Characters (Chun is top tier.)

Postby Wish » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:09 pm

whoa my b
Wish

Re: Characters (Chun is top tier.)

Postby bryt » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:40 pm

barefoot, cut, and bleeding.
+satchel

just make him look like hell. that will be story enough.
bryt

Postby Wish » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:57 pm

Westmoreland kind of has the torn up thing going - he's covered in blood. A tattered character is definitely good - but what would he be?

How about bodyguard as another possible archetype? Bodyguards turn up in action movies.
Wish

Postby bryt » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:18 pm

the torn up dude would be the everyman, caught off-guard, wrong-place/wrong-time, and now has to go on a gun-toting rampage in order to get revenge for the broken vase in the living room that some guy knocked over during a holiday party because he was too drunk to realize he was wearing an alligator costume with a massive tail.

that was his best friends cousins favorite vase, man. what would you do..

Westmoreland is supposed to be a psycho. thats totally different, man.
bryt

Postby Vino » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:45 pm

I see Bruce in Die Hard has being more of a detective archetype, (him being ex-cop and all) and the torn-up look is more of a function of his bad luck. But I suppose if you want to go for a more "average joe in a bad situation" kind of thing, there's plenty of action movies with that kind of thing. It would be a good archetype for us. Maybe something like this:

Joe [Good]
Salesman
No shoes, no gun, no clue. Joe was a car salesman who sold the wrong car. Caught in the wrong place at the wrong time, Joe had to learn fast to stay alive.

I don't see any problem with doing two good in a row. But if we have to do bad then I think the safest bet would be Blake, as he's tacticool and that's pretty actioney. Rudakov would work too.

I equate the biker look with Francis from L4D and I can't really remember any action movies that feature a biker (maybe Escape from LA? Was Snake Plissken a biker? Terminator doesn't count, he's a robot that looks like a biker.) But if everybody thinks I'm wrong then I'm wrong.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Wish » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:22 pm

You are indeed wrong and Frank is ten times the man Francis will ever be. TRP can back me up.

I too like this everyman thing.

Thane [Good]
Auto Mechanic
His ordinary life is shattered when [a bad guy, maybe Blake, maybe Ivan]'s evil shenanigans actually smash their way into his home and do harm to his family. Maybe a guy Ivan was shaking down ran to Thane's house for help, and Ivan came in after him shooting. Something like that to tie him to a bad guy.

The quickest path for a guy to go into action movie mode is to harm his family; I also want to somehow explain why he's not wearing shoes - thus his house. As for the Thane/Mechanic thing - that's just me being me. 'Joe' is a nice play on the everyman/ordinary joe thing, but I'd want something a little more distinctive - and I'd want him to be blue collar.

Obviously two good in a row would not be an earth shattering deal breaker, but I think a systematic good-bad-good is better for keeping teamplay in mind, as well as some kind of general motivation framework.

Personally, I like Westmoreland over Blake and Rudakov, at least in the short term. His bloody and disheveled look, with or without his trench, works well opposite the Wish model. Let's see what people think. Possible first 4?

Good ------- Bad
Wish Westmoreland
Velvet Rudakov

That's a semi dapper and a neutral and a not dapper and a full dapper. That's a decent range, but then there's no Blake. Since we're just talking here, maybe I'll start thinking about first 6. More to come.
Wish

Postby BullHorn » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:28 pm

Y U MAKE RUSSIANS BAD GUYS
[Stink.Inc | BullHorn]
BullHorn

Postby Vino » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:14 am

Shut up Jewski. (Get it? Rhymes with Ruski. I like it.)

Anyhow I like Thane a lot. Let's add him to the list. More archetypes would be good if you guys can think of any, but we really have a lot right now.

I have the idea that perhaps we should add more character to the maps as well. Each map has a setting, maybe we can add a theme too. Some kind of event that makes it seem like there's a reason for the characters to be there fighting, moreso than "then they started fighting!" So I think I've mentioned before, one map (megachat is a good candidate) can have a bunch of briefcases in the middle with coke and cash falling out, as if there had been a deal gone wrong. Another map might have the "getaway car" all shot up with the door open, that kind of thing.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby misanq » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:59 am

As far as the team bit goes, what motivations do people like westmoreland and rudakov or Ever(et) and Frank have in common? It seems like there are four factions in the mix: the gangsters and Blake vs the cop and heart-o-gold hitmen and the serial killer vs the vigilantes. Something with more cohesiveness might be:

Goodies:

Mist: Professional killer who grew a conscience.
Wish: Former straight arrow cop turned vigilante. (do you have another nickname or something? Wish sounds sort of weird for that sort of character. Maybe call mist wish instead?)
Frank: Biker hitman who's formed a shaky alliance with the rest of the goodies for whatever reason (dead girlfriend/moral objection etc.)
Velvet: Straight vigilante who's avenging whoever or mad at her mafia dad.
Joe: Former bluecollar guy who's life was shattered by westmoreland or Rubakov or someone doing something to a loved one, out for revenge/rescuification/justice/yipee ki yays. Maybe he's an ex vet or something?

