Unreal Developer's Kit (UDK) Thread

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Unreal Developer's Kit (UDK) Thread

Postby Shogi » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:14 am

Since we seem decided on Unreal, I downloaded and installed the UDK and took a quick peak at it and some of the documentation. It's definitely complicated and it's going to take some time to figure out what's what, but this project isn't going to get done if Vino is the only one handling the actual building of the game. Not all of you have to, but at least some of us should look into helping out beyond discussion. Let's use this thread to make heads or tails of it so we can do more to make this game a reality.

http://www.udk.com
Shogi

Re: Unreal Developer's Kit (UDK) Thread

Postby Wish » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:27 am

Mapping with the UDK is fairly straightforward. It's similar in many ways to Hammer, though there are some key (and to me irritating) differences.

But the main point is that the UDK is not like Half-Life2/Source/Hammer in sense that there are a vast array of materials available to you by default - which I always took for granted. In Hammer, if I needed a sandy ground texture, there was one. There were a variety of skyboxes, and plenty of props and stuff. With the UDK that is not the case - textures/materials, and prop models all have to come from somewhere, which means there's a fairly urgent need for texture artists and prop modelers/skinners in addition to simple mappers. The amount of models and textures needed for maps made with today's graphics in mind is, unfortunately, very large.

The UDK does include stuff for making animations, and there is a lot of excellent documentation (tutorials and stuff) for most of the UDK's features, which is excellent.

Sorry, that's all I got.
Wish

Postby raidyr » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:10 am

Lets wait for CrySDK 3.
Grunty wrote:i'm sorry Shogi, I honestly believe everyone is equal, but there's just something about black people that just piss me the fuck off

raidyr

Postby Antagonist » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:23 am

mb :3
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby raidyr » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:26 am

Unreal 3 is probably a lot better, its just that I basically feel like Im playing TS when I play Crysis 2.
Grunty wrote:i'm sorry Shogi, I honestly believe everyone is equal, but there's just something about black people that just piss me the fuck off

raidyr

Postby Vino » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:55 am

Main reason I like UDK is its licensing. It doesn't require that the player owns Unreal or any Epic games and if we're not making money off of it then it's COMPLETELY FREE. So, we can develop a game that anybody can play with a state of the art engine and we won't have to pay anybody. Plus, UDK is making a bit of a comeback these days so having a game branded with it is a bit of a plus as far as marketing goes.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby raidyr » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:01 am

If Vino supports Unreal then so do I.
Not that my word has any say in anything.

raidyr

Postby Antagonist » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:11 am

I like the Unreal Engine :3
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby raidyr » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:43 am

I'll download the UDK and see if I can make heads or tails of anything.

raidyr

Postby Shogi » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:40 pm

Vino wrote:Main reason I like UDK is its licensing. It doesn't require that the player owns Unreal or any Epic games and if we're not making money off of it then it's COMPLETELY FREE. So, we can develop a game that anybody can play with a state of the art engine and we won't have to pay anybody. Plus, UDK is making a bit of a comeback these days so having a game branded with it is a bit of a plus as far as marketing goes.

Actually, we can sell it but if we were to break $50,000 that's when we'd have to pay. Unless I misread that article. Still donations aren't covered under that license, so we can distribute it for free and kindly ask for donations =)
Shogi

Postby TheOtherChris » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:43 pm

Shogi wrote:
Vino wrote:Main reason I like UDK is its licensing. It doesn't require that the player owns Unreal or any Epic games and if we're not making money off of it then it's COMPLETELY FREE. So, we can develop a game that anybody can play with a state of the art engine and we won't have to pay anybody. Plus, UDK is making a bit of a comeback these days so having a game branded with it is a bit of a plus as far as marketing goes.

Actually, we can sell it but if we were to break $50,000 that's when we'd have to pay. Unless I misread that article. Still donations aren't covered under that license, so we can distribute it for free and kindly ask for donations =)

I think we should go for ads and product placement deals instead!
TheOtherChris

Postby Dan » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:18 pm

I love the UDK. In a few hours, I was actually able to make a tiny block of terrain, drop in a few meshes, add ambient sounds, and add some lighting. (I never even managed to make a map AT ALL in Hammer.)
ImageImage
Dan

Postby Judas_Iscariot » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:26 pm

im tempted to try and map in this i use to make my own custom maps for Rune halls of Valhalla and unreal tournament. but i know that was years ago. would really like to see how the editor and stuff works =D
Comrades!!!
Judas_Iscariot

Postby Vino » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:33 pm

No I'm not really interested in selling it. That raises the quality bar quite a bit, and thus the amount of effort. And when you factor money into it, everybody wants a piece of the pie. Let's keep money out of this.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Antagonist » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:36 pm

I agree. If any donations should be accepted, it should only be used for servers and shit.
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Next

Return to Double Action Development