Female Player Models

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Female Player Models

Postby Wish » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:15 pm

Can they exist in a game where you just choose your model? Female models would generally have to be at least slightly shorter than male ones, or proportions would be off. Would this invite all tryhards to use the female model exclusively for the slightly smaller hitbox? Could the hitboxes just be the same? Or would female models have to be the same height as male ones no matter what? Pros? Cons? Thoughts?
Wish

Re: Female Player Models

Postby DragonNinja » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:18 pm

In a fast paced game you'd never really noticed any sort of height difference.
DragonNinja

Postby ThinRedPaste » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:26 pm

in a lot of cases, a female model actually requires a seperate skeleton and set of animations. Since we don't have any skeleton or animations at all yet, I think that puts them firmly in the "worry about it later" category.
Fuck this shit, I'm going to bed.
ThinRedPaste

Postby Wish » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:53 pm

You're a goose. Everything is in that category right now. The question is can it work?
Wish

Postby Semertzides » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:43 pm

Make it so they can't dunk and i guess we're fine. They should also have terrible posture whilst shooting, giving them an accuracy decay.
Semertzides

Postby misanq » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:40 pm

Shortness really isn't a proportional problem, I would have thought. Maybe the female model is just tall, you know? It can happen.

What would be a problem is that a female model would have to have narrower shoulders, waist and and limbs than the male model to look right; more so since the male model will presumably have a stockier build than the average man.
misanq

Postby Antagonist » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:13 pm

I agree. We could just have tall women in the game. The problem with the narrower shoulders can be solved without much incident just by making the hit zones exactly the same as the male models, allowing "invisible hit zones" around the female model. Also, it can be made much less noticable by making sure the males don't have Fist of the North Star / Gears of War proportions.
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby BullHorn » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:44 pm

So much hassle for tits in a game.

If there were female models, I'd only use them.

Hey, we don't need male models - male models are gay.
[Stink.Inc | BullHorn]
BullHorn

Postby Shogi » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:09 pm

So guys, about those other drastically more important critical/core details we still haven't decided on.....
Shogi

Postby Wish » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:43 am

Tall women does seem like the way to go. It rubs my love of believability the wrong way, but it would erase any balance issues, and also skeletal/animation ones, presumably. I guess compromise is necessary.

As for thinner limbs and stuff, there are definitely ways to deal with that.
Wish

Postby bryt » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:50 pm

BullHorn wrote:Hey, we don't need male models - male models are gay.

i actually think it is about time this sentiment really came home, seriously. why not?

its shameless, sure.... but everyone loves tits, guns, and shameless action scenarios. we should make oversexed female models first.

i volunteer to animated the boobies... i swear i'll do my best.
bryt

Postby Vino » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:25 pm

Isn't that kind of shallow even for this kind of game?

Also, name one female action star.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby DragonNinja » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:30 pm

Depends on your definition of action star.

Cynthia Rothrock, I guess Zoe Saldana, Maggie Q, Mila Jovovich, Angeline Jolie has done a couple, etc.
DragonNinja

Postby Wish » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:36 pm

Angelina Jolie, Maggie Q. Apparently Zoe Saldana. Michelle Yeoh, too. Now, if you'd asked me to name a good one, that would have been hard. Though I actually like Maggie Q.

As for female badasses - they are somewhat more plentiful, and I have a particular one in mind. If things fall perfectly into place, which I don't really expect they will, we may get to see her in game.
Wish

Postby misanq » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:48 am

bryitis wrote:i actually think it is about time this sentiment really came home, seriously. why not?

its shameless, sure.... but everyone loves tits, guns, and shameless action scenarios. we should make oversexed female models first.

i volunteer to animated the boobies... i swear i'll do my best.

There's a line between shameless exploitation and atmosphere-killing sleaze and that sprints across it and then moons good-taste while slapping it's buttocks to the tune of la cucaracha.

Either way, and I don't want to put words into anyone's mouth, but I think that rather than having models of specific people it would be a whole more relevant, not to mention easier on the modellers, to base the models on genre archetypes. The rationale for this is that firstly, even pro-modellers have a hard time making models that look anything like people without taking measurements of their faces and secondly that archetypes are a whole lot more relevant than specific actors to wider audiences.
To explain the latter; the fact is that a lot of people probably do not know or remember that chow yun-fat used to be more famous for his HKBO's rather than his martial arts movies; however, almost everyone has seen a movie with a generic asian mook who rocks sunglasses and a trenchcoat+suit combo at all times. So rather than making a chow yun-fat model, a better idea would be to make a generic asian mook whose look has references to characters played by chow yun-fat and/or Jet-Li. That way, people whose only contact with the HKBO genre is contemporary cliches have a point of reference for the character (rather than wondering why that guy from pirates is in an action movie game) and people who have seen a better tomorrow can have a bit of a nostalgia when they notice the tooth pick in the character's mouth or guess at the origin of the huge aviators.
Like I said, I'm only assuming that the plan is to put real people into the game, but given that the conversation is about actresses rather than characters they've played, I felt it needed saying.

Getting back on track, like wish said, while there are close to zero good action heroines, there are plenty of badass looking side and bit characters, for example:
ProTip: show

If you like black, anyway.

Regardless, deciding what the male models are supposed to look like should be way higher on the list of priorities, and hacking together dive and roll animations for the dod skeleton before those.
misanq

Next

Return to Double Action Development