Double Action Boogaloo Version 1.0 Feature List

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Re: Double Action Boogaloo Version 1.0 Feature List

Postby Vino » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:22 am

Got all of Lithe's stuff merged in. Also a few tweaks of my own:

* Fixed some detail sprite precaching problem that someone asked me to fix a while ago.
* Fixed the "Worth it!" message not appearing sometimes.
* If the player presses q and there's no last held weapon (the player threw it away or something) then automatically switch to whatever the next highest weight weapon is.

I'm not going to make a new version because there's not much stuff, but the server is updated so we should be okay to test for a while. A lot of this weekend was spent catching up on other stuff, but that's all caught up on now, so until finals week starts I should be a little more available, and once it ends I'll be a lot more available. Yippie ki aye motherfuckers.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Lithe » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:26 am

Added random power up spawn option, as per Misanq's request.
Add respawn min/max delay, the two are used to define a randomised respawn interval as per ThinRedPaste's request.
Removed 'deny' announcement, however you still receive style for denying people, as per Vino's request
Powerups themselves have been changed to these, as per ThinRedPaste's request:

Health - gives 100 health
Style - fills style gauge
Magazine - gives you a single magazine, tripled in size
Slowmo - gives you 5 seconds of slow motion
Grenade - gives you a grenade

Bonuse amounts can be changed with the da_powerup_* family of cvars. I have suspicion that da_powerup_magazine will be one that gets changed first. Note that da_powerup_style should be in the range of 0~1 and da_powerup_magazine is an integer.

I tested it all and it works fine, I do believe all that I have to do is write up a FGD and then I'll release it here for general consumption. We talked about the timed powerups on IRC, and decided against them for the curious. The M60 was removed in favour of adding 'special weapon' pickups, but I think this is still tentative for now. We still need models for all the pickups, and a respawn and pickup sound would be nice too. Free free to discuss here some more, or in #doubleaction on quakenet.

'Mateba, my dear friend!'
Lithe

Postby Antagonist » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:37 am

Just give players a grenade launcher from the power up instead. Give it three rounds. Way cooler, and way more attractive. It should have less shrapnel damage than the hand grenade but deal as much direct damage and immediate splash damage. Think long range, less tactical (no lobbing or cooking) and way smaller blast radius.
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby Dementei » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:39 am

OoOoOo gruhnayde lawnchar 8) antag u hav tha best ideas, HURRY SOMEONE MODEL IT!!!
Dementei
BIG D

Postby Antagonist » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:51 am

No man, sirius. If we already have nitro that spams the map with grenades with huge blast radius, but still want to add something that is explosive that can be picked up, then it's pretty boring to just have the same grenades. Why not have something like a low ammo deal that does things a little differently? I mean, if there's gonna be a 30 second / 100 round M60 in there, then why not?
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby Dementei » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:17 am

But I am also serious, I think it's a great idea. Also I just changed my avatar to my kitty kat Toki 8) he so handsome as seen in DAB kickstarter vid.
Dementei
BIG D

Postby Lithe » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:00 pm

Antagonist wrote:I mean, if there's gonna be a 30 second / 100 round M60 in there, then why not?

There are no timed power ups anymore, though tentatively there may be special weapons. ThinRedPaste actually brought up the idea of a grenade launcher on IRC too. I think it's a bit silly to pour resources into something you'll see very little, but I suppose that could be said of all special weapons. That said I'm sure if someone were to create all the media for a grenade launcher then we'd use it.

EDIT:
Started a Double Action FGD, you can get it here (save to da.fgd): http://paste2.org/8Iwc7ExA
All I did were follow the information on this page: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/FGD If we want each powerup to be its own entity, I think that may be done by turning da_powerup into a baseclass that each individual powerup entity subclasses, in each subclass you'd just have to change the default spawnflags. I think so, anyway.

When spawnflags are 0 then a random powerup is selected _once_ at map load. Multiple flags can be set too, a random one from the lot will spawn each time the respawn timer expires. When Min/Max variance differ then the powerup will respawn randomly within that window. I think that's about it, though I should mention that I've yet to test the FGD myself.
Lithe

Postby ThinRedPaste » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:57 pm

Hey. Hey guys, hey. Coders. vino, lithe, shmoppa. We still don't have akimbos. that's a problem. I think vino has been putting them off because he sees them as just another gun, but I don't see it that way. I see it as akimbos being THE weapons, and a really major part of the aesthetic we're going for. the game is significantly lessened by their absence. Also any balance we try to do without having them in is kind of worthless.
Fuck this shit, I'm going to bed.
ThinRedPaste

Postby shmopaloppa » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:04 pm

someone needs to compile a view model...
shmopaloppa
T-rex > : (

Postby ThinRedPaste » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:50 pm

Do what we did for all the other ones: jack a placeholder model from gamebanana for now. Actually, I'll do that.
ThinRedPaste

Postby DragonNinja » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:12 pm

If you're gonna use placeholder Colts then..

http://css.gamebanana.com/skins/18091

You know, just cuz.
DragonNinja

Postby misanq » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:27 pm

Akimbos are one of those iconic things like diving and slo mo that set up the atmosphere of the game, you can't really not have akimbos. That said, I would have liked to see akimbos done as a tolerable secondary fire mode for pistols (and the mp5k), the same as aim in, rather than as a specific akimbo only weapon unto itself.
misanq

Postby Lithe » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:19 pm

I would like to have akimbo pistols as a powerup since it's so cool, and I think everyone running around with them would cheapen it. What I'm thinking is that it could be like a unique powerup that imparts the spirit of John Woo upon the holder until they die, where upon the item is dropped and can be picked up again. I think this would create a cool competitive dynamic in pubs where the direct-to-dvd pubstars should target the akimbo wielding silverscreen superstar to get his slice of cool. The powerup itself could work in one of two ways, either give the player a unique model flat out (cheapest to do, logistically) or double their current pistol (more work, but would give an added layer of variance). I'm leaning more toward the former myself.

This solves the issue of 'just another gun' some people may have, lets us lazy programmers get out of having to add another menu entry to the weapon selection, reinforces the powerup concept we have, and gives our game an added degree of character. Anyone else like the sound of this?
Lithe

Postby ThinRedPaste » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:34 am

they're too iconic to NOT have everyone running around with them all the time. I also support the idea of a single/akimbo toggle button on pistols. not sure if I support akimbo mp5ks or smgs in general.
ThinRedPaste

Postby Dementei » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:35 am

I actually like Lithe's idea of the akimbo powerup and when someone dies they would drop it and someone else could take it from there, it adds another goal to DM but I feel like that would fall into The One mode where everyone would just be trying to get them in which case then it would be better to make it a separate game mode. Let's see how your powerups go as they are now though. I understand in making the akimbos a "rare" weapon but it may just be best to add it in the menu and set it as a normal weapon option, should be done the same in TS where you can select one weapon from your slot and not a static akimbo weapon. To go above and beyond would be able to mix and match different pistols but that would only be the p99 and colt thus far. Or rather akimbo doesn't even have to be a menu item, just make it so you can select two of the P99s or Colts or one P99 and one Colt then just have an option in the slot as like 3 or 4 to go to akimbo. ALSO would be cool if left click was left gun and right click was right gun although that would mess up the control scheme, or maybe just add that as a client option.
Dementei
BIG D

PreviousNext

Return to Double Action Development