FPS Aesthetics

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Re: FPS Aesthetics

Postby bryt » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:57 am

i know there is a method from XSI. i have the plugin that supposedly does it, and i've heard you can import data via directx formats too. i'd be surprised if you cant just use Collada or FBX though, seems like every other major package supports those. anyways i'm nearly done with getting my rig set up the way I like it (with a full reference model system). i may not start the actual animations this weekend, but it should be ready for me to pick up next weekend.
bryt

Postby Vino » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:58 am

Bryan, before you do any real work you should review the other thread (the melee close range advantage thread I think) we're we are discussing doing third person only.

edit: no it's the stunts thread.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Shogi » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:30 pm

I brought it up in that thread but I don't think anyone noticed- are we doing realistic bullet physics or not?
Shogi

Postby TheOtherChris » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:38 pm

I think that if you were to pause a saved game recording in Cinema mode and go to the main battlefield, you should be able to count every bullet and ejected shell casing in the air.

Also: Bry, did you get the other filetypes, and did they work better?
TheOtherChris

Postby bryt » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:11 pm

yeah thanks, that is much better.
bryt

Postby TheOtherChris » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:44 pm

I found another, higher def pistol model. A MK23, want me to send it your way?
TheOtherChris

Postby bryt » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:58 pm

sure, if you got it then send it my way.
bryt

Postby Antagonist » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:54 pm

Okay so I have noticed that Killzone 3 has these awesome and sometimes subtle aesthetics that really help the atmosphere along. In Killzone 2, they felt a little too strong (some people complain about feeling slow) but in KZ 3 it looks like it's a little toned down.

Notice how fucking cool all of the camera bobbing, seeing your character's legs and screen shakes is? Disregard the obviously high-end AAA studio features like advanced melee and stuff, but just look at the aesthetics of it all. I think there's a lot to learn from this (or rip off).

I like the way the scope moves in this clip. Turn off the music if you don't like stupid music that MLG enthusiasts like.
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby Minimum » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:31 am

Antagonist wrote:Okay so I have noticed that Killzone 3 has these awesome and sometimes subtle aesthetics that really help the atmosphere along. In Killzone 2, they felt a little too strong (some people complain about feeling slow) but in KZ 3 it looks like it's a little toned down.

Notice how fucking cool all of the camera bobbing, seeing your character's legs and screen shakes is? Disregard the obviously high-end AAA studio features like advanced melee and stuff, but just look at the aesthetics of it all. I think there's a lot to learn from this (or rip off).

I like the way the scope moves in this clip. Turn off the music if you don't like stupid music that MLG enthusiasts like.

I cannot tell you how much I love body awareness in games. I feel being able to look down and see your own body certainly adds a great degree of immersion and improves your overall maneuverability as a player. One of the reasons I love Dark Messiah is because of the immersion mechanics present in that game.

I wouldn't mind these immersion mechanics as long as they don't interfere with the fast paced nature of the mod. I'm not sure how much effort this would take but it seems like it would be certainly doable on at least a "version 2" of the mod.
Minimum

Postby Sif » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:09 am

That's also a big reason why I love OFP / ArmA series overall, the more you immerse people with the fact that they are indeed human the more they can appreciate the overall layout of the game. Everything has to flow properly, you can't just have a gay ass HUD anymore like CoD or BF anymore. Keep to the basics, add an indicator that appears and fades when you want to know how many mags / rounds you got left. Nothing more, no health indicator, no GUI for weapons scroll. Add them in to five columns.

Overall you'd focus on the point that you cannot carry an arsenal of weapons, only what you can carry on your person reasonably.
Sif

Postby Minimum » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:32 am

Sif wrote:That's also a big reason why I love OFP / ArmA series overall, the more you immerse people with the fact that they are indeed human the more they can appreciate the overall layout of the game. Everything has to flow properly, you can't just have a gay ass HUD anymore like CoD or BF anymore. Keep to the basics, add an indicator that appears and fades when you want to know how many mags / rounds you got left. Nothing more, no health indicator, no GUI for weapons scroll. Add them in to five columns.

Overall you'd focus on the point that you cannot carry an arsenal of weapons, only what you can carry on your person reasonably.

I like the idea of a very minimalistic HUD like CS:S has but nothing less than that. It would be very annoying if the HUD just hid from you. It just isn't consistent. Having such a major mechanic not be consistent is a bad move in my opinion.

If this mod is truly a spiritual successor to TS then at the heart of the mod lies your typical John Woo, Hollywood-esque action shooter. Full on realism that is present in OFP and ArmA is on the opposite end of the spectrum. DNF tried to combine these two very different subgenres by forcing you to carry only two weapons at once. The primary reason I consider DNF to be a complete utter failure is because of this very mechanic. Games like TS just don't mix with games like OFP and ArmA.

That said, I feel like we should immerse the player not into the body of a regular human being like you and I but rather the body of an action hero. The ridiculousness is what gave TS its charm and it would be a shame if we just threw that out the window.
Minimum

Previous

Return to Double Action Development