Stunts: How Could They be Changed?

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Re: Stunts: How Could They be Changed?

Postby bryt » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:05 am

Vino wrote:Alright. I don't think we need third person animations so high quality that they take 3x longer than I indicated, and I don't see a problem with guns not always pointing exactly where the shots are going. I especially don't get what you mean when you suggest I'm trying to do this unconventionally, I don't see that at all. So I still disagree and I suppose that's where the discussion rests.

i'm not really accusing you of being unconventional, but I do think you underestimate a few things: A) how important the third-person animations will be. B) how much work that implies. C) what a good 3rd-person camera requires

choosing to make a traditional FPS (first and foremost) is just a logical path for the simplest production plan in my opinion. there is no real "standard" model to follow for 3rd-person that accurately fits the bill of this game, at least no good ones I'm familiar with. so the fear is that you are leaning towards making your own standard. that takes a lot of work, not to mention there is a good chance that no single solution will make everyone happy. you'll have to forgive me if I don't quite trust you and a team of volunteers to nail that in a satisfactory way. it sounds like a fun goal, but here's me trying to be realistic (surprise!)... just trying to help. i'm still all for it as a suppliment to the FPS gameplay though (i'll even help make it, if allowed), as long as we all understand the opportunity cost when/if we finally plug it in. in my mind, the 3rd-person component would be a game changer that shouldn't be underestimated... both from a production standpoint and as a gameplay effect.
bryt

Postby ThinRedPaste » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:48 pm

I just... don't want to play in third person. at least not all the time. plus, I'm a gun person; I like seeing a badass gun model taking up a large amount of real estate on my screen. How about this: do your third person, with an adjustable camera linked with the head bone - and have the model's head always follow the crosshair. ALSO have code so that it doesn't attempt to draw your own head if the camera is inside it. That way i can set a fake (arguably more real?) first person camera if I want to, with the added benefit of seeing my feet when i look down, as well as still see all the limb movement during stunts and stuff. Shooting past your own feet in a first person backward dive = very cool.

Oh wait, rolls would seriously break that. unless the camera rolled with your model, which I'd be down with. Either way, I'd really prefer some kind of first person.

semi-related: V models allow for some super slick animations that won't necessarily work for a third person thing, too.
Fuck this shit, I'm going to bed.
ThinRedPaste

Postby TOGSolid » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:30 pm

3rd person really should be optional. I play in 3rd person pretty much exclusively, but I know I'm definitely in the minority. A lot of people enjoy 1st just cause of the immersion factor and others cause their aim gets all fucky in 3rd.
ImageImageImage
TOGSolid

Postby Vspec » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:51 pm

fuck wall climbing, we need wall running!
Takub wrote: George Clooney building a fuckchair in his basement.

Weedwacker wrote:Show them asian girls what a circumcised dick looks like

Vspec

Postby Wish » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:53 pm

No!
Wish

Postby TOGSolid » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:42 pm

Wall running that lets you run straight up the wall. Yes plz.
ImageImageImage
TOGSolid

Postby Venge » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:57 am

TOGSolid wrote:Wall running that lets you run straight up the wall. Yes plz.

Yes please.
Face witches get bitches.
Venge

Previous

Return to Double Action Development