EVERY DAY I'M SHOOTAN

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Re: EVERY DAY I'M SHOOTAN

Postby Antagonist » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:40 pm

Dude that makes sense. It's realistic because if you have a shotgun shouldered, you can pretty much fire rapid fire even if it's a pump gun.

But hey is hipping would be the "normal" way of handling the guns, or is it going to be more like COD where you "should" always use iron sights but sometimes have to spray from the hip? I think hipping. Right?
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby Vino » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:00 am

I don't know. Ideally it would be a tradeoff, where you'd use each in different situations. We'll see.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby ThinRedPaste » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:41 am

like I said in the other thread, I think we should consider more than just damage and recoil characteristics for weapon balancing. TS pretty much proved that isn't enough to have decent feeling rifles that don't completely dominate in every situation. We should have rifles require you play in a different way than pistols - the rifles should be very powerful, but require you to stop/walk and aim in to really get results, whereas the pistols are equally effective regardless of what you're doing.
Fuck this shit, I'm going to bed.
ThinRedPaste

Postby Antagonist » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:45 pm

I could dig "CS vs TS" style shit to be honest. As long as it's just for the shootan and not for the stuntan. Slow down to aim and shoot when you have a rifle. Run and gun when you have a pistol. SMGs would be the beast of both worlds.
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby TOGSolid » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:20 am

Vino wrote:I was actually thinking of making the shotgun have a little bit faster rate of fire while aiming in. Combined with less recoil it could make it pretty beastly while aiming in.

Having handled shotguns before, this makes a lot of sense.

A different idea could be to make the aim-in button more of a 'special ability button' that allowed large automatics improved accuracy and pistols and shotguns to sprint.
I like this idea a lot.

ThinRedPaste wrote:like I said in the other thread, I think we should consider more than just damage and recoil characteristics for weapon balancing. TS pretty much proved that isn't enough to have decent feeling rifles that don't completely dominate in every situation. We should have rifles require you play in a different way than pistols - the rifles should be very powerful, but require you to stop/walk and aim in to really get results, whereas the pistols are equally effective regardless of what you're doing.

Look at my first post in this thread. I basically did exactly what you were talking about. In fact, I'll just be a bastard and quote myself cause I'm fairly certain no one read it:

TOGSolid wrote:To carry on from the other thread:
I don't think we want LOLREALISM guns because this isn't a tac shooter and that would make autos da best. But we do want the guns to feel right. When you pick up a rifle it should feel like a rifle, a pistol should feel like a pistol. The immersion factor is pretty important to maintain. If we made everything lolrealistic though, it would fuck things up kinda bad but it is entirely possible to just exaggerate a gun's characteristics and then fuck with the damage and still have it feel good. Picking the right real world guns to fit the roll we're trying to fill is definitely the best idea. So yeah, no Kriss Super Vs or they'll be super OP.

My rough ideas:
Pistols: Very maneuverable, can do basically everything with no penalties. Accurate as all fuck. High damage. Damage falloff should occur after medium range.

SMGs: Decently maneuverable, loses accuracy when stunting but not when just running around. Iffy starting accuracy, loses accuracy with sustained spam. Low damage. These things should be close range spam cannons. Damage falloff should occur after short range.

Rifles: Shit maneuverability. Loses accuracy if doing anything but standing/walking. Great starting accuracy if the player is standing/walking but needs to be burst fired to maintain accuracy. Medium damage. No damage fall off.

This was just sort of a quick brainstorm, but you get the idea. By breaking the guns up by maneuverability it'll help alleviate some of the need to balance via weight. A pistoleer, by default, is going to be rocking cocks while stunting. By sorting the guns into distance classes, it helps define their roles further and allows rifles to rule at long range without giving them stupid amounts of damage.
ImageImageImage
TOGSolid

Previous

Return to Double Action Development