Double Action Boogaloo Version 1.0 Feature List

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Re: Action Boogaloo Version 1.0 Feature List

Postby TOGSolid » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:28 pm

I've been thinking about the whole health issue. I think a Far Cry 2/Riddick system would be best in which the health bar is broken up into 4 or 5 bars. Each bar will regenerate on its own but once it's gone it's gone. I like the FC2/Riddick system a lot because minor nicks and scrapes aren't a big deal but you can't just hide and recover all your health if you get seriously wounded. The health regen powerup could allow lost bars to recover.
ImageImageImage
TOGSolid

Postby Hadji|DP » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:58 pm

TOGSolid wrote:I've been thinking about the whole health issue. I think a Far Cry 2/Riddick system would be best in which the health bar is broken up into 4 or 5 bars. Each bar will regenerate on its own but once it's gone it's gone. I like the FC2/Riddick system a lot because minor nicks and scrapes aren't a big deal but you can't just hide and recover all your health if you get seriously wounded. The health regen powerup could allow lost bars to recover.

I really like this kind of system of health regen. If this game were to have a health regen system outside of powerups, it should be like this.
Hadji|DP

Postby Antagonist » Thu May 05, 2011 7:11 pm

yeah I also thought about something like this, that you'd have one bar that functions like a "shield" bar that can regen when you're not taking damage. Each time your bar runs dry, you lose one actual "health point" and can't regen it. And it can't be refilled easily. Of course, since the players aren't space ships, it wouldn't be called "shield" but rather something like "stamina" or "grit". However I wonder what Vino thinks about this kinda health.

I whipped up some concept art for the kind of system with a "shield bar". Never mind the child's drawing in portraying a rooftop battle against enemy pigs with a view of snowy Moscow in the background. I got really carried away after drawing that first pig. The important thing about the picture is the health bar thingy.
ProTip: show
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby Vino » Thu May 05, 2011 7:30 pm

The idea of regenerating health is to make sure the player always has the same amount of health going into any given area in a singleplayer game. It gives the level designer an easier time designing areas because he knows exactly how much health the player is going to have in any given section. That's why games like Halo and Gears do this.

In multiplayer this applies differently. Regenerating health means that when a firefight begins, players always have full health, or a certain amount of health. I suppose that somewhat reduces the random factor of firefights, since things are always even or at least more consistent. I can't really envision how that would play out in multiplayer so I suppose that'll be one of those "We'll see" things. It could be good, it could be bad, we'll work it out in playtesting.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Afion » Fri May 06, 2011 4:51 am

Isn't that what Halo did? Start watching at 1:10.
Afion

Postby Vino » Fri May 06, 2011 10:33 am

Wow that's some good memories. I loved Halo 1.

Anyway yeah that idiot blew himself up with his own grenade but yes. It worked out pretty well for them in multiplayer too.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Wish » Fri May 06, 2011 4:07 pm

Vino wrote:The idea of regenerating health is to make sure the player always has the same amount of health going into any given area in a singleplayer game. It gives the level designer an easier time designing areas because he knows exactly how much health the player is going to have in any given section. That's why games like Halo and Gears do this.

In multiplayer this applies differently. Regenerating health means that when a firefight begins, players always have full health, or a certain amount of health. I suppose that somewhat reduces the random factor of firefights, since things are always even or at least more consistent. I can't really envision how that would play out in multiplayer so I suppose that'll be one of those "We'll see" things. It could be good, it could be bad, we'll work it out in playtesting.

You can do it in increments - If you're wounded down to 75, you regen up to 100. If you're down to 50, you go up to 75, 25-50, 25< to 25 - it would eliminate having to pointlessly walk around with 1hp waiting for someone to drop you.

edit: I just noticed tog suggested this first. Props.

But I'm not actually suggesting that. I'm fine with normal non-regenerating health, and I would be against full-regenerating health, ala Call of Duty. I feel like there should be a penalty for getting hit.

I'm sure it'll be fine.
Last edited by Wish on Fri May 06, 2011 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wish

Postby Antagonist » Fri May 06, 2011 4:29 pm

I'm much more interested in that "melee bar and bullet/knives/bomb bar" solution we discussed earlier.

ProTip: show
That video sure brought me back. Fucking loved Halo 1.

However, the guy playing in that video is calling it a walk through but he didn't even seem to know about the stealth Elite in the first forerunner laboratory. I'm sure anyone who had an xbox back in 2001 was used to doing no damage runs on that level.
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby Vino » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:20 am

Okay so after spending pretty much the entire evening with UDK I could not get working a single debugger for UnrealScript. I refuse to do development without a debugger. I don't know why there's so many people willing to make Unreal/UDK mods without an UnrealScript debugger, but I'm certainly not. If this guy gets back to me about the debugger he wrote and it doesn't suck then I'll think about using UDK but otherwise no fucking way. I'd rather go back to Source than have to code without a debugger.

edit: Looks like I was able to get it working after all.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby TOGSolid » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:48 pm

Afion wrote:Isn't that what Halo did? Start watching at 1:10.

Ugh, I forgot how visually bad that game was. It hurts my eyes just looking at it.
ImageImageImage
TOGSolid

Postby Antagonist » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:13 pm

if its nothl2 itsnot pretty
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby Vino » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:20 pm

Yeah, I really don't know about UDK. The multiplayer support is really bad and there's no good free debuggers.

I suppose going back to Source is an option, but... I'd rather not. And I can't think of any other good engines.

(And don't say CryEngine, nobody mods seriously on that engine.)
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Shogi » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:58 pm

We could perhaps prototype on Source, drum up support and figure out where to go from there. Maybe set up a donation system so we can pay for a real engine.
Shogi

Postby Vino » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:01 pm

Source does have a good supply of artists and level designers still, and the mod community is decent even if it's not what it used to be. From what I remember though, the slow motion might be a bit tough to pull off on that engine.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Flakk » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:06 am

I find it weird to say that "Source" have a good supply of artists. As if artists were somehow limited to specific engines. If you know how to make game art, learning how to integrate and working with a new engine is trivial.
Flakk

PreviousNext

Return to Double Action Development