22%
Other (Post it)
No votes
I don't care
No votes

Total votes : 9

Doors

Postby Daniel » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:10 pm

Floppy doors, like what's currently in Rooftops. Physics based. Requires some pushing, shooting, or hitting to open.

Manual, like in HL1/HL2/most games. Running against it or pressing use on it will make it play a canned opening animation. Can either stay open until manually closed again, or will close on its own after a set time.

Static, always open doors. They're there, you just can't manipulate them. Or they're not there at all. Pretty much the same thing.

Was talking to Dementei a bit about this. Apparently it's hard to figure out what people prefer, so here's this poll. Hopefully the winning vote will become a standard across all the maps, though, I guess ultimately it's up to the mapper.
Daniel

Re: Doors

Postby Grunty » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:23 pm

floppy doors all the way braj
Grunty

Postby ThinRedPaste » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:46 pm

floppy, if they can be improved on. they tend to hold you back sometimes and you cant dive or stunt through them.

if they can't be better than they are, though, they might need changed out for something more pedestrian.
Fuck this shit, I'm going to bed.
ThinRedPaste

Postby Antagonist » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:47 pm

Remember back in TS 1.5 when you could kick doors off their hinges? That.

That is what I prefer. Just a lot more physical this time around.
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby Daniel » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:50 pm

Afaik, the current physics doors are all there is. Serverside physics aren't the best. Just look at the barrels and boxes and what not. Offline, they're fine. Online, they're skippy, slow, and seem to weigh a ton. I've never seen Source handle serverside physics any other way.
Daniel

Postby Antagonist » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:54 pm

What a shame.
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby ThinRedPaste » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:56 pm

Actually I think I remember Dementei telling me once that he could make that happen with the physics doors. in which case there's no decision to be made here.
Fuck this shit, I'm going to bed.
ThinRedPaste

Postby Dementei » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:24 pm

Yea I've made doors come off of hinges, but it would happen if you even touched them so it would need a lot of trial and error, or I could make a parented invisible box on where the hinges on the doors would be and if you broke one the hinge would fall off.
Dementei
BIG D

Postby Dean » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:48 pm

The floppy doors are rooftop are really awful if your ping's higher than 60. I constantly get stuck on them. However, I think they'd be a fantastic idea if you could solve being able to slide through them.
Dean

Postby Weedwacker » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:48 pm

If the floppy doors exhibit problems i'd have no problem with them being the standard manual doors.
Lemonade was a popular drink, and it still is
Grunty wrote:honestly if i could suck my own dick i would

Weedwacker

Postby Dean » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:27 pm

The issue with manual doors is that they can usually break the action. Would it be possible to have doors that are in CS:GO/L4D that break away in pieces?
Dean

Postby Wish » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:36 pm

You need to be able to get through them instantly if you have to; they should blow open if you shoot or hit them in any way, with no chance of getting hung up.

Smooth, unbroken movement = good. Things that slow it down and hang it up = bad. True 15 years ago, true now.
Wish

Postby Vincetti » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:09 am

Dean wrote:Would it be possible to have doors that are in CS:GO/L4D that break away in pieces?

Oh my god, I just pictured something out of an action movie where some guy dragon kicks a door, smashing the middle of it out and going through it at the same time.
Vincetti

Postby Vino » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:40 am

At some point I'm going to make the floppy doors fly off the hinges when you shoot them. Then it will be the best of all worlds.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Dementei » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:44 pm

So I went ahead and made a test of doors using the normal func_door which opens with 'e' or by touching it, the floppy physics door with a breakable hinge, tried prop_physics_multiplayer with a door model and hinge that didn't work too well, and then tried prop_door_rotating with triggers on both sides so it would open without pressing 'e' and without touching the door itself. The triggers are a bit more work because I need info_targets on both sides of the doors so it knows which way to open from, they all need different names with each door as well. Overall the prop rotating is the best choice most likely, although it's not as cool as floppy physics..

Last edited by Dementei on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dementei
BIG D

Next

Return to Double Action Development