Vehicles

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Vehicles

Postby Kral » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:38 pm

I know it's a long way away from being even considered implementing with where the project is now (which is really impressive as of its current state, hats off to all involved), how do people feel of at least the philosophy of the addition of vehicles? I think it would be something different and quite cool if done in the right way/on the right maps. Specific examples of sized maps which I believe would be warranted for the inclusion of vehicles are maps like urbannights, where it's a huge city/block that can have as much detail in it as the creator wants and still be seen by ease of access, with drivable vehicles along the road. On the ease of access, it offers players on larger sized maps quicker access to a fight/objective and therefore increasing the flow of the game. And what action movie doesn't have some kind of extreme car chase (law of averages indicate some, but there's no denying they're a huge figure in blowing shit up/killing people movies).

Vehicles to be considered could be along the lines of either luxury vehicles, police cruisers or sports cars - who wants to drive a minivan getting shot at (throw a baby on board on that bitch)?

I know that this is oriented towards a more concentrated version of battle, taking places on roof tops and confined spaces. But I think larger maps, thus facilitating the need for vehicles, would add a new kind of flavour to the game design and possibly drawn in a different kind of audience that is interested in size and overall largeness of a battle/match taking place. Size matters.

I'm not taking into account any coding within the Source engine, as I'm unfamiliar with programming, but obviously supports them (the Buggy in Half-Life 2, etc.)

Just a thought. Again, really nice work.
Last edited by Kral on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I want the sky to cry itself dry.
Kral

Re: Vehicles

Postby Daniel » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:49 pm

I think Source has issues with vehicles online. Not sure though. I can't think of anything online that has vehicles.
Daniel

Postby Kral » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:59 pm

Daniel wrote:I think Source has issues with vehicles online. Not sure though. I can't think of anything online that has vehicles.

What about Garry's Mod?

Kral

Postby Daniel » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:06 pm

Oh yea. I forgot that's a thing. Aren't they really glitchy though?
Daniel

Postby Kral » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:43 pm

Daniel wrote:Oh yea. I forgot that's a thing. Aren't they really glitchy though?

Just went online and gave them a spin. I haven't in a long time, it's cool to see how far Garry's Mod has gone.

They seem to work pretty well. It wouldn't let me collide and kill NPC's or other players but I'm sure thats modifiable. Otherwise there didn't seem to be any major issues, but again, I'm inexperienced for coding so there may be some underlying issues I'm not aware of.

Kral

Postby racer445 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:15 pm

please no
racer445

Postby Vino » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:38 pm

Vehicles are a big proposition. Not only do you have to do the vehicles themselves but once that's done you also have to design maps and gameplay around the vehicles. I'm not saying it's impossible but it's a lot of work, possibly outside the scope of such a small mod team as we are.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Dementei » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:00 am

It would be cool to see no doubt, but yes lots of work. Could imagine though vehicles with four seats, each one being able to shoot out of essentially like GTA. That's pretty much a whole other mod concept.
Dementei
BIG D

Postby Kral » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:05 pm

Vino wrote:Vehicles are a big proposition. Not only do you have to do the vehicles themselves but once that's done you also have to design maps and gameplay around the vehicles. I'm not saying it's impossible but it's a lot of work, possibly outside the scope of such a small mod team as we are.

Certainly. It was just an idea to entertain, and mostly was under the pretense that it would offer options down the road to a wider audience. Moreover, it would allow us to take full advantage of the Source engine and facilitate people's needs for making huge maps possible - I'm sure there are several people who would like to contribute maps large enough that they could implement vehicles into them (ala the hilarious star wars maps in CS 1.6). It's certainly a massive undertaking, especially with the amount of people the mod team has, but as a concept of game design it would seem to be a valid addition (in more ways then eye candy).

Kral

Postby exobot » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:36 pm

i hate to bum all of you guys out but.

Why don't we halt the whole project, then organize a dev team , testers , plan it out , make sketches and concepts , and wait for the new half life engine to come out..

I just feel like by the time this great mod is polished and ready to play , the source engine itself will be just as outdated as the half life 1 engine , and then it would be just like AHl or ts all over again.

i am sorry , but I felt like i needed to speak my mind out.

i appreciate what you guys are doing here , and I sincerely apologize if this comment was just negative.
exobot

Postby Dementei » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:10 am

I wonder if it would be hard to port to a newer source engine if that ever happens though, in any case I don't think the dab train is slowing down any time soon, got big plans coming up soon. We just have to keep believing that this mod will overcome any barriers, I mean look at Cry of Fear...using goldsrc and all the publicity that happened with that. If we do things right, it'll work out, and plus dab is already one of the funnest source mods ever made.
Dementei
BIG D

Postby exobot » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:55 am

Dementei wrote:I wonder if it would be hard to port to a newer source engine if that ever happens though, in any case I don't think the dab train is slowing down any time soon, got big plans coming up soon. We just have to keep believing that this mod will overcome any barriers, I mean look at Cry of Fear...using goldsrc and all the publicity that happened with that. If we do things right, it'll work out, and plus dab is already one of the funnest source mods ever made.

i admire your overall attitude about this , I know at heart gameplay is what matters , but wouldn't it be just nice to have the best gameplay on the best engine for once
exobot

Postby Dementei » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:07 am

Thanks and yes it would be nice, but we don't even know what the new source would bring to the table over the current engine. Guess we will worry about that when it comes around. With new models and assets perhaps we will improve the overall look of the mod too, new map textures would be good too.
Dementei
BIG D

Postby Vino » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:46 am

exobot wrote:i hate to bum all of you guys out but.

Why don't we halt the whole project, then organize a dev team , testers , plan it out , make sketches and concepts , and wait for the new half life engine to come out..

I just feel like by the time this great mod is polished and ready to play , the source engine itself will be just as outdated as the half life 1 engine , and then it would be just like AHl or ts all over again.

i am sorry , but I felt like i needed to speak my mind out.

i appreciate what you guys are doing here , and I sincerely apologize if this comment was just negative.

Don't worry exobot :) I think there's a good chance we could be done by the end of the summer. 8)
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Kral » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:12 pm

Moreover, look what TS did with GoldSrc. I feel people often overlook how awesome it was that the dev team was able to manipulate it to create bullet time, true recoil, and even the concepts of (in my opinion, the best rendition of stunts ever) stunts that all came together to make TS what is in many ways a timeless game even with the outdated technology and its current online state. If the dev team is able to continue hard work on that project (the potential is without a doubt there) I have a feeling it could do what TS did for GoldSrc, with the source engine. Not that I'm discrediting your proposition exo - in many ways it makes alot of sense. And it's pretty inspiring to see how far JM and Morfeo went in order to see their vision realized. All of those things are possible.

That's a lot of TS references, but mostly for the purpose of reference.

Kral

Next

Return to Double Action Development