Double Action Boogaloo Version 1.0 Feature List

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Double Action Boogaloo Version 1.0 Feature List

Postby Vino » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:52 pm

This post represents the latest draft of the feature list of the first version of our new action masturpiece. This is a working document and is under constant revision. Finished stuff in italics.

OVERVIEW
Name: Double Action Boogaloo
Engine: Source: Orange Box SDK
Price: FREE!

FEATURES
Weapons
(These are minimum. If the artists get more done they may be considered for inclusion if there's time.)
Melee
2 Pistols
2 Sub-Machine Guns
1 Shotgun
1 Rifle

Controls
WASD - Movement
Spacebar - Jump
E - Pick up a weapon
Z - Activate meter
Shift - Aim-in
RMB - Stunt
MMB - Melee attack

Melee breakdown
dedicated "brawl" weapon with light/heavy attacks
offhand pistol whipping/rifle smacking, damage and speed determined by weapon weight

No disarming

Melee should feel deliberate and violent – Brawling rather than kung fu.

Pistol breakdown
One light pistol – Beretta~ 15 bullet capacity (can be fired very quickly, has very low recoil, does low damage)
One heavy pistol – M1911 (med-fast fire rate, higher damage, higher recoil)

SMG breakdown
One "controlled" SMG: MP5k (two handed animations, low recoil, med-high accuracy, low damage)
One "wild" SMG: Ingram MAC-10 (one handed animations, barely controllable fire rate and recoil, low accuracy, high damage)

Shotgun breakdown
Mossberg 590 (pump action, fairly tight spread for a video game shotgun. Aim in for Rate of Fire boost)

Rifle breakdown
FN FAL (high damage, medium rate of fire, longest effective range, largest aim-in bonus)
Difficult to use in close quarters due to very poor hipfire accuracy and high recoil. Aiming in gives a very large buff to accuracy and reduction in recoil.

Style meter
The player has a meter. In the menu the player can set the meter to a certain skill. At spawn, this skill will be partially active. As he performs various activities the meter fills up, some activities are more filling than others. Killing other players stylishly offers more meter. Taking and giving damage offers some meter. When full, the style skill activates fully, giving additional bonuses related to the selected skill. Also, for a 3 kill streak with an active skill, the player regains 50 HP (half their normal life). Meter can be gained while skill is active, but gain is reduced meaning you have to stay stylish to keep your skill active.

Things that get style points:
Killing other players (low)
Damaging other players (low)
Damaging other players while stunting (medium)

Facing away from explosions (medium) - Vino why haven't you done this yet? --TRP
Killing other players while stunting (high)
Damaging/killing other players with grenades and melee weapons (medium/high)

Killing another player with a weapon that was originally theirs (high) - and this too --TRP

Meter skills:
Marksman: Spawn bonuses – reduced recoil, improved accuracy. Active bonuses – drastically reduced recoil and improved accuracy, infinite ammo. Meter drained by – firing (meter consumed in place of bullets)

Bouncer: spawn bonuses – slight run speed and melee damage increase. Active bonuses – larger bonuses. Meter drained by – melee attacks

Athletic: spawn bonuses – faster run speed, higher dives, longer slides. Active bonuses – much faster run speed, much higher dives and longer slides Meter drained by – stunts

Reflexes: spawn with one second of super slow-mo. Super slowmo increases the speed advantage the player has in slow-mo. Filling the meter grants 3 additional seconds of super slow-mo. Meter resets when filled

Resilient: spawn bonuses – 25% additional health, better health regen. Active bonuses – 200% health, rapid health regen. Meter drained by – health regen

Nitrophiliac: spawn bonuses – one extra grenade. Active bonuses – infinite grenades. Meter drained by – chucking grenades

Stunting
The player can at any time press the stunt button (RMB) to execute a context-sensitive stunt. Stunting reduces fall damage

Stunt button alone: Go to prone
Moving + crouch + stunt button: Go to slide in the direction of movement
Moving + jump + stunt button: Dive in the direction of movement (can punch/pistol whip while diving, no additional damage)

Dive behavior: two options. Option 1: automatically roll out of dives, unless overridden. Override by holding stunt key or movement key to slide, reverse movement key to land prone. Option 2: land prone by default, hold movement key to roll out, hold stunt to slide.

