Of mice and meters

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Of mice and meters

Postby ThinRedPaste » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:13 pm

I'm not sure the current two meter slowmo/skill system is the best way to go. I had an idea of how to streamline it, and maybe make meter management play into degrees of play style variation.

First, we remove the slow-mo skill, and make the standard slowmo more powerful. close to normal rate of fire for the activator, activator moves faster than others, activator's bullets move in or near real time.

Then, we combine the meters. No more seconds of slow mo gauge, just the overall power meter, drained by slowmo use.

THEN, and this is the meat, we make the skills passive, and increase their power as meter increases. So tough to kill gives you a slight health and resistance buff to start, but if you get your meter filled you get all the buffs the power gives you now. This way, you have to consciously decide wether to burn your meter on a short, very powerful advantage, or sit on it and ride the long term, lesser advantages, or try to manage it around the middle and use both to some degree.

I think it would add some interesting nuance to the game, with people using their meters differently and various degrees of powerup running around.
Fuck this shit, I'm going to bed.
ThinRedPaste

Re: Of mice and meters

Postby Vino » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:14 am

I don't want to let this thread die, I want it to spawn a discussion, so I'll post the opposing suggestion put forward by Antag and we can debate. I think the meter needs a design update to get rid of an activation button, since there's two now; one for slow motion and one for the style skill.

Antag suggested to me similar to TRP where the player automatically gets style abilities while the bar fills up, but unlike TRP's suggestion, Antag keeps the slowmo on a separate meter, and it's activated by Z.The bonuses for TRP's system are permanent (I think?) until you use some slow motion and then the skill gets taken away. Meanwhile, Antag's skills stick to your player until they're used. For example, if you get an armor bonus then the armor is good for blocking 30 points of damage, and then it's gone. If you get a damage bonus then your next 10 bullets do extra damage, and so on.

Both suggestions cut down on the number of activation buttons, which I think we really need to do. Both suggestions cut out on the problem of "I activated my skill and used it to kill one dude and now I run around for the other 8 seconds trying to find someone to kill." I think the main difference is that TRP's requires you to manage your style skill against your slow motion, while Antag's doesn't.

Personally I favor Antag's system because I think the player should be thinking about stuntan and divan and shootan and not what his meter is doing.

Discuss.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby misanq » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:38 pm

I think any sort of permanent bonus is probably headed down the wrong path, since it likely leads to a place where winners keep winning and losers find a new server.

Maybe you could combine TRP's idea with antagonist's idea (which I like a lot) and have the passive once use abilities, but also have the rewards graduate through levels (4?). So like, if you fill the first bar you get 30 points of armour and on the second you get 30 points of armour and an extra bar of health and so on to some sort of novelty bonus. The idea would be to give every skill a fairly robust first bar skill so that mediocre players get to have a go at it, while also rewarding long kill streaks without making long kill streaks vital to winning, a la COD.

Something like:

Marksman:
Next 10 bullets do more damage (Maybe one mag's worth of bullets instead?)
Extra damage and rapid reload for the next mag.
Two mags of the above.
MACHINE GUN, or a few mags of low recoil, damage and whatnot.

Tough to kill (hardboiled ploz?):
30 armour
30 armour and a health pip (armour doesn't stack, maybe?)
60 armor and two health pips,
T800 mode.

Adrenaline:
Extra slow mo
Extra slow mo and fast health regen for x seconds? Bars? (activated on damage)
Slow mo again? More health regen?
Slow pause next time you get hit.

They're pretty rough and likely imbalanced and too powerful, but you get the gist, right? Also, it might be more interesting to give different rewards every graduation e.g. armour for the first, health for the second, regen for the third.
misanq

Postby Antagonist » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:19 pm

I was thinking sorta like this. Inching sort of towards Misan's mix but I'm unsure what's so different.

I was thinking, like, okay so tough to kill is like "okay x many kills = NEXT LEVEL, RECEIVE x AMOUNT OF ARMOR SHARDS" for instance. And say the extra damage skill goes more like "okay x many kills = NEXT LEVEL, RECEIVE x AMOUNT OF EXPLOSIVE ROUNDS. I think it just seems that a system like that would cause a better gameplay flow and not make you pay attention to a lot of micromanagement. The moment you reach the next killstreak level, you'd see an armor icon or your hud, or your HUD magazine get filled up with a number of red bullets to indicate the extra damage and what-not (that amazing EXPLOSIVE SHOTGUN from Diehard 2 comes to mind).
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby misanq » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:41 pm

The problem with the x amount of kills vs the current style system, is that another reward for stunting would have to be thought up. That said, I think that stunt kills are worth a bit too much style in the current system. Maybe it could be something like three kills per level and then a style kill is worth something like one and a half kills. So if there were 4 ranks, getting a style bonus for every kill would turn 12 kills into 8, which seems pretty reasonable. The only problem is that it would put a limit on what you would be able to reward, since headshots and whatnot probably aren't worth half a kill.
misanq

Postby Antagonist » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:59 pm

Ugh. I actually meant style kills and style actions, even though I typed otherwise. I think that the concept of "kills = level up" is so ingrained into my brain after playing both TS and COD. Silly ol' me.
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Return to Double Action Development