No votes
Ragequit
No votes
Shoot Kill Reload
No votes

Total votes : 0

Re: Nominate Your Name

Postby Shogi » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:46 am

misanq wrote:Also, keep in mind that the initials of triple action are T and A.

I think we have a winner.
Shogi

Postby Flakk » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:58 am

misanq wrote:If you don't like Last Action Shooter, ballistic and double action are pretty much the only other reasonable choices, as far as I can see.

Trigger happy implies a ImagezanyImage tone that I'd hope the game won't have.
Fast action shooter sounds like an amateurish working title and implies that the game will be half-baked.
Free action shooter taps into the stigma that products that market themselves foremost as free do so because they can't market themselves on their quality. Plus, anyone who can navigate their way to MODDB is going to be aware that your mod is free.
FAG is just embarrassing and you should feel bad for taking it seriously.
Sideburn doesn't really have any readily conceivable connection with the subject matter and sounds silly in itself even without the Elvis connotations.
Action boogaloo and kill friends are cringe worthy level lame and sound like weak movie references. (Sorry)
Ragequit should be obvious.

Also, I probably wouldn't worry about "living up to the name" or appearing to "take ourselves too seriously". There aren't any other action-shooters around right now, so it's unlikely that anyone who knows the history of action game is going to assume that you're saying "Best action shooter" rather than "Last of it's kind" or "Reviving the genre" nor would they be likely to get buttmad over the implication that the game will be better than their favorite action shooter anyway, since they probably haven't played it in years (And why even make it if there's a chance that won't be better than The Opera or TS 3.0?). At any rate, the most likely reaction to the name would presumably be "That was a cool movie" and "What's an action shooter?".

But yeah, if you hate the name that much, ballistic and double action are decent, if fairly boring. Also, keep in mind that the initials of triple action are T and A.

Thank you! I didn't want to say anything and just come off as the dick with no ideas of his own and just criticism for everyone else... but I agree with everything.
Flakk

Postby bryt » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:59 am

misanq wrote:FAG is just embarrassing and you should feel bad for taking it seriously.

perhaps its just as embarrassing that you are taking it that seriously. its a joke. everyone i've pitched it to (outside the forums) has thought it was funny and catchy. by naming our game FAG we're not making fun of fags, we're making fun of ourselves. i'll respect anyone's opinion that it might be offensive, but all the same I disagree that it actually is.
bryt

Postby TheOtherChris » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:39 pm

misanq wrote:Sideburn doesn't really have any readily conceivable connection with the subject matter and sounds silly in itself even without the Elvis connotations.
Not to be an autist but it's not Sideburn, it's Slideburn: It can both be the burn on the knee/elbow/whatever from a slide or the bite to the hand from a pistol slide when the weapon is held incorrectly/gripped and fired in a hurry/wielded by too big hands, which results in a burning sensation: also called slide bite.
TheOtherChris

Postby misanq » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:23 am

bryitis wrote:perhaps its just as embarrassing that you are taking it that seriously. its a joke. everyone i've pitched it to (outside the forums) has thought it was funny and catchy. by naming our game FAG we're not making fun of fags, we're making fun of ourselves. i'll respect anyone's opinion that it might be offensive, but all the same I disagree that it actually is.

While there's no doubt that some people would be offended by the insensitive nature of the name, that isn't the (most) embarrassing part. The embarrassing part is that the "joke" is distilled anti-humour to an outsider and totally misrepresents the tone of the game.
It might seem funny to you when one friend frames it as "We're thinking about calling our game F.A.G." to another friend, but to people who don't know you, you will sound like a bunch of 14 year old idiots roffling about their SO FARNI XD acronym.
Secondly, people expect serious names from serious games, so giving the game a joke name will cause people to assume that the game is a joke or parody. At best you'll leave people scratching their heads when they realize that the game is actually a serious game for serious people and at worst you'll turn away the audience you want and attract and then disappoint the people looking for a SO RANDUMB LULZ sort of game.
More so, there's no reason at all to make fun of yourselves or the game unless you can come up with a joke or pun that's actually funny and somehow relevant to the actual content or tone of the game. Otherwise you're just depreciating the game for no good reason other than to quell your unfounded fear of looking like a tryhard (and ironically, calling the game F.A.G. would come off as pretty tryhardish).
Last of all, there's the possibility that people would realize that the fast/free action game title was a backroynm (which is not unlikely given the clumsiness of the title) and then you'd look like proper faggots.

