9%
free
9%
alternate primary, linked alt.
No votes

Total votes : 11

Re: Akimbo mechanics

Postby ThinRedPaste » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:17 pm

I'm not really in favor of akimbo smgs. when you're talking about that kind of bullet output, balance is almost impossible.
Fuck this shit, I'm going to bed.
ThinRedPaste

Postby Hadji|DP » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:40 pm

so what differentiates akimbo pistols from an smg? it almost sounds like we're designing them to be like semi smgs that have the same accuracy and even longer reload.

if we're gonna go with the "its cool looking" defense, maybe for all of its detriments, going akimbo gives you bonus meter for each successful action that adds meter. It'd consistent with the current design that governs stunt and melee kills.

just throwing it out there also, actions that detract meter points?
Hadji|DP

Postby Daniel » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:04 pm

I like the idea of akimbo MP5ks. :(

Not sure how the style works exactly right now. Definitely agree that there could be a small boost when akimbo, much smaller than a stuntkill. Has the style meter been explained in detail anywhere?
Daniel

Postby Hadji|DP » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:22 pm

Unless its changed dramatically, meter system mechanics should be in the stickied features list.

akimbo smgs are hilarious. And allowing smgs to be akimbo'd would be consistent with the current pistol-smg/shotgun-rifle dichotomy. I don't see why they shouldn't be in.
!
Hadji|DP

Postby Corporal Dogmeat » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:47 am

Hadji|DP wrote:As smgs can be akimbo'd too, would they be a weapon where you throw the piss poor accuracy of smgs away in favor of blasting 500 rpm short range?

Exactly. Also, I agree with the "akimbos are less accurate" notion. With akimbo, you obviously hold your guns with only one hand each. That paired with the fact that your brain is trying to coordinate controlling two guns at once--I think should be justification enough to use that as a balance mechanic for akimbos.

Just out of curiosity: Didn't Action Half-Life do that?
Five'kimbo Raging Bulls for DAB
Corporal Dogmeat

Postby Hadji|DP » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:24 am

i'm not sure. if it did, it may not be a bad idea to organize an AHL play test to see what they did wrong and what they did right.
Hadji|DP

Postby Antagonist » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:52 pm

Been thinking here. Why not just skip akimbos? It looks good right now. Been playing against crates and boxes.
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby ThinRedPaste » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:36 pm

Antagonist wrote:Been thinking here. Why not just skip akimbos? It looks good right now. Been playing against crates and boxes.

You shut your fucking mouth you swedish meatball. We can't not have akimbos in a game like this. It just isn't done.

jk <3 antag
Fuck this shit, I'm going to bed.
ThinRedPaste

Postby Antagonist » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:27 pm

Well then at least let it be like a particular set of guns, like old TS versions had akimbo berettas. I know it's fun to have the ability to mix two guns together, but it just occurs to me that every game that tried akimbo in recent memory either made them useless or extremely gayly. TS 3.0 had the most awful akimbos ever. COD MW2 and MW3 had the most unbalanced akimbos ever. It just seems like a lot of work for something that'll fuck up the focus of the balance.
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby Vino » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:33 pm

For the record, are you a Swede or a Brit living in Sweden?
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby misanq » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:34 am

COD3's dual wielding was ridiculous because most areas of the maps are point blank range tunnels and there's really no way to move or avoid damage while aiming all the rest of the weapons. It's the same reason why the shotguns are stupidly overpowered in the new one. In a game where you can move around and put distance between you and the enemy pretty quickly, inaccurate weapons can be balanced.

What I would like to see with akimbos the aim-in button toggling between single weapons and akimbos, so that akimbos can be balanced appropriately without being disadvantaged at range.
Also, when it comes to automatic akimbos, I think it would be worth trying out a system where the two weapons are linked and each individual bullet does less damage than the single weapon, but together they do more.

So like, say the MP5k does ~15 damage to the chest right now. If you reduce that by 50% down to 10, it would take 10 individual hits to kill a person v.s. 6 for the single weapon, however if the player was able to land every bullet on their target, it would only take 5 'shots'. This way the akimbo toggle is different rather than than being significaltly more powerful at close range, allowing the akimbo toggle to be much more accurate if that's what you want. More so, because the Mp5k is already has very low damage and high RPM, a 50% reduction in damage per bullet won't be noticed, unless you know that it's there.
misanq

Postby Hadji|DP » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:45 am

Would an aimed in single akimbo give an accuracy buff? Single pistols don't get the buff if i remember correctly.

Just because its never been done well doesn't mean its impossible to do it well. We've given much thought about how to balance, but we've spent very little time thinking about why a player would use akimbo, what new gameplay options akimbo give, what purpose akimbos serve as one of the many tools to a player's disposal?

I suggested that maybe akimbos are a class of weapons that let you trade in the damage and accuracy to gain more meter per action. I don't know if that'd be overpowered...

Akimbo also makes the pistol-smg/shotgun-rifle system asymmetric, which just feels weird. Perhaps akimbo can be mirrored on the shotgun/rifle side with tactical add-ons?
Hadji|DP

Postby misanq » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:23 am

Eh? The idea is that single pistols and akimbo pistols are the same weapon and you toggle between the two; the single weapon is normal and the toggled akimbo is less accurate. The trade off is less accuracy for more damage and ammo.
misanq

Postby Hadji|DP » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:31 am

Ah okay, i understand.

That actually sounds really compelling. But it almost seems too strong, even on paper. Any pistol/smg user can push a button to dramatically increase their ammo count. It would be like shotgun/rifle gaining pinpoint accuracy when ironsighted.

which is also very compelling...
Hadji|DP

Postby Antagonist » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:36 am

That is a really good idea. Really really good.

@ Vino: I'm a swede, why do ya ask? :-?
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

PreviousNext

Return to Double Action Development