Other stunts:
Double-tap crouch: Roll in the direction of movement

Maps
Yes

Player models
At least two

Scoring
All kills are one point.

Game Modes
Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch

Story
Individual for each map. Window comes up after the MOTD showing the story.

Character Chooser
After the player connects to a server, reads the MOTD and the map story, he'll be presented with a screen to choose a character, with short backgrounds on each character.

Camera
Focus on first person.
Third person also available.

TONE
Double Action: Boogaloo is a somewhat comical genre-savvy game. It's aware that it is an action game, and doesn't expect players to take it any more seriously than that. It should try to highlight the typical action movie things like diving while shooting and walking away from explosions.

DEVELOPMENT
I will be focusing on the features in this order:
1. Core movement and stunt mechanics. All stunts implemented, smooth, and well-designed.
2. Placeholder weapons in all categories. Begin weapon design and interaction balancing. All 1.0 weapons implemented including akimbos.
3. Loadout mechanics and user interface. Give each map a story. Refine scoring.
4. Style meter.
5. Add Team Deathmatch.
6. Bug fixing, final playtesting and release.

Assets will be added as they become available. We will hold playtests and balancing throughout.

ART ASSETS REQUIRED
See Art thread

Extra features if possible: (included only things that most people seem in agreement on --TRP)

Athletic skill specific stunt (aerial flips?)

wallrunning:
Jump straight at wall, hold jump: mantle/climb/vertical wall run (climb objects no more than one story tall, can dive out)
Jump at wall on angle, hold jump: lateral wallrun (can dive out)

Special melee attacks chained from certain stunts, gaining power the longer the player stays in the stunt – intended as high risk, high reward mechanic/finishing move. From crouch slide: rising uppercut. From wall run: lunging haymaker.

Last revised: March 16 by ThinRedPaste
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Re: Action Boogaloo Version 1.0 Feature List

Postby Wish » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:38 pm

Sounds fantastic overall. I'm not sure I get the aim-in feature for pistols if it has no benefit, but I wouldn't want to have to aim in with my pistols anyway, so no problem.

two concerns:

1 - you say the pistol rof is slow. Slow as in they are semi-automatic, not full, or slow as in you're going to impose a ROF cap to limit how quickly shots can be fired?

2 - Moving + crouch + stunt button: Roll in the direction of movement
Why not just dig the double tap crouch roll? (I know it's an extraneous command, and you want it all linked to the stunt button for simplicity - but this input sounds awkward to me)

Great list. Definitely on the right track.
Wish

Postby Hadji|DP » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:53 pm

Sounds like an awesome game already, just even on paper. I have one concern, which I've brought up before in other threads.

Scoring
Separate kill and score counts.

I feel that the meter makes score counts redundant. If you're playing the game right, you're going to be using your rewards from meter to gain even more kills. Score count would give a false impression of skill, because it would be a double reward (you get meter points AND score points).

Just thinking towards the atmosphere of the game, your score could be expressed in Bodycount and Losses. Bodycount is the amount of kills you have. Losses is the amount of times you were killed. Absolutely no change from the conception of K/D ratio, but it emphasizes the "action film" part of the game and the "game" part of the game.
Hadji|DP

Postby Venge » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:56 pm

Looks good to me. I think it'll be a great game if the damage values are kept reasonably high.

Engine: Unreal?

2, 2.5, 3, or 3.5?
Face witches get bitches.
Venge

Postby Vino » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:32 pm

Wish wrote:Slow as in they are semi-automatic, not full

This.

Wish wrote:Why not just dig the double tap crouch roll?

There's been a lot of concerns about double tap rolling. We might end up doing that in addition to this, it'd be worth testing out. We'll see.

@Hadji you're right about the score counts. Removed.

