No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Art List [Artists look here]

Postby Vino » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:54 pm

Mood board:
ProTip: show

Character palette:

Technical requirements and guidelines for models

Art List:

If you feel you want to tackle something on this list, don't ask for permission! Just do it and share it on the boards.

[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Re: Art List [Artists look here]

Postby Jahhur » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:08 pm

I uploaded the first version of a blood impact effect. I haven't had a chance to test it ingame though since shooting bodies doesn't seem to spawn blood particles. The system's name is blood_impact_red_01, same as orange box's default blood.

There is also a system called impact_tile that should be in use when shooting tile surfaces but it also doesn't seem to work for some reason.
Jahhur

Postby Vino » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:12 pm

Open the console and type:
sv_cheats 1
bot_add
up enter up enter up enter up enter

there are your bodies.

Thanks a bunch, I'll check them out asap.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Vino » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:02 pm

Didn't work for me, no blood showed up, same error message in console.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Jahhur » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:36 am

Should be working now. I forgot to add the particle file to the manifest. Definitely not perfect at the moment but it's a start.

I was thinking about doing muzzle flashes next. Should we have a cheap and simple effect for normal play, and then more detailed effects for slow motion? And how about matrixy bullet trails for slow motion?
Jahhur

Postby Vino » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:52 am

Make it detailed all the time. Cards these days can handle it.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Vino » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:10 am

Checked out them bloods. They are good and I like. I think they need to be bigger and more obvious from far away. They get lost in the storms of dust that the shooting kicks up. Also right now they are spurts, I think it could also do to have some sprays mixed in. Like, clouds of blood that hang in the air for a second.

Good work.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Jahhur » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:53 am

Blood now has a min size, so it is more visible from a distance. When shooting players it still seems to spawn some black smokeish sprite that is not part of the particle system. Can this be removed via code?

There is a first version of the muzzle flash in the dropbox now too. Though I'm not sure if they work properly since I have no idea how to make them align their direction with the player. I believe that now all the spawned systems would face the same direction in the world.
Jahhur

Postby Vino » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:38 pm

Yeah the new bloods are much better and more visible. I think I'll need to do some code to hook up your muzzle flash particles. I'll do that next.

Can we make a new thread for this particle stuff?
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby ThinRedPaste » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:14 am

Do we have anyone capable of converting weapon models from hl1 to hl2? We might be able to collect some of the weapons (and the hands model) from the old TSHD pack and bring them to DA. If that's possible, I think it might be at least a good stopgap solution - I can reanimate those pre-conversion weapons in milkshape in no time (I've knocked out a full set of animations for akimbo berettas including a flashy reload in one day), and we can at least have that much in place for when we get real models made.

I know, the player anims aren't done. But really, i'm better at weapon anims anyway. I mean, have you seen my run loops? they're fucking godawful, I'm embarrassed to be associated with them. However, that old trigun revolver and the various Ebony and Ivory models had some pretty spiffy animations if i do say so myself.
Fuck this shit, I'm going to bed.
ThinRedPaste

Postby misanq » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:22 am

Here's how to do it:

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Porting_Goldsource_content_to_Source

Though, I would have thought that enveloping and animating the model was the most skilled and time-consuming part of creating weapon models.
misanq

Postby ThinRedPaste » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:51 am

weapons are remarkably easy to animate. Recoil looks like recoil looks like recoil. Once you get it right the first time, you can basically just replicate it with different magnitudes. reloading is pretty simple too, unless you're doing something flashy like having him throw one gun in the air while he reloads the other, or animating every individual casing ejected out of a top break revolver (I've done both of these). getting a full character to move naturally is insanely difficult.

and once you have the hands set up once, you just add the appropriate bones for whatever weapon you're doing, and since they're slabs of steel and polymer they're super easy to weight.

speaking of animations, I just updated the player anims in the dropbox. retouched the run again and implemented a quick and dirty dive to slide placeholder where he just stays in the end of dive pose while sliding. It doesn't blend right though.
Fuck this shit, I'm going to bed.
ThinRedPaste

Postby Antagonist » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:11 am

If we get those TSHD guns, it's almost like we won't need new ones because they look fucking good. I would be okay with berettas, UMP and such. Any way to just steal the kicky leg for a placeholder?
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby Vino » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:58 pm

I would be totally okay with the TSHD stuff, but since we can't get the original author's permission (can we?) we'll have to mark them with "PLACEHOLDER" like I did for the other weapons until we can either get permission or find something else.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Antagonist » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:20 pm

Schmungey made most of them didn't he?
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Next

Return to Double Action Development