility and hack the reactivated doomsday weapon so that it burns up in the atmosphere.
The seals blow their way into a tinpot dictator's fortified villa to rescue a vip (and the inexplicably hot partisan girl).
More so, if mappers could stick the c4/hack timer element on any sort of object, then the potential scenarios for 'MCOM stations' would presumably be limited only by the mapper's imagination e.g. destroying generators that are powering magnetic locks/defense systems or hacking a blast door/vault that slowly swings open as the timer counts down.
Relatively simple to program, easy for players to understand and friendly to creative mappers. What isn't there to like?

Either way, as far as the briefcase idea goes, I would suggest a black sports bag a la heat instead, since the former would exclude a lot of loadouts and look at bit silly during combat rolls.
User avatar
misanq
 
Posts: 1007
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:45 am

Re: Game types

Postby Antagonist » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:20 am

misanq wrote:My suggestion would be to keep the heist mode as simple as possible, half because cars and helicopters seem a bit off message for an action mod and half because that sort of stuff takes a ton of work, especially "Big city maps".

Either way, as far as the briefcase idea goes, I would suggest a black sports bag a la heat instead, since the former would exclude a lot of loadouts and look at bit silly during combat rolls.

I agree.

Is it wrong if I really like time4dead as a name for something? :s
Image
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
User avatar
Antagonist
 
Posts: 2247
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:31 pm
Location: in yo stupid face

Re: Game types

Postby Daniel » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:54 am

No one's said mookmatch yet?
User avatar
Daniel
 
Posts: 1327
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:05 pm

Re: Game types

Postby Wish » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:40 pm

They have suggested it.
User avatar
Wish
 
Posts: 409
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:48 pm

Re: Game types

Postby Hadji|DP » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:01 pm

Simple idea for a "Heist Mode/Money Match:"

Think of a map like 2fort (multiple entrances to HQ, mirrored structure for each "main base," spawn ahead of the HQ)
Money spawns randomly on map, must be brought back to the HQ to add to the collected money amount
Kills add a small amount of money to the collected money amount
If a player gets to the enemy HQ, he/she can steal the collected money amount of the other team

So, like my "joke," essentially like the mod Research and Development except with money instead of scientists.
User avatar
Hadji|DP
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:10 pm

Re: Game types

Postby TheOtherChris » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:48 pm

There should be an RP game mode where dead players only respawn after two players have gone to a hotel and had one player stunt backwards onto a bed and the other forwards on top of the other player, teleporting them to the hospital together with the newly spawned player whom they get to name.
TheOtherChris
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:42 am

Re: Game types

Postby Sif » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:13 pm

Hadji|DP wrote:Simple idea for a "Heist Mode/Money Match:"

Think of a map like 2fort (multiple entrances to HQ, mirrored structure for each "main base," spawn ahead of the HQ)
Money spawns randomly on map, must be brought back to the HQ to add to the collected money amount
Kills add a small amount of money to the collected money amount
If a player gets to the enemy HQ, he/she can steal the collected money amount of the other team

So, like my "joke," essentially like the mod Research and Development except with money instead of scientists.


I am going to have to reinstall that mod, not sure if there was a source version made or not...
Image
User avatar
Sif
 
Posts: 1315
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:06 pm

Re: Game types

Postby bryt » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:21 pm

Actually, this might sound gay at first (and totally WTF in how to make it...) but I can see this game running some weird kind of Inception gamemode... where the game timer ticks down to the "kick" and when everyone wakes up its a different gamemode/objective within the same map.... and repeat. have it re-distribute teams, or even go free4all... and back again all within the same play session.

You could make this really crazy by having games running in different dream depths simultaneously within the same map. The deapest dream state everyone is playing at double gamespeed, middle at normal speed, top at slow-mo. And maybe you can see what is going on in other dream depths but its all transparently shaded and shit, and you cant interact directly. Objectives could be tied to goals within given depths, and counter-objectives could be finding ways to "wake-up" other players as a means to stop them (while their team tries to defend their sleep).

In the end it would work like territory control, sorta. But the territories are the sleeping players (who are fighting in the lower dream depth). Sure this is crazy complicated... but it could make for some compelling action gameplay.
User avatar
bryt
 
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: Game types

Postby Dan » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:28 pm

bryitis wrote:Actually, this might sound gay at first (and totally WTF in how to make it...) but I can see this game running some weird kind of Inception gamemode... where the game timer ticks down to the "kick" and when everyone wakes up its a different gamemode/objective within the same map.... and repeat. have it re-distribute teams, or even go free4all... and back again all within the same play session.

You could make this really crazy by having games running in different dream depths simultaneously within the same map. The deapest dream state everyone is playing at double gamespeed, middle at normal speed, top at slow-mo. And maybe you can see what is going on in other dream depths but its all transparently shaded and shit, and you cant interact directly. Objectives could be tied to goals within given depths, and counter-objectives could be finding ways to "wake-up" other players as a means to stop them (while their team tries to defend their sleep).


As long as the game mode type is called "Insertion" I am 100% for this.

It might seem rip-offy but remember all the Matrix ripping off that happened in the early 2000s and it doesn't seem that bad.
ImageImage
Dan
 
Posts: 1007
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:58 pm

Re: Game types

Postby Oreo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:07 am

I like to shoot things with guns.
Click Dante For My YouTube Page
Image
User avatar
Oreo
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: Game types

Postby El Shmiablo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:15 am

Was I the only person who like the Objective based maps in TS? Used to play Nashcorp on Nashcorp all the time. :D
Image
User avatar
El Shmiablo
 
Posts: 933
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:11 pm

Previous

Return to Double Action Development

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron