Art List [Artists look here]

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Re: Art List [Artists look here]

Postby Black_Stormy » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:43 am

Has there been any thought about hand models? I (very briefly) worked with the kreedz climbing (kzmod) guys to implement a system with unique hand models for every character model. Is this something that should be in DAB? Here's how their system worked (insofar as I can remember) :

The weapons and hands were separate models, so they were loaded into the viewmodel space separately. The weapons had their own animations, while all the hand models drew from a shared animations file (which is easy to include in the .qc at compile). This meant that in order to create new hand models, all you would have to do was rig them up to the existing hand rig. Unfortunately it also meant that in order to add a new weapon, new animations would have to be made for the weapon, and the hand rig, which meant recompiling all hand models. It also made it a little bit more complicated for the modeller to create weapons, since the hands and weapon would have to be animated together but exported separately. Not a great deal, but a little bit confusing at first.

I think a problem with this was making sure the hands and weapons lined up seamlessly when animating in game, since they were calling animations synchronously. I am pretty sure the viewmodel animations are handled client side so network lag etc doesn't have a terrible effect on things. It also required that the people making (or at least compiling) the models had to be pretty cluey with their qc.

Another way to do it is to make a separate model for every character, every weapon and hand combination all sharing the same animation file. This makes it more work, but a simpler workflow. In order to add a weapon all you have to do is make the animations and put them into the shared weapons animation, but you have to compile you weapon model with every single hand model in the game, which could get frustrating if more characters are added, but could probably be largely automated.

It's not a necessary feature, more like icing on the cake, but I was wondering if you guys had thought about it at all, and which system would be better.
Black_Stormy

Postby LeftFoot » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:52 pm

Sounds like way too much trouble to go for what you get imotbh
LeftFoot

Postby Flakk » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:36 pm

Doktor haus wrote:I've been fixing up the Mossburg.

It still has this bug, where it seems like sometimes only the first frame of an animation plays. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mN5oHNC9L8
They're fine when standing still (although its buginess does seem kind of random) and all the sequences are snapped, so maybe it's a coding issue?

Here's the current version anyway. Download

Draw animation could use some work. The way the hand comes up like that on the right looks pretty bad. Makes the hand look enormous and covers a lot of the screen. Also on the pump action at the end of the reload you could try to delay the backwards reaction on the gun just a little bit. So the pump moves back all the way before the rest of the gun follows. Or if that's what you did, then exaggerate it more. The other pumps are so fast in themselves that that effect wouldn't do much good probably. But it's a cool gamey style.

Oh, wait. Are they your animations? If not, then nevermind me.
Flakk

Postby Ott » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:38 pm

Quick prop request here. I need a circular handrail that fits the outside of this:

ImageImage
Ott

Postby misanq » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:34 pm

Personally, I would just make the vat a square with rounded corners (e.g. four straight walls, four quarter cylinder columns for corners, a roof and floor) since it'd save a bit of work and not screw you over if you needed to change the dimensions later on.

Also, that cylinder that you're using for the for the walkable area is going to make the game engine cry. The crescent area with the 12 vertical faces is especially dangerous, the game really can't handle that many faces on one solid, especially if it's not a func_detail. I would strongly suspect that the game would probably immediately crash just as soon as it tried to light that due to how many faces are there in the one area.
misanq

Postby Ott » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:55 pm

It's fiiiine.
ImageImage
Ott

Postby Vino » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:23 am

Stuff like that is okay as long as it's a func_detail.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Black_Stormy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:55 pm

Upload the vmf in a zip. I should have a few hours spare tomorrow to propperize it and do something up quickly. Any more requirements? Color, gaps in the rail, wear and tear etc?
Black_Stormy

Postby Ott » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:08 pm

Well, I'd rather wait til the map is done before sending it to you.
ImageImage
Ott

Postby Black_Stormy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:39 am

Doktor haus wrote:

Don't mean to pop in out of nowhere, but I like how DAB is developing, got bored and compiled this.

Edit: Forgot the link. MediaFire

Why haven't we added this in yet?
Black_Stormy

Postby -=JespeR=- » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:33 pm

Hello everybody!

I would like to be a little cheeky and ask all of you who have some know-how in prop modelling for a little bit of help. I am looking to add some detail to my DAB mapping and I feel that the absolutely best way to do so is to add some sweet frickin´ prop models every here and there.
Now, it would be AWESOME if there is anybody on here that knows how to make original models for what I am about to request, however since making models and stuff takes a whole bunch of time I am completely fine with using already existing models in case anybody is sitting on something like this, but it would be fun not using like Counter-Strike:Source models but rather DA:B models.
Anywho, I´ll go right ahead with a list of requests and I am going to make it a few quite generic models that could be used in a lot of various scenarios for all of the mappers on this forum:
LAPD Ford Crown Victoria
ProTip: show

SWAT Van

Fire extinguisher

Plant in pot

With (various?) vases

If anyone would want to have an awesome little project and make something like these props that would be frickin´ awesome. If anyone is sitting on props like these and would like to share, PLEASE do!
Other props that would be welcome: various cars, regular cars and like a couple of nice ferraris or something.

If I have some of these models that would help me immensely in adding detail to my map.
Also, someone should make "asian" props and textures so that we can crank out some like dojo-esque maps. In the future I want to make something like the big villa from the new Wolverine movie but with like another floor level.
-=JespeR=-

Postby Ott » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:18 am

Can we get our left handed-right handed shit together please?
ImageImage
Ott

Postby Dementei » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:03 am

If anyone has some skills in graphic design and such, we really.. really need a new moddb profile. Eventually within like 2 weeks I will be putting out a brand new updated SFM poster of our characters in some action scenario and with that I'd like to have a better summary and feature list put together blending with the new poster. Then have individual images as links to download the latest version, subscribe to github, facebook, twitter, and link to forum.. and link to patch notes.. AND anything else that I can't think of atm underneath the poster. For right now use the current poster to make a rough draft if anyone wants to give it a shot! Let me know if you have any awesome ideas for the new poster btw before I go on doing my own thing, thanks.

^^^
The above may or may not be directed to a fellow member that goes by the name misan.
Dementei
BIG D

Postby l-homme-d-action » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:09 pm

Hi ,
I freshly register my self for some "isht" :roll: i planed to convert but i'm not sure it will fit to the mod's anbience :
The first thing is an Smg (Thompson m1a2 or someting like that) here is the high poly is Done http://sketchfab.com/nmki3fecb (low poly one down) Image
and an idea for Sfm poster this very rough draft :
Last edited by l-homme-d-action on Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
l-homme-d-action

Postby Vino » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:43 pm

Très cool. I think we talked about a thompson in the past and I wouldn't mind seeing one in the game. Once you get it to a point where you feel comfortable sharing it, let me know and I'll see what I can do about getting it plugged in. I love the poster idea as well.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

PreviousNext

Return to Double Action Development