Character smd files (For animation)

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Character smd files (For animation)

Postby Toby » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:45 pm

Hello there. I was just wondering if there are any smd files available for the characters in the game? Haven't been able to animate for quite some time now so I figured this would be a great chance to get back into it.
If the models just use the standard HL2 citizen bone structure I guess I can animate that and it will work fine but I refuse to decompile the Double Action models. That is just a recipe for disaster and nothing else. (So many things can go wrong.)

Edit:

Well, apparantly the whole deal with this mod is the Open Development. Which is awesome. So I take it that I can get my hands on the characters? Not sure how though.
Toby

Re: Character smd files (For animation)

Postby Vino » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:37 am

We animate with XSI. I wish we didn't, but we did. I can send you those files, if you want. You'll need a particular version of XSI and a particular installer to use them. We have it all in a Dropbox and I give people access pretty readily, but I like to see them send me something once or twice first, so I know they're serious about contributing.

If you want you can re-rig the skeleton for something like Maya. If you did and documented the steps to get animations exporting from Maya 2012 then TRP would love you.

Send me your email and I'll send you all of the info.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Toby » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:40 am

I use 3ds Max at the moment. Where you can set up animation rigs for just about anything with CAT. (Character animation toolkit) I know how to export animations from 3ds Max to Source as well. (To be perfectly honest it was a little while ago so my memory is a bit cloudly on that front but I will remember it quickly)

I'll send you an email in a bit.

Edit:

Can XSI save to the FBX format or obj? Since that would be great.
Also, who made the current animations?
Toby

Postby Vino » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:13 am

TRP made the current animations. If you want to use Max then you could probably just import the reference skeleton and rig it. Once you have that set up then you can export like normal. I think XSI does have an FBX exporter but it's not much good.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Toby » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:56 am

Vino wrote:TRP made the current animations. If you want to use Max then you could probably just import the reference skeleton and rig it. Once you have that set up then you can export like normal. I think XSI does have an FBX exporter but it's not much good.

So the character models aren't based on the HL2 citizens? Also I figured I could dump some gifs of some of my stuff. I'm not the best mind you. But animation is something I really love and I am actually looking into taking extra courses at Uni focusing on 3d graphics and animation. (Currently studying IT engineering)

http://fedorafellows.com/screenshots/so ... poke_2.gif
http://fedorafellows.com/screenshots/soldierbalance.gif
http://fedorafellows.com/screenshots/soldierboxpush.gif

These are all quite old though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DpBUbWo ... vHlf5v7RAQ

And here is an old project I was working on before going to Uni. Wish I could finish it. Animated roughly 30 seconds of that song where the Spy plays in sync. No updated video though.

Here is a bonus as well. A silly taunt I made for the Heavy in TF2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBo_6DMf ... Q&index=24
Toby

Postby Vino » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:33 pm

You're a pretty good animator I would say. You should give yourself more credit.

I've sent you all of our animation files. They're XSI files and decompiled sources. They're not based on the HL2 stuff, we used a completely new rig. Your best bet may be to import the reference skeleton .smd, make your own rig for it, and not even bother about importing the XSI stuff.

ThinRedPaste (the guy who's done all of the animation stuff so far) is a bit burnt out on player model animations so he's more than willing to let others pitch in. Don't be afraid to rework anything you find, or ask questions about how we do stuff.

Let me know if you need anything.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Toby » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:43 pm

Thanks!
I'll have a look at the files and see what I can come up with. :D
Toby

Postby ThinRedPaste » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:23 am

likewise, if I can help out, hit me up on steam. my id is in the sticky for team steams.
Fuck this shit, I'm going to bed.
ThinRedPaste

Postby Toby » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:30 pm

Tada.

Nothing impressive but it works. The feet are a bit odd but I can try and improve it later on.

Edit:

Also there are a few bones I have yet to attach to the rig. Will do soon but the most important ones are done.
Toby

Postby Vino » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:33 pm

Great! What are you going to animate?
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Toby » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:50 pm

Vino wrote:Great! What are you going to animate?

I have to say that is a very good question. I'll have to come up with something to get me going. I have some ideas that I would like to do. But before I make an ass out of myself I'd like to see how far I can get with it. :roll:
Toby

Postby Dementei » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:52 am

Haha, I approve the pose bro, can we please make that a taunt.
Dementei
BIG D

Return to Double Action Development