Food for thought concerning the overall aesthetic

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Food for thought concerning the overall aesthetic

Postby Captain Spectacular » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:49 pm

I completely understand the direction the art is being taken in as it relates to classic, over the top action movies. To that end, what I think this game will continue to look like is a kind of gritty, dark world with lots of hl2 rust and washed out buildings. It works, from an interactive systems standpoint, and keeps the user grounded in a somewhat life-like (not realistic, but it resembles real-life more than complete fiction) atmosphere which again, resembles the movies it is inspired by.

Having said that, I think this game would really sell itself short continuing with that aesthetic. I think that the bulk of users' enjoyment with this game lies in the core mechanics and the gameplay that so naturally ensues as a result of it. We've seen people play CS maps religiously over the years which were nothing but orange placeholder textures, simply because the map design was good and the mechanics were obviously to their liking. Keeping this in mind, I think there are better ways to inform the users of the system they're interacting with through aesthetic itself, by making the world feel as fluid and arcadey, and as stimulating to the senses as the gameplay is.

The way I envision it would be a pretty drastic change. I think this game would benefit from a Mirror's Edge feel. Flat, clean look. Bold primary colors. Well defined edges.

ProTip: show

I think this appeals to the way the game is played more than the typical hl2-mod shooter aesthetic and I think it would add a much needed dose of personality and unique flair that the game is currently lacking. Of course I'm not suggesting it copies Mirror's Edge. But that is what I think the "mood board" should look like.

I don't mean to undermine the work that has been done and I don't have an agenda which contradicts the developers' wishes. Simply giving my opinion, and I will continue to test, support, and play this game.
Captain Spectacular

Re: Food for thought concerning the overall aesthetic

Postby Dean » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:11 pm

It's an interesting idea. I do agree that a cleaner look for some of the maps than what it is at now would be better than the gritty Half-Life 2 aesthetic, but going full Mirror's Edge style isn't exactly the best idea. It's also that a lot of what this game is based on is gritty action films/comics/novels. DA_TrainingDay is pretty clean. I think this will have to be something the mappers feel out on their own.
Dean

Postby Daniel » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:23 pm

The problem with a volunteer dev team is lack of a centralized aesthetic.

It's far too early to be worrying about looks right now anyway. This game is barely an alpha.

But the funny thing about assuming the game is going full grimdark, is that it originally started as an 80s-styled aesthetic, which means everything would've been bright and sterile.

Edit: And I forgot to mention, there's another thread around here discussing stylization, and for the most part, it was disagreed upon.
Daniel

Postby Captain Spectacular » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:11 pm

It's far too early to be worrying about looks right now anyway. This game is barely an alpha.

I'm forgetting this.
Captain Spectacular

Postby Dementei » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:37 pm

I'll make a map look like any theme if I had the textures and props, we all work with what we have pretty much. For rooftops though I think this sort of theme could work, just by using a bit of red outlining around the buildings and such, it needs more color anyway.
Dementei
BIG D

Postby Daniel » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:54 pm

That might be the best thing for all the throwback maps. Keep the same layout, but make them look completely different.
Daniel

Return to Double Action Development