@Venge: UDK actually. I'm still not entirely clear on the difference but I don't want the players to have to own Unreal to use it.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Venge » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:39 pm

Ah, wonderful. UDK is based on enhanced Unreal 3, or unofficially Unreal 3.5. A great choice.
Venge

Postby Wish » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:54 pm

Vino wrote:Assurances

Wish

Postby Antagonist » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Looks alright.

I am still very sketchy about the disarms adding to the fun but it will be interesting to see if they can...
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby bryt » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:02 pm

i probably should have mentioned this before but... well I don't really like the idea of the meter perks being something you choose between outside of the actual realtime gameplay. just seems clunky to me and will likely introduce all kinds of balance issues. inevitably something is going to over-power the other options and then we'll play a juggling game forever trying to get it right.

in my opinion the perks should all be available at all times in-game. how you use the perks would be a natural extension of your play-style and the choices you make. Crysis 2 did this really well and it makes the gameplay so much more interesting. having it all at your fingertips makes each feature that much more important and makes the effort put into making them good that much more worthwhile.

-Health regen could be natural while your meter is full, and only while its full.
-Melee bonus works when you have enough meter to use it, and you perform a melee attack. If meter is available and you do a melee, then you will use the ability, and you have no real choice about it. If you don't want to lose meter, then don't use the melee.
-Slow motion would have it's own button action for activation, always available when requirements are met.
-Speed would have it's own button, like the shift key or something. using it would be like using stamina in countless other games, switch for the meter.

obvious sell: not having to deal with more menu. I'm pretty much convinced that action games shouldn't have menus with more than one important key selection. people either don't bother to use the other options most of the time, or they hang up gameplay with time spent thinking about the options. oh and, less menu to worry about.

also, while I'm spreading poison. Aiming should be on the right-mouse imho. Stunting or running should be on Shift. no biggy since I assume we'll be able to reassign easy enough tho.
bryt

Postby Hadji|DP » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:13 pm

sorry to quote myself, but...
Also by forcing players to only have one ability, players must make a choice that will translate into how they play the game, much like loadout forces players to think about their overall gameplan. You have slow-motion, but the other players will have speed, health regeneration, and the ability to fuck you up with melee attacks. Or maybe there will be melee-oriented players who use health-regen as a way to tank. Players can experiment with different loadouts and abilities, giving a degree of tinkering for those looking for more than a mindless shooting game.

There is a certain dimension added, not to mention a diversity in play styles, and simplicity in having only 1 powerup available to players at a time. By "menu" i believe Vino means something like the loadout menu in TS whenever you first joined a server or died.
Hadji|DP

Postby Venge » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:23 pm

I like the meter idea with selectable abilities, though I do have one question concerning slow-motion.

Will it be done in a similar way to slow-pause? Or will it be the same to everyone in the bubble?
Venge

Postby BullHorn » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:21 pm

I don't understand the shotgun gaining accuracy by the aim-in. The spread will become tighter? Makes no sense..

The game needs a Gordon model from HL1 and an old map from an old game like de_dust or ts_central to begin testing of the planned features as soon as they exist.
[Stink.Inc | BullHorn]
BullHorn

Postby Vino » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:47 pm

@Venge: Even slow-mo in TS had a slight advantage for the person who activated it. It'd probably be somewhere between 2.0 slowmo and 2.0 slowpause, we'd have to fiddle with it for sure.

@Bullhorn: That concerns me too. We'll figure something out I'm sure.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Hadji|DP » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:03 pm

just an idea.

what if the bonus slow-mo gives was treated as the following: Everyone else is slowed down but if brought to relative speed, the player activating the slow-mo gains the same movement bonus found in the speed powerup? Essentially the speed powerup effects your personal speed, but slow-mo effects everyone except the activating player.
Hadji|DP

Postby misanq » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:17 am

If you're going to give aim-in to weapons that gain no benifit from it, might I suggest doing the old TS thing of having it toggle a different hand grip?
Also, how is speed and better jumping going to compare to the advantages of slow mo or health regen?
Also, I think the capture the flag mode people were talking about would add a lot of depth to the game for relatively little work, especially if it reused the DM maps. Much more than an auxiliary view mode, for instance.
Also, do you have a select fire option in mind?
misanq

Next

Return to Double Action Development