In any case, if none of that got through to you, think about it this way:
I wouldn't tell anyone about this game if it was called FAG: Free action shooter and if I'd never heard of it before, I wouldn't bother looking twice. Would last action shooter or ballistic have the same affect on your friends?

TheOtherChris wrote:Not to be an autist but it's not Sideburn, it's Slideburn: It can both be the burn on the knee/elbow/whatever from a slide or the bite to the hand from a pistol slide when the weapon is held incorrectly/gripped and fired in a hurry/wielded by too big hands, which results in a burning sensation: also called slide bite.

Well, that makes a lot more sense than sideburn.

Slideburn: Sliding doesn't evoke the sense of violence and conflict that you want an FPS title to portray and a lot of people probably won't get the pistol reference. Also, saying it out loud sounds less like a cool name for a game and more like you have a speech impediment.
misanq

Postby mangaas » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:54 am

I agree with Misan.

Also, I don't see why some people think Last Action Shooter is "taking itself too seriously" I don't even understand the implication. It's one of the only decent sounding (although slightly awkward) name ideas.

Calling the game MAGNUM OPUS would have been "taking itself to seriously". But not Last Action Shooter.

ProTip: show
Hmmm, Magnum Opus has Magnum in it.....
mangaas

Postby bryt » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:13 am

Misanq, i'll concede that you make a good point. I was worried that the concern was primarily over the gay implication/joke... but I see that is not the case. From a marketing standpoint I can see how FAG would be problematic. I would never want a mainstream game to be titled FAG, it wouldn't make sense for all the reasons you listed, and many that you didn't. I guess where my perception differed was in the idea that this game would be made to not be mainstream in any way. I thought keeping htis game old-school and hardcore was an intentional mechanic to keep the right people playing it, while alienating the RPers and kiddies from ruining the fun. Perhaps I just mis-understood our intentions altogether.

For a game that is catered to a niche crowd of hardcore gaming trolls, I still dont think FAG is that bad of a name. To be honest, I was never planning on telling anyone about this game unless I thought they could take the joke.

But if we are indeed trying to attract endless masses of everyone, we definitely need a more mass-appeal name. FAG simply would not fit that bill, the RPers will hate it.
bryt

Postby Wish » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:01 pm

mangaas wrote:Also, I don't see why some people think Last Action Shooter is "taking itself too seriously"

Apparently they hadn't seen Last Action Hero and weren't in the know.
Wish

Postby ThinRedPaste » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:09 pm

i think some folk are thinking too hard about last action shooter - "GUISE, this IS the last action shooter, EVAR!"

Nope.jpg

However, I do prefer Double Action. its less of a mouthful, its a gun reference, and it references the two styles of action hero we're looking to portray/pit against each other - chow yun fat and dolph lundgren.
Fuck this shit, I'm going to bed.
ThinRedPaste

Postby misanq » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:45 am

bryitis wrote:I guess where my perception differed was in the idea that this game would be made to not be mainstream in any way. I thought keeping htis game old-school and hardcore was an intentional mechanic to keep the right people playing it, while alienating the RPers and kiddies from ruining the fun. Perhaps I just mis-understood our intentions altogether.

If you want to spend months or years making a game for forty odd people, sure.
misanq

Postby Vino » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:34 pm

I think the game should be fun for those 40 people but should be accessible to everybody. I'm not remaking Promode.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby balla nigga » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:13 pm

matricks the game

I was a loyal fan of TS and all I got was this crappy game

I love reloading bro (-revovler ocelot )
UST BECAUSE YOU WANT TO BE A NIGGER, IS NO REASON TO BE HATEFUL TO OTHERS, ASS HOLE...
balla nigga

Postby Shogi » Fri May 06, 2011 11:41 am

Shogi

Postby Vino » Sat May 07, 2011 8:52 pm

According to this we should go with the "____ of ____" convention.

Return of Boogaloo
Men of Action
Guns of Mercy
Stunts of Awesome

Yeah that works. Let's go with it.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Antagonist » Sat May 07, 2011 8:55 pm

Blood of Red
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]