Double Action Boogaloo Version 1.0 Feature List

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Re: Action Boogaloo Version 1.0 Feature List

Postby Ivarrr » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:47 am

Vino wrote:.
(And don't say CryEngine, nobody mods seriously on that engine.)

?
ImageImageImageImage
Ivarrr

Postby TOGSolid » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:34 am

Ivarrr wrote:
Vino wrote:.
(And don't say CryEngine, nobody mods seriously on that engine.)

?

brb
ImageImageImage
TOGSolid

Postby bryt » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:04 am

i do hope it didnt take that long for you to get your cherry popped. MWLL has been awesome for a while.
bryt

Postby TOGSolid » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:28 am

I just got it working. I've tried it before and it would always explode in new and exciting ways. The latest build finally works for me though.

I need to go read up on the mechanics, things work a bit differently than in Mechwarrior :3
ImageImageImage
TOGSolid

Postby Vino » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:42 pm

Flakk wrote:I find it weird to say that "Source" have a good supply of artists. As if artists were somehow limited to specific engines. If you know how to make game art, learning how to integrate and working with a new engine is trivial.

Level designers in particular need to learn a new tool set to switch engines. Artists don't have that many hurdles but there's still the issue of compiling the art that needs to be learned per engine. But since there's so many people doing TF2 and whatever levels and art, there's at least a few level designers out there.

So maybe "nobody" was exaggerated. Anyway I don't think CryEngine's strengths are for us, we don't need that kind of scale. I can't think of any other well-suited engines either, other than UDK and Source.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby bryt » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:37 pm

Unity, but i dont know how you feel about starting from that kind of launchpoint. very artist friendly though.
bryt

Postby Vino » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:01 pm

There is Unity. I don't really think of it as an FPS kind of engine but I suppose it's worth looking into. I hear horror stories about working on a Unity title in large teams. Their website says they support multiplayer and their licensing would work for us so maybe I'll look into Unity next.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby bryt » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:57 pm

yeah, i have reservations on running a non-profit project via unity. its easy for artists to work with, but for technical development it could get nasty with too many people involved... and i am not sure what to make of it. People who succeed using it dont really ever do so unless they are all working together in the same office, where communication is obviously not a strong barrier.

Arguing that unity is not good for FPS games has some weight, i'm afraid... but that doesn't mean it cant be done because it has been. It just hasn't been done notably well yet to my knowledge. In the end we'll probably spend a great deal of effort just getting a mediocre FPS mechanic working well. On the plus side, Unity engine is pretty awesome on the performance end, and we could probably make our game deployable to and playable from a website launcher. At the very least it could streamline a community beta testing process later on.
bryt

Postby Minimum » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:02 pm

Other than the poor documentation on Source is there really any other weak points with the engine?

I just feel like we should work on an engine we all have a pretty good grasp on in one way or another. The only two I can think of would either be Source or UDK.
Minimum

Postby Vino » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:53 pm

Lack of support, for one. I've long said that nobody should really be using Source except Valve. But now that I rethink about it, that probably only applies to people working towards a profit, which we're not.

Source is quite good if you're doing what Valve wants to do, which by and large we are. There's a couple features that might be tough on Source (I remember when I was doing CF thinking how difficult slowmo would be on that engine) but it'd be more or less exactly suited for what Action Boogaloo is going for. Bryan had some horror stories doing the animation rig and since Valve doesn't really release their tools the public pipeline for art can be a little bit difficult. But still somehow there's tons of artists, it might not be a problem.

Agree with everything Bryan said.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Venge » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:14 am

I've got an idea

okay listen

okay so

okay

what we do is

listen what we do is

just listen okay

I've got an idea

idtech4.
Face witches get bitches.
Venge

Postby Flakk » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:56 am

Vino wrote:There is Unity. I don't really think of it as an FPS kind of engine but I suppose it's worth looking into. I hear horror stories about working on a Unity title in large teams. Their website says they support multiplayer and their licensing would work for us so maybe I'll look into Unity next.

We use Unity at work... I wouldn't recommend it. I'm not too informed of the coding side of it, but yes, working more than one person on a project in Unity is anything but smooth.
And the "engine for dummies" interface of it is really annoying sometimes. Everything is so automated and ready made.
It also doesn't have a (can't remember the proper name for it now) material editor.
Flakk

Postby Afion » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:18 am

Vino wrote:Okay so after spending pretty much the entire evening with UDK I could not get working a single debugger for UnrealScript. I refuse to do development without a debugger. I don't know why there's so many people willing to make Unreal/UDK mods without an UnrealScript debugger, but I'm certainly not. If this guy gets back to me about the debugger he wrote and it doesn't suck then I'll think about using UDK but otherwise no fucking way. I'd rather go back to Source than have to code without a debugger.

edit: Looks like I was able to get it working after all.

Did you try nFringe? I thought that was supposed to have debugging for UDK integrated with Visual Studio. I'll try it tomorrow if I have some time. http://pixelminegames.com/nfringe/
Afion

Postby Vino » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:27 am

I did try nFringe. It only allows debugging if you buy it. It is otherwise a nice tool.

Shame on Epic though for not providing a free debugging tool with their programming language.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Shogi » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:36 am

Perhaps a little copyright nFringement is in order.
Shogi

PreviousNext

Return to Double Action Development