The SOUND of ACTION BOOGALOO - use this thread, nerds

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Re: The SOUND of ACTION BOOGALOO - SLIDE UPDATE

Postby Vino » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:18 pm

faggotron 5000 wrote:-A bonus meter activating sound
-Meter in use sound
-Meter drained sound
-Prone sound (still haven't taken care of this yet)
-Player injured sounds, like heavy panting, breathing for low health

Sounds pro. You make 'em, I'll hook them up.

faggotron 5000 wrote:-A "hit confirmation" sound (like the thump you hear when you hit a player in CoD)

This isn't sound related but here's a quick discussion on the design of the style meter.

I think it's important to the style meter that the player gets good feedback when they do something that bumps the meter. I also feel the need for there to be different and clear categories for feedback when the player bumps his meter a little bit versus a lot. So for example, just damaging an enemy player gets you a little "Bip!" with maybe a "+1!" visual. Killing another player gets you a "Bing!" and a bigger "Kill!" visual. And doing the same during a stunt gets you a "BRRRRING!" and a "STYLISH!" visual. I haven't really cemented in my head what the categories should be for each action but all of the visuals and all of the sounds should be related in theme.

So yeah, I'm after less of a "hit confirmation" sound and more of a "style meter increased" sound. If we start with one for now then we can add categories later.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Dan » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:45 pm

I put some sounds for the style meter in the dropbox. I'm not happy with these ones, so they can be placeholders until I get something better. Fallout 3 had a cash register ka-ching play right after you killed something; I experimented with that for the stylish kill sound.

I also experimented with the sound of a marimba- a single note for damaging a player, a chord for killing a player, and a little ditty for activating the meter. Probably too cheesy though.
ImageImage
Dan

Postby Vino » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:57 pm

Good stuff. I just hooked it up to the game, the binaries I put in DB just now have it hooked up. If you copy the "dab" folder to sourcemods (over top of what's there) you'll have the latest version. I like the direction of the sounds. The chime might be over the top but I have hopes for it working out -- we'll see next playtest.

Two things. One, the sounds were all static until I opened them in Audacity and exported them again. Something about them Source didn't like. Also, the meter fill sounds compete with the weapon fire sounds, which are so loud you can't hear the meter fills at all. I don't think that's something that can be solved with levels adjustment. Can we try building a slight delay, maybe .2 seconds, into the start of the meter fill sounds?
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Dan » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:01 pm

Vino wrote:Good stuff. I just hooked it up to the game, the binaries I put in DB just now have it hooked up. If you copy the "dab" folder to sourcemods (over top of what's there) you'll have the latest version. I like the direction of the sounds. The chime might be over the top but I have hopes for it working out -- we'll see next playtest.

Two things. One, the sounds were all static until I opened them in Audacity and exported them again. Something about them Source didn't like. Also, the meter fill sounds compete with the weapon fire sounds, which are so loud you can't hear the meter fills at all. I don't think that's something that can be solved with levels adjustment. Can we try building a slight delay, maybe .2 seconds, into the start of the meter fill sounds?

I'll check my export settings. Maybe I exported them at the wrong sample rate or something. edit: They were the wrong bit depth I think, I exported 24 bit instead of 16 bit.

Putting a quarter second delay or so on the sounds is an easy fix, I'll do that right now.

edit 2: Check the dropbox.
ImageImage
Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:32 pm

A couple of new sounds in the dropbox:

PLAYER_HIT_1.wav
PLAYER_HIT_2.wav
PLAYER_HIT_3.wav
PLAYER_LOWHEALTH_LOOP.wav

These are pretty cheesy and I have a girl's voice so perhaps we can use these as placeholders if we want a good voice actor.

shell_pistol_1.wav
shell_pistol_2.wav
shell_pistol_3.wav
shell_rifle_1.wav
shell_rifle_2.wav
shell_rifle_3.wav

No shotgun shell sounds yet. I don't know where to put these, they might go in player/pl_shell1.wav but I'm not sure.

