No votes
Ragequit
No votes
Shoot Kill Reload
No votes

Total votes : 0

Nominate Your Name

Postby Vino » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:04 pm

Select all names that you like. A poll will be created later with the top ones where you can cast your vote for the name. Ask me to and I'll throw any new requested options into the poll. You can change your vote at any time.

Note: No guarantee that we will actually use the name that is voted. I just want to see what people like the most. Game development is not a democracy.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Re: Nominate Your Name

Postby Grunty » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:34 pm

i feel happy that what i suggested people like
Grunty

Postby InSaNe-O_o » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:40 am

FAG!
also Last action shooter :)
[Stink.Inc | InSaNe-O_o]
InSaNe-O_o

Postby Weedwacker » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:26 pm

Grunty wrote:i feel happy that what i suggested people like

There's a first time for everything
Lemonade was a popular drink, and it still is
Grunty wrote:honestly if i could suck my own dick i would

Weedwacker

Postby Vino » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:18 pm

Last Action Shooter is winning by a large margin. I'm not too bullish on it but everybody seems to like it. Something about it doesn't seem right. Here's my problems with it, maybe people can help me out.

* Why is it 'Last' ? Why is it being last such a good thing that it must be in the title?

* It's descriptive of what the game is, but not that much really. It's an action shooter. Horay? As opposed to my favorite, "Trigger Happy" which has high-energy connotations that I like.

* I feel like it doesn't have much character. Or maybe I just don't see it? It doesn't excite me very much. It doesn't say "now this is a game you must play!"
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Semertzides » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:51 pm

Honestly most of the forum favorites give me that vibe. Let's hope for their sake none of them attempts a marketing career.
Semertzides

Postby Wish » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:08 pm

Have you not seen Last Action Hero? It's an homage to an homage, and the 'Last' part represents the continuing death of that breed of stylish/over the top action in favor of team/class/military/sci fi shooter games which have and will continue to overwhelm the market for a while yet.

appropriate reference
rolls off the tongue/sounds good
gets the point across
it's still pretty general (this is key)
doesn't take itself too seriously
liked by many people

In horse racing we call that a sure thing.

Trigger Happy just sounds goofy to me. If you want to go the silly route, call it DOVES EVERYWHERE. I'd vote for it.
Wish

Postby Antagonist » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:09 pm

My problem with LAS is that it's such a lame abbreviation. FAG is way better. ; )

ProTip: show
Fast Action Shooting Time (FAST)?

I know we're nominating and not coming up with new ones here. Sorry guys. : (

But what about "TakeOne". Abbreviation would be "T1".

This kind of take:
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby Shogi » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:11 pm

Vino wrote:Last Action Shooter is winning by a large margin. I'm not too bullish on it but everybody seems to like it. Something about it doesn't seem right. Here's my problems with it, maybe people can help me out.

* Why is it 'Last' ? Why is it being last such a good thing that it must be in the title?

* It's descriptive of what the game is, but not that much really. It's an action shooter. Horay? As opposed to my favorite, "Trigger Happy" which has high-energy connotations that I like.

* I feel like it doesn't have much character. Or maybe I just don't see it? It doesn't excite me very much. It doesn't say "now this is a game you must play!"

1.) It's a reference to Last Action Hero.

2.) Trigger Happy is gay.

3.) You don't have much character.

DEAL WITH IT. 8)

Just kidding. I don't see any issues with it. Tbh we have two choices with the title: take ourselves seriously, or not. If we take ourselves seriously, theres a pretty good chance we'll end up with a cheesy title. Then again given the influences that might not be such a bad idea. If we go with a somewhat silly title, the game becomes a tongue-in-cheek homage to action movies, which I think is probably the best approach. That way we can have fun with puns, knock off characters, and references without undermining our tone or originality.

Either way, it's not final until we go public. Plenty of time for another title to surface, and I suspect one will once we really get into hashing out the style.
Shogi

Postby Vino » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:12 pm

Ooooh no I was not familiar with Last Action Hero. And I don't think that reference would be caught by most people.

I'm not saying we should take it seriously. I just don't think Last Action Shooter/Game does much for me.

We should probably sit on it like you say and wait for a better name to come out.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Hadji|DP » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:20 pm

Last Action Shooter is such a statement, though. Not only is it a reference to a pretty hilarious AHNOLD movie that is also a pastiche of action films, it tells the player,

"HEY ASSHOLE, NO OTHER ACTION GAME IS GOING TO BE AS COOL AS THIS. YOU BETTER PLAY IT, MOTHERFUCKER"

that's why I'm particularly attached to it. alot of it is based in the reference to Last Action Hero, but the statement is also pretty fucking strong.
Hadji|DP

Postby bryt » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:29 pm

i'm familiar with Last Action Hero, and while LAS is one of my few chosen votes... i kinda feel the same way Vino does about it. For me Last Action Shooter rides the line between silly/cheesy and taking ourselves too seriously. And if I had to choose, i'd vote that its probably leaning towards taking ourselves too seriously. It rolls off the tongue easy enough, and it feels relevant enough to our goal that I support it.... but it also falls flat on my "cool" meter.

Nifty homage or no, I would want our game to tweak the cool meter higher. I suggest we use comedy to do this since I think taking ourselves too seriously is probably tantamount to project suicide(if we don't keep it under control). And that is why FAG remains my top choice, next to Kill Friends. LAS just sounds like fps Final Fantasy to me... something i'm not bullish on, but will settle for if I must.
bryt

Postby Vspec » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:31 pm

The only problem I have with Last Action Shooter is that you must now create a game that lives up to it's name sake
or risk looking retarded if it doesn't.

May put too much pressure on the devs.
Takub wrote: George Clooney building a fuckchair in his basement.

Weedwacker wrote:Show them asian girls what a circumcised dick looks like

Vspec

Postby bryt » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:23 pm

Vspec wrote:May put too much pressure on the devs.

something tells me that will never be a problem
bryt

Postby misanq » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:50 am

If you don't like Last Action Shooter, ballistic and double action are pretty much the only other reasonable choices, as far as I can see.

Trigger happy implies a ImagezanyImage tone that I'd hope the game won't have.
Fast action shooter sounds like an amateurish working title and implies that the game will be half-baked.
Free action shooter taps into the stigma that products that market themselves foremost as free do so because they can't market themselves on their quality. Plus, anyone who can navigate their way to MODDB is going to be aware that your mod is free.
FAG is just embarrassing and you should feel bad for taking it seriously.
Sideburn doesn't really have any readily conceivable connection with the subject matter and sounds silly in itself even without the Elvis connotations.
Action boogaloo and kill friends are cringe worthy level lame and sound like weak movie references. (Sorry)
Ragequit should be obvious.

Also, I probably wouldn't worry about "living up to the name" or appearing to "take ourselves too seriously". There aren't any other action-shooters around right now, so it's unlikely that anyone who knows the history of action game is going to assume that you're saying "Best action shooter" rather than "Last of it's kind" or "Reviving the genre" nor would they be likely to get buttmad over the implication that the game will be better than their favorite action shooter anyway, since they probably haven't played it in years (And why even make it if there's a chance that won't be better than The Opera or TS 3.0?). At any rate, the most likely reaction to the name would presumably be "That was a cool movie" and "What's an action shooter?".

But yeah, if you hate the name that much, ballistic and double action are decent, if fairly boring. Also, keep in mind that the initials of triple action are T and A.
misanq

Next

Return to Double Action Development