Putting out the call

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Putting out the call

Postby Vino » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:30 pm

This evening I went to put some finishing touches on what I'm going to release soon. I was going to add a new weapon, an FN FAL. I can hack up a mesh pretty easy (see the shitty looking ones in the game right now) but then I realized I would have to make a v model and animations. Well that's a good bit of work so I don't know if I want to do it all by tomorrow.

Then I realized that there is nobody else that has contributed models or animations yet. We have a ton of maps but no models or animations not made by me. I set Shogi up but he never produced anything. Millenium made an M3 model but hasn't sent it to me. Wish had a player model done but it's incompatible with the new skeleton and has to be re rigged, which I have no idea how to do. That leaves me holding the bag for all of the modeling and animating, and there's no way I can do all that and still have any time to code, and I wouldn't be any good at it if I did.

So yeah, we need some people to step up their game and some other people to step in and help. I think that with this new release the game will be at the point where we can begin to attract some attention to it for the purpose of making models and animations. Here's a list of shit I need:

* All player animations. I'm not the best animator. Shogi, wanna deal? Terp, wanna get over your technophobia?
* One M1911 + view model. I did a decent mesh for it, but it needs a texture and v model.
* One P99 + view model.
* One Benelli M3 + view model.
* One MP5K + view model.
* One FN FAL + view model.

These are the 5 weapons I've selected for release #1 but if the artist volunteering wants to do a different weapon then that's okay too, I am flexible. But if I have to do all of the work then this shit will never get done. If other people can take over here then I can focus on what we all really want -- design and playability and fun. (And cool new features.)

So the moral of the story here is, everybody put out the word. We need artists. Let's record the playtest tomorrow and make videos to show how well the game is shaping up so far. Then let's all ping all those people on your friends list that you never talk to who are really good modelers. Let's recruit them to our cause. Post on some modding-related forums. Someone bug Millenia and get him working on that M3 again. Find someone who can re-rig the Wish model.

Let's do this.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Re: Putting out the call

Postby Norgsnigel » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:01 am

Aye aye sire!
Norgsnigel

Postby Dementei » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:44 am

We'll do our best. GO TEAM DAB!
Dementei
BIG D

Postby DragonNinja » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:32 am

I sent Schmung a little PM, see if he'd be interested in lending a hand since he did a fair bit for TS.
DragonNinja

Postby Antagonist » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:04 am

Unite the clans.

Also:
ProTip: show
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby ThinRedPaste » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:10 am

Has dropbox. Still don't like it. Needs an option to only sync manually. Still, get me set up so I can try and work out some animootins.
Fuck this shit, I'm going to bed.
ThinRedPaste

Postby Vino » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:43 pm

Great! I need to explain how it all works, get with me and we'll figure out a time that we can get together.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby schmung » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:53 am

I have a FAL in various configurations and a Benelli. Also an MP5K. There might be a kimber lying around somewhere as well. Welcome to them if you want them. They're all suitable for usage in source, but they don't come with highpolys for normal mapping.
schmung

Postby Vino » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:06 pm

Word wsup it's Schmung! How've you been doing?

Do you have v models? That's the real problem. I can hack up a quick w model no problem but it's all the work to make a decent v model with animations that I'd like to avoid. But of course any models are better than what we have right now (nothing) so send them along to me: jorge@lunarworkshop.com
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby schmung » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:45 pm

Not sure they'll all fit in an email and will probably need to tinker with them to meet your requirements. Are you shooting for a particular target as far as texture usage etc goes? Do you want particular styles etc?

They're all primarily made as vmodels for Firearms Source, so should be fine for your purposes. I'll do some quick renders tomorrow.
schmung

Postby Dementei » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:04 pm

Oh yea didn't schmung make models for TS? and maps? Nice to see you sir!
Dementei
BIG D

Postby Dan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:04 pm

Welcome home, schmung. A pre-emptive thank you for contributing to the game.
ImageImage
Dan

Postby Vino » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:22 pm

If it's too big for email throw it on a Dropbox. That's what we use to collaborate anyways. If you don't have Dropbox here's an invite: http://db.tt/qYYhE4f If you want to contribute over the long term I'd be happy to invite you to the DAB shared folder.

The only target I have right now is to get more weapons in the game. We're really only in the prototyping phase. As for style, for the weapons in particular (although absolutely not for the whole game) I think a realistic style is best. Anything that works for FA should work for us. That said I freely admit that I'm no artist so I'm not going to say what should and shouldn't happen there, in the end it's up to the discretion of the mapper.

(Oh and hey since it's just a prototype right now it's cool but by the time it's permadone it'll need to be different models than the FA:S ones, or at least different looking and different animated. It'd look real bad if people thought we were copying them.)
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby schmung » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:48 am

Cool. Setup with dropbox now. M3 and FAL renders here :

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/55071051 ... s?h=c239a6

Will put the other ones there as well. FAL won't be going in FAS anytime soon and the M3 variant used there is different as well. Ditto the MP5K - the model used in FAS isn't mine, so no worries about stuff looking the same.

Edit : Oh yeah, I'll put up all my old map files on the dropbox as well in case anyone wants them.
schmung

Postby Vino » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:32 pm

Word yeah. I'll just go ahead and send you an invite to the DAB folder so you can copy the sources directly in there.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Next

Return to Double Action Development