Baddies:

Ivan: Mafia enforcer and loyal companion/minion of Rudakov, saw some govno in Grozny.
Rudakov: Crime lord/underboss who's fallen from grace.
Blake: "You don't pay me to be your friend".
Westmoreland: Creepy out of towner assassin who likes killing just a bit too much, maybe does a bit on the side as well.
Everett: Corrupt cop? Wish's ex-partner/mentor who works for the other side now?

The idea is that two of the characters would have a reason to team up in an action movie, if you get my drift.
misanq

Postby Wish » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:34 am

They're individuals. Even for teamplay, there is no 'why they're on a team' explanation. That's left to the imagination, but it's not too hard to fill in - we have chaotic good and chaotic evil; obviously the chaotic good people, irregardless of their personal motivations, will take affront with whatever the evil crowd is up to. That's more than enough.

But to answer your stuff in general:

Westmoreland will kill anybody he feels like, even other bad guys.
Rudakov will shoot anybody he thinks might make trouble for him, so anybody.
Ever and Frank are both fundamentally good guys, and will fight evil wherever it presents itself.

There are multiple factions, but they're only significant in a background sense - relevant to the player is just the two clearly defined sides. Without getting into philosophical quibbling, we'll call them good and evil. It's not entirely accurate, but it does the job . And even that is just a basic guideline for teamplay - like with Marvel vs Capcom or whatever, you're going to have plenty of Capcom on Capcom violence, evil on evil, good on good, etc. Let's keep the framework simple and not get hung up on the little things. They are, after all, just skins for the player.

Good folks, evil folks, roughly the same number on each side. On that note, which evil characters are we liking to go in opposite Wish? Or is there an evil archetype that's missing and needs to be considered?

@ Vino, bring up the map thing when I get back and I'll take a shot at it.

@ Bullhorn, Russians get to be the bad guys, because they can take it. They can handle the burden. Like in the Dark Knight. It's a sign of respect.
Wish

Postby BullHorn » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:09 am

[Stink.Inc | BullHorn]
BullHorn

Postby Dan » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:36 pm

Wish wrote: Or is there an evil archetype that's missing and needs to be considered?

Not to add too many rad vigilante characters to the mix, but the one I'm thinking of is the rogue crimefighter who went too far. You know, the guy who lost his entire moral compass and will kill anybody who gets in his way, even if they're a good guy.

What I don't see much of on this list is the typical "wrong place wrong time" action hero guy. I guess John McClane kind of counts, but we have multiple cops/vigilantes but we don't have many characters who would be analogous to like, HL1 Gordon- not fighting/combat savvy, just really clever and quick-thinking and wouldn't be wearing any tactical gear.
ImageImage
Dan

Postby ThinRedPaste » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:45 pm

Wish wrote:You are indeed wrong and Frank is ten times the man Francis will ever be. TRP can back me up.

Frank once rode a motorcycle out of the foggy darkness and killed a bunch of dudes with a Pernach (russian [or similar] machine pistol), without getting off the bike. He later went out into a riot and beat the shit out of a bunch of rioters, in order to protect non-rioters. He also recovered from a 12 guage beanbag to the sternum quickly enough to get a pistol away from one of his assailants and kill them all within a few seconds. Frank also rides the same kind of bike as me:
^Honda Valkyrie. Mine. Name is Freyja.
Believe it or not, I did not create this character.

As for Francis, his name is Francis. Harden the fuck up, Francis.

Obviously, I support the biker character. Calling him the "Biker archetype" is too narrow. "Biker" Archetype is kind of a subset of the "Big, Tough Brawler" archetype, which contains characters like The Punisher, B.A. Baracus, and Anyone Arnold Ever Played. We don't otherwise have one of those.

Also, actiony biker: Ghost Rider. just the first example I came up with, probably not the most applicable.
Fuck this shit, I'm going to bed.
ThinRedPaste

Postby Antagonist » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:33 am

Dress suit Gordon Freeman was the best player model ever. : (
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby Semertzides » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:00 pm

Make Thane a Propane & Propane accessories salesman and i'm in!
Semertzides

Next

Return to Double Action Development