Characters (Chun is top tier.)

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Re: Characters (Chun is top tier.)

Postby Wish » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:50 pm

Actually Frank got rid of the Valkyrie when he finished restoring that Harley, but he did ride the Honda for quite a while.

Anyway, I thought of putting up a few more profiles, but with Thane in the mix we have ten - 5 good and 5 bad, and that seems like a good foundation for the moment. I'm still looking for more archetype suggestions, and thoughts on which bad guy to go in next.
Wish

Postby Antagonist » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:05 pm

Since you asked for more archetypes, well we could use an hispanic hero too. Antonio Banderas from Desperado, motherfriends. Can't think of any kind of background story for him that would fit in with the other guys, though.

Here is some fittingly stereotypical story I dreamed up concerning the present archetypes:

ProTip: show
One guy should be a rogue undercover agent. This could be part of Wish's backstory or a different guy altogether. This agent went too deep into the Ruskies' crime organization, making his agent colleagues not trust him entierly anymore. Now to make matters worse, his cover is blown after he refused to murder an innocent woman (Joe's wife maybe; which is why Rubakov sent Westmoreland, the resident stand-in for the creepy assassin from No Country for Old Men, to kill her and frame the agent). With the feds thinking the agent has switched sides, he has noone left to trust except other outlaws seeking revenge against the bad guys. He now fights alongside the good guys, hoping to prove his innocence.

I got kind of inspired by Misan's suggestion to have a regular guy seeking revenge for something so I kind of thought this up:

When ex-assassin turned businessman Joe found his wife dead in their home on his 40th birthday, he was left with two choices: Let the cops handle it and live the rest of his life knowing that the people responsible for her death got away; or regress to his violent past that he had kept secret for so long. The choice was easy for a man like Joe and his one-man war against the bad guys has since caught the attention of the good guys who have invited him to team up. Joe had retired years ago so at first glance he may seem old and out of shape compared to the other characters. However, his unparallelled experience in killing makes up for it even after more than a decade of leading a normal family life.
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby ThinRedPaste » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:05 pm

Wish wrote:Actually Frank got rid of the Valkyrie when he finished restoring that Harley, but he did ride the Honda for quite a while.

Anyway, I thought of putting up a few more profiles, but with Thane in the mix we have ten - 5 good and 5 bad, and that seems like a good foundation for the moment. I'm still looking for more archetype suggestions, and thoughts on which bad guy to go in next.

You have to stop referring to events you haven't published yet in the past tense. Where the story is at publicly is where the goddamn story is at.
Fuck this shit, I'm going to bed.
ThinRedPaste

Postby Wish » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:00 pm

@TRP: pfffff. It's just a motorcycle. It's not even a plot point. At the end of one he's still riding the Honda, and by the next time he's got the Dyna.

Antagonist wrote:Antag's Stuff

Hispanic isn't an archetype, it's an ethnicity. What is Antonio's character? A guitar-playing gunman. He's just kind of the random crazy go nuts comic book badass. I don't know if someone like that fits in with everyone else. It's kind of archetypal, but there are a lot of potential directions to go with it.

For whatever it's worth, Thane has Puerto Rican heritage, and he's the everyman out for vengeance. Your backgrounds are definitely similar in theme to what I'm working from. Thane isn't a super square family man - he doesn't have kids. I'm getting comfortable refining the story I proposed before, which is roughly: one of Ivan's shakedown victims runs to Thane's apartment, Ivan follows, Thane's girlfriend is shot/killed in the chaos, and now Thane beefs with the Russians in general. This would be easy to sum up in a general way with a sentence or two for the character select screen, and it's a nice gateway for the everyman to enter the action world. How's that for a working start? I think Mist, who doubles as the kimbo-wielding super cool suit wearing Asian archetype, has the assassin thing on lock. Reformed hitmen are becoming the wrong kind of cliche. Reforming hitmen are still, at least to me, fair game.

And to keep credits straight, the one who brought in the revenge-inspired everyman was Brytis. Shoutouts to Brytis - that's a solid archetype - there are plenty of movies in that vein.

The sad truth is that the action scene is kind of dominated by cops, but there have to be more out there, so keep thinking about movies you've seen, and what those characters are. But for the moment, I think it's best to let the Wish model handle the cop end of things.

I'm at kind of impasse, and I could use some opinions - I like Westmoreland for next in the queue to go in, because he has a distinctive look and works across from Wish both in idea (cop vs killer) and in visual contrast (semi dapper vs disheveled, bloody, and slightly creepy) - but my problem is that serial killer just isn't that actioney. I wouldn't have a problem with serial killer if we had a few other bases covered, but putting him in so early seems off to me. Assassin really seems like the next best/biggest archetype (again, to my mind), but I wonder if people would have problems because the two models look fairly similar? Wish is a white guy in a tie, kevlar, and leather jacket. Mist is an Asian guy in a dark suit with no tie. I'm waffling. One of the bad guys may need to have a change of look to better fit the big picture. How about Ivan? Cop and Mobster is a solid matchup.

