Rollouts

Manual
67%
Automatic
33%

Total votes : 9

dive rollouts

Postby ThinRedPaste » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:22 pm

Vino thinks dives should default to rolling out, for ease of use and because he can't see a situation where staying down and stationary is beneficial.

I think you should have to hold stunt to roll out, and hold crouch to slide, for the sake of logic. Do nothing = nothing happens. Do optional things = optional things happen. I feel more in control that way, and the extra inputs make the game feel a little more active.

What do YOUUUUU think?
Fuck this shit, I'm going to bed.
ThinRedPaste

Re: dive rollouts

Postby Daniel » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:53 pm

I'm confused by how I should answer the poll, and disagree with both of your explained solutions.

As I said before, I think stunts should be handled the same way as in TS. Holding stunt to rollout, but I also want prone to stay in.

And let the record show that I think having to press anything other than the stunt button during a stunt is an awful idea. This isn't a simulation. There's no need to over-complicate things.
Daniel

Postby Vino » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:20 pm

TRP basically wants to keep it the same as in TS, hold stunt to roll out of the dive or let go to go to prone at the end of the dive. Since DA has slides, he proposes that ctrl should send the player to a slide at the end of the dive, but that's ancillary to his question.

If you think the roll at the end of the dive should be manual, ie the player must hold down the stunt button to go into a dive, choose manual.

If you think it should be as it is now, and rolling out of a dive should happen when the player isn't holding the button, choose automatic.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Antagonist » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:36 pm

Why not allow both? Could be a client side option.

MORE FOR YOU TO CODE VINO? HEE HEE SUGGESTING THINGS IS FUN!
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby misanq » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:34 am

ThinRedPaste wrote:I think you should have to hold stunt to roll out, and hold crouch to slide, for the sake of logic.

So what happens if I neither held stunt nor held crouch? :mrgreen: Also, I think both you and vino need to go and sit in the corner for suggesting held-buttons, we're tappers around here thanks.

Personally, I like automatic rollout, since it lets the player keep their momentum without unnecessary button pushes, but at the same time, I don't see why anyone would use or remember to use slides with the current formula, particularly if you have to hold the stunt button. Slides really aren't as useful as diving because they lock you into a linear path for a long time and I don't really think they're particularly fun compared to dives either, so without a compelling reason to actually use slides, I don't think you would ever see them in normal gameplay.
I could see automatic sliding sort of working if it and could be rolled out of at any time, but I mean, that's how it was in TS and I remember always rolling immediately anyway to avoid sliding.
Either way, I would say that the button to roll with either system should be jump rather than crouch or stunt, since if you look at it from a player perspective, they don't want to roll, they want to get up and run.
I think it might be less of a question of automatic vs manual and more one of what are slide's for and where their place in the game should be. Because at the moment they seem to me like the bullet dodge from TS, something that isn't especially useful or necessary, but can screw you up if you press the wrong button at the wrong time.
misanq

Postby Dementei » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:48 am

Mm I think it would be best if we just set it all the same from TS, the system works the way it is, should we really reconfigure it all?
I'm sure for the most of us didn't have a problem with the mechanics and seemed realistic enough.
Dementei
BIG D

Postby Wish » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:25 pm

I don't see a downside to keeping it exactly the same as TS.
Wish

Postby ThinRedPaste » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:28 pm

what if we did it like max payne 3, only without the shitty "you cant shoot while getting up" thing, and with sliding added? in mp3, max will get up when you try to move while prone. any movement key and he gets up. if you hold the key, he does an immediate, faster get up animation as soon as he lands. How about if that's our rollout? keep the movement key held and you'll roll out and keep moving, keep the stunt key held and you'll slide, hold nothing and you'll just land and stay down.
Fuck this shit, I'm going to bed.
ThinRedPaste

Postby Vino » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:40 pm

Yeah I think that's starting to zero in on a good solution. No promises for doing that in the next version, but I'll give it a try at some point.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Return to Double Action Development