The SOUND of ACTION BOOGALOO - use this thread, nerds

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Re: The SOUND of ACTION BOOGALOO

Postby misanq » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:54 am

Have you considered recording the sound of chalk on a board, scraping a credit card down a piece of wood or a brand new texta on paper? Those sound a lot like the sound that brink used for their slides.
misanq

Postby Vino » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:50 am

Okay I'll check out those sounds next time I look at the game. I don't know where the UI sounds go, game_sounds_ui.txt is a good bet. Look around, you'll find it.

Also I hope you didn't "add in" the footsteps, you should have just replaced the ones that were already there. I haven't taken a look at what you did yet though.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Dan » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:18 am

misanq wrote:Have you considered recording the sound of chalk on a board, scraping a credit card down a piece of wood or a brand new texta on paper? Those sound a lot like the sound that brink used for their slides.

Thanks for the tip. I've played Brink, Far Cry 2 and Bulletstorm all of which had slides but I haven't reinstalled any of them to listen to the slides yet.

Vino wrote:Also I hope you didn't "add in" the footsteps, you should have just replaced the ones that were already there. I haven't taken a look at what you did yet though.

What happened was I had 5 footsteps and there were only 4 entries for default footstep sounds. I figured, "eh, I delivered 5, I'll just add a line and see what happens." I have a feeling that might have broken something. As you might have guessed, I am absolutely clueless when it comes to that stuff. That is part of the reason why my old career aspirations of one day being an audio programmer have been so dashed.

If it screwed it up then all I have to do is remove that line.
ImageImage
Dan

Postby Vino » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:43 pm

Oh yeah that's fine. It randomly chooses between any available. Adding one is no problem.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Dan » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:32 pm

Anyone know what the location and filenames of the menu screen sounds are? I was going to go ahead and try to replace the mouse rollovers with the UI sounds I recorded but there's no reference to them in game_sounds_ui.txt.
ImageImage
Dan

Postby TheOtherChris » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:30 pm

Isn't it:

"UI/buttonclick.wav
UI/buttonclickrelease.wav
UI/buttonrollover.wav"

?
TheOtherChris

Postby Dan » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:35 pm

I don't know for sure but thanks for the tip because I just put them there. I'll boot up the game and see if it works.

EDIT;

Okay the rollover sounds seem to work but it still has the default HL2 sounds for actually clicking.

First time I tried the sounds ingame so some other notes:

-The default footsteps sound I made are bit weird, not sure if its just the sound not matching up to the animations or what. The footsteps seem like they're triggering slower than the player is running. Also it's really obvious it's only the same 5 footsteps hitting over and over, I probably made them all sound too different from one another. Does Source have a way to randomize pitch and volume of each sound when it gets played?

-The landing and rolling sounds are at a pretty good volume, but the dive is still sounding a little bit weak.

-The weapon select sound is working, but it still has the HL2 sound for when the weapon menu turns off which sounds bad and I need to replace it.

-The default gunshots are too loud. They blow the whole balance of the game's overall sound out of wack. I can either increase the loudness of all other sounds or work on quieter gunshot sounds.

-Need to get footsteps of other materials recorded.
ImageImage
Dan

Postby Vino » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:24 pm

[code]"Player.FallDamage"
{
"channel" "CHAN_AUTO"
"volume" "0.75"
"pitch" "90,110"
"soundlevel" "SNDLVL_NORM"

"rndwave"
{
"wave" "player/pl_fallpain1.wav"
"wave" "player/pl_fallpain3.wav"
}
}[/quote]

The marked part randomizes pitch between 90 and 110. Each time the sound is played it gets a random pitch modulation where 100 is the normal pitch, 90 is 90% of normal and 110 is 110% of normal.

I think you may be interested in looking at this page:

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Soundscripts

There's lots of cool shit you can do with sounds.

faggotron 5000 wrote:-The landing and rolling sounds are at a pretty good volume, but the dive is still sounding a little bit weak.

My opinion is that they not only need to be a bit louder, but they also need to sound beefier. Game sounds are always big! Lots of layers, all over the frequency range, and plenty of compression.

faggotron 5000 wrote:-The default gunshots are too loud. They blow the whole balance of the game's overall sound out of wack. I can either increase the loudness of all other sounds or work on quieter gunshot sounds.

That's funny, I was thinking the same thing during the last playtest. Maybe we can split the difference, turn some down and others up? Also might want to try messing around with the decibel level.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby BullHorn » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:14 pm

It seems like shit gone far, I'll have to test this after work tomorrow and let you know what I think.
[Stink.Inc | BullHorn]
BullHorn

Postby Dan » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:34 am

Updated the dropbox with new sounds, both in Sounds and dab/sound. Vino, you'll probably be pleased with the new dive, land, and rolls I add which are a bit louder and significantly layered up. I also finally included slide_start and slide_stop sounds. It doesn't sound at all like a person sliding across the floor but at least it's *distinctive*.

Slide_start SHOULD have a marker in it to make it loop but I can't figure out Logic's marker export function for the life of me and it has no documentation so let me know if the marker is in there or not. I'll probably end up having to use Audacity to add them manually because Logic is terrible about that particular feature.

I don't know if anyone else is planning on contributing sounds but if you are then http://wiki.garrysmod.com/?title=Half-Life_2_Sound_List is a superb resource to use without having to browse through gcfs.
ImageImage
Dan

Re: The SOUND of ACTION BOOGALOO - SLIDE UPDATE

Postby Vino » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:46 am

Great I'll check out those new sounds next chance I get.

You might want to look at Wavosaur, it's a nice simple little app that I use to add markers to wav files since I think Audacity doesn't do it.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Dan » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:38 pm

I just realized that I haven't made a sound for going prone. That's technically a stunt. I'll work on that.
ImageImage
Dan

Postby Dan » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:31 pm

Bumping this for the new testing version. I have a lot of revisions to do on the sounds after hearing them in game some more. The slide sound isn't in game yet so I'll make sure I get that delivered with the marker in the right place.

I noticed the roll sound has something odd going on with it, it sounds like there's a millisecond delay and there are two of the same impacts on the ground in quick succession. Sounds all wrong, don't know how I missed that.

Also the sounds still aren't loud enough in my opinion so I'll clip the waveforms off and limit them a little bit more.

If there are any more revisions you guys would like to suggest or other sounds I should get recorded let me know.

My to do list:

-Fix rolling sound
-Deliver slide sound
-Revise all sounds and make louder
-More footstep surfaces
-Replacing HL2 generic sounds (UI, glass, water, explosions, physics...)

I'm not going to work on things like weapon sounds or map ambiences just yet because none of the maps or weapons are finalized.
ImageImage
Dan

Postby Vino » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:21 pm

Great work man. Anything you need me to look into? Just let me know.

I actually think the stunting sounds are quite loud enough now.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Dan » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:42 pm

Revised versions of the sounds are in the Sounds and the dab/sounds folder for the next testing version.

Vino: Now that the bonus meter is tentatively in, should I worry about making:

-A bonus meter activating sound
-Meter in use sound
-Meter drained sound

Some other sounds I was thinking of making, should we want to use them:

-A "hit confirmation" sound (like the thump you hear when you hit a player in CoD)
-Prone sound (still haven't taken care of this yet)
-Player injured sounds, like heavy panting, breathing for low health
ImageImage
Dan

PreviousNext

Return to Double Action Development