Double Action Boogaloo Version 1.0 Feature List

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Re: Double Action Boogaloo Version 1.0 Feature List

Postby Lithe » Fri May 03, 2013 7:40 am

Dementei wrote:So what's up? Release this weekend?

Hopefully, I finished off akimbos a couple days ago so everything just needs to be put together for a release.
Lithe

Postby Wish » Fri May 03, 2013 9:12 am

Deal me in.
Wish

Postby Antagonist » Fri May 03, 2013 5:36 pm

You gonna have something by sunday? Hmm? I'd love to come and join y'all on sunday. Mmmmh.
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby Wish » Fri May 03, 2013 5:44 pm

Wish

Postby Vino » Sat May 04, 2013 10:18 am

Let's do this like brutus.

New version will be up soon and the server updated shortly after. Then we can have our playtest today or tomorrow.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Daniel » Sat May 04, 2013 11:01 am

Today would be great.
Daniel

Postby winner1324 » Fri May 10, 2013 11:29 pm

Wasn't sure if I should post bugs that I encountered here or somewhere else, but I have a few of them.
1.) I am able to constantly reload while holding the akimbo weapons. I still have full clips.
2.) Sometimes I am not able to reload the pistols manually.
3.) Why is the weapon model now on the left? It doesn't bother me, just curious.
winner1324

Postby Vino » Fri May 10, 2013 11:34 pm

Thanks. I think these have been taken care of, they'll be fixed next version, which incidentally I should have released already.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Vino » Sun May 19, 2013 2:56 pm

I've just made a commit that places a map description area to the side of the MOTD, in the space that used to just say "TOP SECRET" etc. Now there's some space where the map designer can put some text to try to frame the context of the map. If you make a file da_yourmap.htm and make it the same name as your map and in the same directory as the bsp then that's what will be loaded into that space. I'll leave it up to the map designers to make those descriptions, but remember it's an HTML file, so you can use images if you like, screenshots of the map or drawings whatever. Or maybe you'd like to do it with just text, whatever you guys think is best.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Vino » Sun May 19, 2013 7:35 pm

Also I fixed buying akimbos and I started folderizing the buy menu. It's not half of what I wanted to do with this UI/HUD overhaul I've been trying to do for ages, but it'll have to do because finals are coming up. I'll finish the rest some other weekend. Binaries are in DB and I'll package up a build some time tonight, even though I haven't done much, because I promised TRP I'd do it two weeks ago and I'm a lazy bum. Get your stuff in.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Black_Stormy » Mon May 20, 2013 2:09 am

Lithe wrote:I would like to have akimbo pistols as a powerup since it's so cool, and I think everyone running around with them would cheapen it. What I'm thinking is that it could be like a unique powerup that imparts the spirit of John Woo upon the holder until they die, where upon the item is dropped and can be picked up again. I think this would create a cool competitive dynamic in pubs where the direct-to-dvd pubstars should target the akimbo wielding silverscreen superstar to get his slice of cool. The powerup itself could work in one of two ways, either give the player a unique model flat out (cheapest to do, logistically) or double their current pistol (more work, but would give an added layer of variance). I'm leaning more toward the former myself.

This solves the issue of 'just another gun' some people may have, lets us lazy programmers get out of having to add another menu entry to the weapon selection, reinforces the powerup concept we have, and gives our game an added degree of character. Anyone else like the sound of this?

I'd like to necro this post and mention that I think this is the best idea I have read in this thread so far. I was underwhelmed when I scrolled down to my akimbos in my first play. My reaction was akin to "Oh, akimbos. That's cool I guess." If it was a powerup it would add to the appeal greatly. Much like finding tier twos in left 4 dead. Even after several thousand matches I still love picking up that auto shotty or M4. Actually in left 4 dead you also had a pickup for akimbos and it is a good example of the advantage it should give and the potential awesomeness. It would move the attitude towards duallies from indifference to "YEAH! AKIMBOS BITCH!" if they were a limited access item. Also having akimbos makes the pistol obsolete. I know there are gameplay differences in one pistol vs two but cosmetically a player is going to assume that they do more damage with two pistols. If that doesn't happen the player will overestimate how much the akimbos have been nerfed. If you're worried about balance, one option could be to treat them like any other special weapon pickup in that the second pistol has a full clip and then it's gone. What's cooler than emptying a full clip and then throwing the weapon away carelessly? Special weapon pickups would add to gameplay variation greatly. Each match could play out differently depending on who got the specials and how they used them.

Also the M60 idea is great, it has the inherent limitation of making you a target for every other player on the map. If you want to further nerf it for balance it could slow the player down, limit their stunting abilities or prevent stunting at all. I think if you had it spewing tracer rounds the bullet trail would act as an arrow to the player holding it, letting everyone know where they are. Another bonus could be extra style points for killing a player wielding specials.

If my vote counts for anything I'm putting it on special weapons pickups, especially akimbos.
Black_Stormy

Postby BullHorn » Mon May 20, 2013 7:50 am

The new version overwrites your .cfg files, plx fix.

You can slide up stairs, is that intended?

Also, when you fire with a single pistol and move to the Akimbo variant without reloading, the quantity of loaded bullets corresponds to the amount that was wasted however after you reload the Akimbo variant and go back to the single pistol, it's not always reloaded (This problem alternates on/off depending on which pistol was shot - hard to describe in words... -edit: and I fail to reproduce it...)
[Stink.Inc | BullHorn]
BullHorn

Previous

Return to Double Action Development