Map suggestions

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Map suggestions

Postby Antagonist » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:35 pm

Post here about the maps you'd like to play in Double Action (working title).

Personally, I think that a central station like ts_metro would be quite essential.

Maps set during the vietnam war sounded pretty exciting too, especially since if we use the UDK, we can get those sweet foliage effects working.

Now that Stinkey has come back :3 Maybe he could make a new version of his Trident map which I really liked.

One thing that was discussed during a game last night was a map set in a tall tower with a few turbo lifts that went super fast. That kind of shit would be hilarious in the goldsrc engine because fast elevators fuck up the game. Don't know how fitting it would be here but still.

ProTip: show
Okay so I live in a city which is very rapidly expanding. There is a brand new shopping mall that looks kind of futuristic. New central station and metro stations that were finished this year and look even more futuristic. This kind of environment would look pretty cool in a video game. I could take some pictures and show you all. One of the coolest things about the metro in my city is that the tunnels run under the canal that runs through the city. It would be awesome if the metro map in Double Action could have both an underground section and an above ground section combined, giving rise to both the ts_gpc style and ts_metro style of game play.
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Re: Map suggestions

Postby Dan » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:43 pm

Yeah, definitely get some reference pics if you can.

Let's avoid ts_lobby.

Here are some quick ideas that are typical action movie fare:

Industrial Warehouse
Luxurious Mansion
Gritty Urban/Back Alley
Asia/Hong Kong/China Theme
Middle East / Modern Combat map (complete with snarky parody easter eggs)
Church with Religious Symbolism

Those are damn near every action movie fight I can think of.

A couple more:

Suburban map (middle class houses that you can enter a must)
A moving highway or train map (like ahl_train)
Mafia front business (some kind of store in the front of the map with a huge stash of weapons or cash for game modes in the back)
Car dealership
Some kind of hotel with multiple floors for adrenaline pumping, stair climbing action
ImageImage
Dan

Postby Antagonist » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:59 pm

Oh I don't know why I didn't think of this. During my time at different army and navy bases, I got to see a lot of places that were built during the cold war that looked pretty iconic to the era. Among them were tunnels built to survive bombs that had that cool "abandoned" look to them. I think that kind of place would be fitting. I didn't get to snap photos, but I sort of remember what such a place would look like (though I wouldn't want to undermine security of my former workplace, so I wouldn't put important details or layouts in the sketches lol).

ProTip: show
I did my basic training at this fortress base that was recently de-classified and opened to the public:

I always thought that the place had very interesting designs that would be usable in a video game. One of the cool things about it is that it looks so incredibly old fashioned from the outside, almost like a museum, but it was very modern when it comes to surveillance and communications. The whole island wouldn't really work (and the Island itself is a little too boring) in an action game but some designs are very cool and would fit on a streamlined fortress Island map.
Last edited by Antagonist on Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby Wish » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:07 pm

A classy penthouse. My old loft downtown would have made a good TS map. A fashionable residence with a good vertical element. In the same vein as Henningson or Dietrich. That always appealed to me about TS. The suits and classy settings. Class, class, class.
Wish

Postby Antagonist » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:10 pm

Gentlemen's FAG club anyone?
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby Wish » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:14 pm

Absolutely.
Wish

Postby ThinRedPaste » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:49 pm

opposite end of the spectrum from wish's suggestion - Slummy apartments with a bunch of flimsy/broken walls to smash through and several floors including a roof.

also, outdoor nighttime streets with some enterable buildings. Not as huge as urbannights, but along the same lines. That map wasn't the best for gameplay and flow, but good lord did I love the atmosphere.
Fuck this shit, I'm going to bed.
ThinRedPaste

Postby Venge » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:50 pm

Kissmeyerbasic, please.
Face witches get bitches.
Venge

Postby Vino » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:53 pm

NEW RULE

You may not suggest current TS maps. They were good maps (mostly) but we are reimagining not recreating.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby bryt » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:09 pm

I would like to see a map themed after the first Die Hard movie. A single tower with top floors being partially under construction. Gameplay is limited to the upper floors including the helipad (no ts_lobby type layout, god no). The map would mostly consist of play area inside the tower, but maybe allow people to fall out windows to their deaths. A general cool night-time theme with bloom lighting effects.

Potential Highlight areas:
-Board-room (open area with lots of breakable glass walls and tables)
-Utility-rooms (lots of pipes that burst out hurtful steam when shot)
-Elevator shafts (elevators will be stalled below to prevent lower level access)
-Helipad (open upper area with a central risen platform surrounded by lower open areas)
-Vault (potential objective area, with lots of cash debris)
-Office areas (off shoots with similar design to the board-room).
-An open area under construction, with potential tribute to hammertime.

Limit the size of explorable area to 3 floors worth, top floors (and not every piece of volume has to be explorable). Potentially allow people to use rappelling to burst into lower floors from above. Maybe litter the area with timed C4 explosives that can be armed and abandoned on a first-come first-serve basis. Place objectives in the Vault on the lowest floor for (extracting) cash, then set the extraction point to the helipad on top.

No shoes.
bryt

Postby mangaas » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:17 pm

I already mentioned this in the other thread, but 2 or 3 floors and the rooftop of the Nakatomi building from Die Hard would be awesome.

It could be a much much better TS_Lobby, and actually have way more routes connecting the floors and rooftop. Maybe even have a hose you can swing off the roof and smash through windows on all 4 sides of the building (if that's possible in Unreal) Its' got the unfinished upper floor, with some vents for shortcuts, an open oriental style board room lounge area, and the office floor with that cool fountain in the middle. And of course, have one of the office areas full of beautiful glass to shoot through in slow motion.

And maybe even have a helicopter with a spotlight roaming around the outside as decoration. give the upper area a more dynamic look by just having the lights roam across the roof.

Neo Tokyo had random models of futuristic hover plane thingies on the outdoor levels, so I don't think it's super hard.

*edit* lol, yes, I can see someone already agrees with me for once. DO IT
mangaas

Postby Vino » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:18 pm

Hidden room: Dead dude strapped to a chair in an elevator, "Ho ho ho" on his chest
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby mangaas » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:23 pm

Maybe even have a walkie talkie sitting atop some boxes in the renovation area, with samples from the movie of Uncle Carl (the black cop) asking if McClain is still there. Or other voice clips.
mangaas

Postby Tilaron » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:52 pm

cp_junction plz

and 2fort lololololo
TOGSolid wrote:Instead of treating these boards like a place to chill out and shoot the shit, y'all treat it like some sort of faggy trolling haven. Well fuck that noise, I'm out.

Tilaron

Postby Shogi » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:14 pm

I'd like to see maps with layering that really takes advantage of movement. That was one thing I don't think there was enough of in TS, most of the levels had pretty flat engagement areas or level design in general that didn't do much to take advantage of the range of movement players had. There were a couple low doors you could slide through and balconies you could dive off, but for the most part those areas felt few and far between. Maybe I need to replay them more, but I'm remembering maps like Lobby, etc.

ts_theater (is that right?) was pretty well done in this respect, as was ts_gpc.
Shogi

Next

Return to Double Action Development