I replaced the gunshots for all three weapons with new ones. I jacked the sounds from some guy on Youtube so we can use these as placeholders from now. If the sounds make it into the final builds I will contact the guy and get permission from him to use his stuff.
ImageImage
Dan

Postby Dementei » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:14 pm

Nice work sounds good, the player hits sounds are great as well.
Dementei
BIG D

Postby Vino » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:38 am

Remind me to check these out when I'm at my other computer.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Dan » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:00 pm

If you're playing the game and the sound for rolling is a horrible burst of white noise, grab the updated sound folder from the dropbox. For some reason I keep on exporting 24 bit files instead of 16 bit files, which Source doesn't like.

I tested out the gunshots ingame and they're pretty quiet now. Finding a happy medium will be hard, but the default CSS gunshots are so loud because they're so heavily distorted (the deagle gunshot has a giant square for a waveform.)
ImageImage
Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:58 pm

Did a little bit of stuff. Sliding sounds now work, player pain sounds are in (but not for fall damage). I messed with the weapon sounds scripts a little bit- the pistol and mp5 sounds have some pitch randomization now, it's subtle but helps a little bit.

I think something that could add a little bit of atmosphere to gunfights is more ricochets. You hear metal, wood etc impacts but not PYOOOOeww bullet ricochets. Is there a way to make a ricochet sound play every 8-10 gunshots or so? Source has ricochet sounds in it somewhere but I can't find them and I don't hear any ingame.

And then maybe getting some sort of particle effect working so you can see tracers flying off surfaces at the same time. That'd add a lot to MY IMMERSION.
ImageImage
Dan

Postby Dementei » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:08 pm

Dan wrote:Did a little bit of stuff. Sliding sounds now work, player pain sounds are in (but not for fall damage). I messed with the weapon sounds scripts a little bit- the pistol and mp5 sounds have some pitch randomization now, it's subtle but helps a little bit.

I think something that could add a little bit of atmosphere to gunfights is more ricochets. You hear metal, wood etc impacts but not PYOOOOeww bullet ricochets. Is there a way to make a ricochet sound play every 8-10 gunshots or so? Source has ricochet sounds in it somewhere but I can't find them and I don't hear any ingame.

And then maybe getting some sort of particle effect working so you can see tracers flying off surfaces at the same time. That'd add a lot to MY IMMERSION.

Great idea with the tracers and ricochet sounds, you do well sir, you do well.
Dementei
BIG D

Postby Dan » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:45 pm

off topic: I found the DAB theme song:

ImageImage
Dan

Postby Vino » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:15 am

I am so for this.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Norgsnigel » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:07 am

VINO, BUY THAT RECORD NOW!
Norgsnigel

Postby Vino » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:05 pm

So I'm going through all the sounds you added making sure everything is okay for the next release. The new sounds are great! My only feedback is that I still think that the small and large "Ding!" sounds for the action meter get drowned out by the gunshots. I think it's because the percussive sound you use is basically the same as a gunshot sound and so the ear lumps the two together. I can tell there's a difference, but in the heat of battle I wouldn't notice it. My suggestion would be to use bell-like sounds like the stylish one does, because that one stands out.

Anyhow, great job. Is there anything you need me to do for these sounds, as far as coding goes? It looks to me like everything is working properly.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Dan » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:19 pm

Good point on the meter sounds, I actually hadn't thought that the transient stuff was getting masked. I'll tweak it a bit and add a bell-like ding on the small and large ones.

As for any special coding stuff, I can't think of anything that needs special treatment right now. The only thing I noticed the last time I tested was that the slide sound would sometimes end before the actual slide was over, and sometimes not.

One last note, all of the gunshots and gun sounds are just placeholders. The current gunshots are pretty wimpy and when the models and animations get replaced the sounds will need to be changed anyway (because the default CSS sounds are timed to match the animations.)
ImageImage
Dan

PreviousNext

Return to Double Action Development