Ivan is a mid level enforcer type under Rudakov, and he's about as slimy and evil as a person can get. I had him wearing the really cliched Russian mob clothes (knowledge of Russian mob cliches gotten from watching Alias) - black leather jacket, black knit cap - something like that. But that's pretty boring. What can you guys picture for him? He's not the suit type, and we have suits aplenty already.
Wish

Postby Dan » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:29 pm

Track suit j/k

He could be dressed just casual. Short sleeved safari shirt, dark jeans, sneakers, shoulder holster to round it out, maybe a couple of pouches or a kevlar vest on over it.
ImageImage
Dan

Postby Wish » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:44 pm

Yeah, I'm too hung up on jackets. It's a game; people don't need to dress for the weather. So I messed with the cliche and the color scheme a little, and I'm thinking about a gray thermal sweater.

I also like the idea of an exposed shoulder holster. Not the brightest idea in general, but it sure does look cool. There are lots of styles out there. I don't want him looking too tacticool - he's a slob - but I think the wide world of shoulder holsters gives us plenty of wiggle room.

Jeans, or dark blue cargos - actually rather similar to what Leon Kennedy wore in RE4 - would look good. It's a solid outfit and color scheme that doesn't try to do too much. No leather, no necktie - it stands across from Wish very nicely, and definitely fits the subdued aesthetic I'm going for.

Gray thermal, blue cargos/jeans, shoulder holster. Thoughts? I'd also want him a little disheveled - maybe a bandage on his hand and a black eye or something. How about a hat? Like a knit hat.

Wish

Postby ThinRedPaste » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:31 am

Wish wrote:@TRP: pfffff. It's just a motorcycle.

Its never just a motorcycle to a motorcycle person. especially a person as motorcycle as frank is.
Fuck this shit, I'm going to bed.
ThinRedPaste

Postby misanq » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:52 am

Antagonist wrote:hispanic

Come to think of it, there aren't any black people on board yet, either.

In keeping with the tone of the rest of the cast so far, I'd say that some good choices might be:

A be-suited bodyguard or assassin.
ImageImage

An old school enforcer:
ImageImage

Or a loose cannon cop who likes to shoot first and ask questions later.
(AW HELLLLLL NAW)
misanq

Postby Locke » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:15 am

Shit just got real.
Locke

Postby Dan » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:13 am

ImageImage
Dan

Postby Wish » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:07 am

We do need at least one black guy. I'll start thinking about it. That is a whole branch of the action genre that folks always forget about.

I'd like to see a nod to blaxploitation actioners in the game someday, but it's pretty low on my list of priorities.

We've got enforcers, we've got cops, we've got rogues, we've got rogue cops. Interestingly, Denzel and Ving in Misan's enforcer tab are wearing the exact clothes I originally envisioned for Ivan - but now I'm moving away from those.

I suggested bodyguard earlier, and while right off the top of my head I can't think of any 'bodyguard' movies (Man on Fire was a revenge 'em up no matter how you look at it; he just happened to be in security.), I think a bodyguard works, and I've often mentioned that Rudakov has bodyguards, but never gone into detail about it, so that's a big open door. There's no reason his bodyguard can't be black. I like it.

Okay, so a black bodyguard working for the Russian mob, watching the back of the top man. Start throwing out looks for him - he can be cool like Denzel or beefy like Ving. Let's try not to be too flamboyant, and let's try not to put him in a suit, per say, though anyone protecting Rudakov has to look presentable. It's a challenge.
Wish

Postby Dan » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:24 am

Wish wrote: Let's try not to be too flamboyant, and let's try not to put him in a suit, per say, though anyone protecting Rudakov has to look presentable. It's a challenge.

Perfect thing for that: a simple blazer coat over casual clothes.

ImageImage
Dan

Postby TOGSolid » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:18 am

faggotron 5000 wrote:

ImageImageImage
TOGSolid

Postby TOGSolid » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:42 am

Wish wrote:Okay, so a black bodyguard working for the Russian mob, watching the back of the top man. Start throwing out looks for him - he can be cool like Denzel or beefy like Ving. Let's try not to be too flamboyant, and let's try not to put him in a suit, per say, though anyone protecting Rudakov has to look presentable. It's a challenge.

Bodyguard clothing is totally dependent on where they're at, what they need to do, and the tastes of their boss. Does the bodyguard need to stand out or blend in? What's the boss's style like? Is he big on looking opulent (or trying to and looking like a gaudy faggot), conservative and professional, or does he like it low key?

I think if we start with how the boss likes to present himself and then reverse engineer from there we'll solve the bodyguard problem pretty quickly.
ImageImageImage
TOGSolid

Postby Niko » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:38 pm

Oh cool, RP storylines!
Niko

PreviousNext

Return to Double Action Development