The Destructables Thread

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

The Destructables Thread

Postby Hadji|DP » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:11 am

Since we now know destructables are easy to make in Unreal, I figured a new thread containing our ideas about destructables should be made.

So, this thread is all about destructables. What should be destructable, what shouldn't, how they should work, if they should have any sort of function (like game mechanics wise) other than aesthetic, explosions, and what not.
Hadji|DP

Re: The Destructables Thread

Postby Vino » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:41 am

Everything, basically. I always wished the later maps in TS had more destructables, for some reason after 2.1 mappers forgot that func_breakable existed.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Hadji|DP » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:05 am

I had an idea that I proposed a while back that involves a bunch of destructables. Its essentially a way to give the illusion of a "dynamic" map, when really all that is happening is the map changes when a sufficient condition has been met. Say like, when a player reaches a 10 kill streak. Something on the map will begin to explode, or things start to light on fire and cause environmental damage. The aesthetics are clear to see as day. For the good player, his game just turned into SUPER ACTION DELUX 4: REVENGE OF FUCKING, and for the players who are getting owned, they know that the heat is up and someone is kicking ass.

What I really want to push is how this could be a cool gameplay feature. This gives an aesthetic bonus PLUS we get the added bonus of pointing out that there's someone godlike on the server. It's a little way of both rewarding the good player and making the game harder for the individual. For other players, it lets them know that in order to stop the new environment, all they have to do is kill the good player.
Hadji|DP

Postby TheOtherChris » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:31 am

Hadji|DP wrote:I had an idea that I proposed a while back that involves a bunch of destructables. Its essentially a way to give the illusion of a "dynamic" map, when really all that is happening is the map changes when a sufficient condition has been met. Say like, when a player reaches a 10 kill streak. Something on the map will begin to explode, or things start to light on fire and cause environmental damage. The aesthetics are clear to see as day. For the good player, his game just turned into SUPER ACTION DELUX 4: REVENGE OF FUCKING, and for the players who are getting owned, they know that the heat is up and someone is kicking ass.

What I really want to push is how this could be a cool gameplay feature. This gives an aesthetic bonus PLUS we get the added bonus of pointing out that there's someone godlike on the server. It's a little way of both rewarding the good player and making the game harder for the individual. For other players, it lets them know that in order to stop the new environment, all they have to do is kill the good player.

Second.
TheOtherChris

Postby Shogi » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:07 am

We're starting to get too many threads in this forum so lets move this discussion to the Map suggestion thread, that way you can come up with specific map ideas that use destructibles.
Shogi

Postby ThinRedPaste » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:01 pm

?
Fuck this shit, I'm going to bed.
ThinRedPaste

Postby bryt » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:24 pm

as cool as destruction is... can we try to make it somewhat more subtle? i hate how games that have destruction turn everything into hot butter and clay. destruction just doesn't seem as awesome to me when it doesn't reflect the massive amounts of force needed to cause it. and I don't mean to suggest we should tone down the destruction potential, just the threshold that shows it.
bryt

Postby Sif » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:02 pm

One idea I sorta thought of is random bricks falling and players are able to use them as either a melee weapon or just throwing it. Sounds weird but i've seen it in enough action movies. Possibly even have the debris from a pillar or something knocking a player back or shaking them somehow.
Sif

Postby Hadji|DP » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:11 pm

bryitis wrote:as cool as destruction is... can we try to make it somewhat more subtle? i hate how games that have destruction turn everything into hot butter and clay. destruction just doesn't seem as awesome to me when it doesn't reflect the massive amounts of force needed to cause it. and I don't mean to suggest we should tone down the destruction potential, just the threshold that shows it.

i agree with this sentiment, the only thing that should be destroyed by gunfire is things that actually CAN be destroyed by gunfire. And maybe struggle to have on each map only ONE place with crazy destructables (like office papers, teacups and dinner plates, tiles, etc) so that way its special every single time instead of CAN'T SEE SHIT CAPTAIN
Hadji|DP

Postby TheOtherChris » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:18 pm

Still, it'd be cool if differen't type/caliber weapons made different impact effects on different surfaces. I'd love to be able to chip away pieces of pillars/walls/ledges pretty much anywhere, it wouldn't change visibility/terrain that much. But imagine the before and after: The view of the map's central point before people spawn, everything intact... and after the final kill with a nice view of everything messed up. Sort of like the lobby scene of The Matrix, a movie from 1999.
TheOtherChris

Postby mangaas » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:28 pm

Yeah, that Stranglehold video is an example of too much destructibles being a bad thing. bullet fire shouldn't rip through everything like a house of cards.
mangaas

Postby Sif » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:49 pm

If I could throw a brick at a dude and injure them by doing so that'd be awesome, being able to use it in close quarters as a melee weapon would be even more hilarious.
Sif

Postby bryt » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:49 pm

TheOtherChris wrote:Still, it'd be cool if differen't type/caliber weapons made different impact effects on different surfaces. I'd love to be able to chip away pieces of pillars/walls/ledges pretty much anywhere, it wouldn't change visibility/terrain that much. But imagine the before and after: The view of the map's central point before people spawn, everything intact... and after the final kill with a nice view of everything messed up. Sort of like the lobby scene of The Matrix, a movie from 1999.

see this is exactly what i want. destruction should be a visual feedback element with meaning. yeah, yeah, its primary function is the cool factor... but if the destruction means something significant then in my opinion its only cooler. when i walk into an area that is completely torn up, with blood all over the place and parts of the ceiling caving in... and I think to myself, "I was just in here 3 minutes ago.... what the fuck happened here?" ... that will be a good day for gamers everywhere. this moment of impact will mean nothing to me if i can just as easily recreate the scene with a puny pistol and a couple clips with no help in sight. i want to walk into such a scene and know... know that i am among ghosts of a glorious mark in history. please forgive my reverence.

which brings me to my next feature request. let us not forget a robust replay-save/spectate function.
bryt

Postby Shogi » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:38 am

Careful, you might give Vino a heart attack. :lol:
Shogi

Postby Vino » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:03 am

My impression is that the way UDK works this is mostly up to the artists. So yeah, destructables, :thumbsup: However, I agree that those videos were excessive.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Next

Return to Double Action Development