Punching and kicking

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Re: Punching and kicking

Postby Antagonist » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:16 pm

I just had a pretty cool daydream where DAB had melee that worked kind of like this:

Why not just keep brawling as a button on its own but give it special powers! It could deal low or moderate damage but its main function would be different degrees of knockback and obstacle destruction. Regular melee would be a pistol whip (or smg whip) and punches (fast), or a jab with the muzzle of the rifle (slow). A jumping brawl could result in a slower but wide-ranged roundhouse kick that knocks the opponent far away. A crouching brawl could be a crouching groin strike with the gun, since sweeping low kicks don't look cool if the guy getting hit doesn't fall over. If you hold shift and press brawl you'd get short range melee like elbow strikes if you have a one-handed weapon, buttstroke (lol) if you have a rifle and maybe that headbutt move.

If we're still thinking about disarms; the shift + brawl moves could be the disarm moves, so they would only be effective if you're blindsiding another player. While disarmed, it takes a few moments to bring your other gun to bear but you don't suddenly fight with your fists. If we're definitely not going to have disarms, then disregard this part of the post, which discussed disarms.

Stripped of its killing-power, it would be more useful as a way of clearing obstacles to get to places where you can use your gun from. This way, melee wouldn't be particularly useful as a method of dispatching your enemies, but it would be a really good way to get them out of your face if they're about to kill you or if they show up in front of you while you're trying to kill someone else. I think that this could be a really unique and playful take on melee. Since people fly all over the place already, I don't think that it would be a drastic change to gameplay.

I'm still thinking that melee should feel very deliberate. Not at all like TS where you could do a lot of speedy moves.

Don't know. Just throwing it out there. Plus I'm hungry
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby Dementei » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:18 pm

I like it, always good to try new things.
Dementei
BIG D

Postby BullHorn » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:48 am

I really really dislike melee. I actually like how weak it is in DAB right now. I don't know what to tell you on how to improve DAB by changing the melee mechanics but I like flying and shitting and shooting, that's what makes it fun.
[Stink.Inc | BullHorn]
BullHorn

Postby Antagonist » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:46 pm

Yeah bro. It'd still be weak. I'm thinking that it should be very hard to kill anyone with just melee. My idea is not for making brawl stronger but it might make it more fun and useful.
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby Dementei » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:46 pm

We should also incorporate ways to block brawl attacks.
Dementei
BIG D

Postby ThinRedPaste » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:52 am

because fuers and gunners alike were so thrilled by that feature in ts. </sarcasm>

I used it in TS when i was forced to melee, but I did it as a counter-troll. I'd stand stock still and let them do their boost back kick joust, and i'd just block it and slap them a few times. when I won, they would get so maaaaaaaaaad.
Fuck this shit, I'm going to bed.
ThinRedPaste

Previous

Return to Double Action Development