Idea: Slow-motion/Style/Universal Meter

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Re: Idea: Slow-motion/Style/Universal Meter

Postby Wish » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:31 pm

I guess it's unnecessary since you're getting meter for the kill anyway.
Wish

Postby BullHorn » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:44 am

This could become more unpredictable if the meter allows you to use any of the powerups, you just have to choose before using it.
[Stink.Inc | BullHorn]
BullHorn

Postby TheOtherChris » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:03 am

If you're gonna have all the powerups yourself, I think it should add to each meter individually like you suggested earlier. It kind of reminded me of something Devil May Cry would have, some how. Since nobody uses THE NUMBERS, MASON for switching weapons anymore, couldn't those be the quick keys?
TheOtherChris

Postby Antagonist » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:16 am

TheOtherChris wrote:Since nobody uses THE NUMBERS, MASON for switching weapons anymore, couldn't those be the quick keys?

Dude, this is true. You could just switch power on the fly like that.

Like, if you had slowmo primed, each kill would count towards sowmo meter. If you have FRIENDLY DOGS INBOUND primed, each kill would count towards your FRIENDLY DOGS meter.
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby Hadji|DP » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:55 am

This does actually sound pretty cool. From a gameplay depth perspective managing 4 meters would be pretty boss. however I wonder how intuitive it would be, because only restricting it to one powerup you choose at loadout forces you to make a decision about how to play your game AND keeps it very simple for new players. having four meters to manage may get a little confusing and players may end up just getting frustrated and selecting only one anyway.

besides you're not gonna fill up all 4 meters even if you're really good. that's just so many kills you have to make on one life. you'll have to end up using the life regen the entire time, forcing you to only use one powerup ultimately.
Hadji|DP

Postby TheOtherChris » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:58 am

Yeah, I feel like loadout is the way to go.
TheOtherChris

Postby Antagonist » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:58 am

Hadji|DP wrote:This does actually sound pretty cool. From a gameplay depth perspective managing 4 meters would be pretty boss. however I wonder how intuitive it would be, because only restricting it to one powerup you choose at loadout forces you to make a decision about how to play your game AND keeps it very simple for new players. having four meters to manage may get a little confusing and players may end up just getting frustrated and selecting only one anyway.

besides you're not gonna fill up all 4 meters even if you're really good. that's just so many kills you have to make on one life. you'll have to end up using the life regen the entire time, forcing you to only use one powerup ultimately.

That's true too. Maybe it is something for the loadout screen? I mean, if it adds to the gameplay, we shouldn't be so hostile against anything that may resemble classes.
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby TheOtherChris » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:06 am

Names for loadout styles:
Time Cop: Time based meter
Terminator: Withstand knockback and melee based meter
Crazy Legs: Sprint/Agility based meter
Weapon X: Health based meter
Operator: Weapon and equipment based meter, like ammo regen, firing rate and shit
TheOtherChris

Postby Vino » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:39 pm

Yeah actually, I still use the numbers. Some people don't have scrollwheels on their mice, believe it or not. I know I know I'm old and I use a crummy trackball.

Anyway, multiple meters is no good. Like Hadji said, too much to think about. I'm okay with being able to switch while you're still alive, but in my mind that would involve bringing up the menu, it's not something that new players would be instructed to do, it's not something that would happen often, and it would empty your bar entirely. None of this multiple bars nonsense.

Edit: OtherChris, I'd like names that relate what the power actually does more, rather than cool names. That's why I chose:

"Adrenaline Rush" (speed and superjump)
"Time Control" (slowmo)
"In The Zone" (melee strength)
"Second Wind" (health regen)

Time Control and Adrenaline Rush especially do a good job of saying what they are when you read the name. "Weapon X" not so much, see what I mean? If you have any ideas to improve these I'm all ears.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Hadji|DP » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:47 pm

Just a thought.

Should there be a visual component to signal to other players how much meter you have? Or should meter be private information, along with things such as guns you have, your weight, and how much ammo you have?
Hadji|DP

Postby TOGSolid » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:28 pm

Hadji|DP wrote:Just a thought.

Should there be a visual component to signal to other players how much meter you have? Or should meter be private information, along with things such as guns you have, your weight, and how much ammo you have?

Your meter is your business. There's really no gameplay reason to have other people know how much meter you have. If anything, not knowing makes the battles more tense cause you're never quite sure what your opponent may have up his sleeve.
ImageImageImage
TOGSolid

Postby Wish » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:32 pm

TOGSolid wrote:Your meter is your business.

PREACH BRUTHA
Wish

Postby mangaas » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:01 pm

BullHorn wrote:This could become more unpredictable if the meter allows you to use any of the powerups, you just have to choose before using it.

this.
mangaas

Postby Hadji|DP » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:38 am

TOGSolid wrote:There's really no gameplay reason to have other people know how much meter you have.

There actually is. Its all about what options you have available to you. I know this is suppose to be a FFA DM, but if two people of equal skill were going against each other, knowing how much meter the other one tells you what kind of options are open to you. If you're going against a guy with at least 2 meters and you have no meter, you're gonna want to keep him out of range so that way YOU can build meter by shooting at his general direction to prevent him from closing the distance. Of course, he'll be doing the same thing, and using his meter to gain every single advantage. By going in blind, you're essentially turning every encounter into a guessing game.

I'm actually not for seeing other people's meter, but I know its the popular opinion so I'm taking the mantle against it.

We should also try to think what kind of options the powerups open up for players. Slowmo slows down targets, but Speed directly counters it by negating the speed boost. KF gives damage increase to close-range attacks, but health regen negates the life lead a player would get from getting in. Speed increases the velocity of your target, but Slowmo negates it by bringing it down to your speed. Heath regen gives you extra life, but no other bonuses. We probably need a working build to balance it correctly, but there's no point in not planning ahead to how these powerups should be balanced.

EDIT: Instead of In The Zone increasing just melee, what if it increased damage to ALL weapons, including KF?
Hadji|DP

Postby TOGSolid » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:53 am

I'm actually not for seeing other people's meter, but I know its the popular opinion so I'm taking the mantle against it.

Ah, fair enough.

By going in blind, you're essentially turning every encounter into a guessing game.

Which is actually pretty fun. In Crysis 2 you have no way of knowing for sure how much energy he has left which just makes managing your own suit power that much more critical. If you get caught with your pants down, you may luck out and run into someone also running on fumes, or they may have full power and just style all over you. Not knowing just adds that much more tactical importance to managing your own correctly. If you make it obvious how much meter everyone has then people with no meter will just run away and try and feed on other no meter players. Likewise it opens up griefing opportunities for max meter guys to run around and intentionally pop people they know are easier targets.

EDIT: Instead of In The Zone increasing just melee, what if it increased damage to ALL weapons, including KF?

Or just have it give the guns really good accuracy no matter what they are.
ImageImageImage
TOGSolid

PreviousNext

Return to Double Action Development