Default control scheme

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Default control scheme

Postby shmopaloppa » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:13 am

I wanted to get some 'input' on what other people prefer for their controls ha ha ha ha

current default keys:
shift - aim in
mouse2 - dive
mouse3 - melee attack
z - slowmo

proposed change:
mouse2 - aim in
mouse3 - dive
shift - melee attack
c - slowmo

justification:
aim in on the shift key makes it far too awkward to duck and aim in at the same time. Our other options are mouse3, mouse2, and z
mouse3 and z are also both awkward buttons to hold in the default control scheme, which leaves mouse2, which is an intuitive and frequently used binding for this sort of mechanic anyway.

i think shift works well for a default melee button, it's big and easy to mash on

aaand i personally find c easier to hit than z. Any consensus on that?

which leaves stunt for mouse3, and brings me to my main question: what do you use for your stunt button? Would newer players have a hard time getting used to mashing mouse3 all the time? any other feedback on the default control scheme would be awesome too
shmopaloppa
T-rex > : (

Re: Default control scheme

Postby Antagonist » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:21 am

Haha yeah. That actually makes a lot of sense.
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby Vincetti » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:50 am

I don't know if you saw my post on the 'stunt patch' thread, but yeah, I talked about changing some of the default control schemes around. Mouse2 just seems too important (it's the second largest button) to be reserved for movement. I'm pretty sure Vino actually intends/intended to make slo-mo and other powers activate by double-tapping e, like it was in TS. Mouse3 doesn't work for stunting because it's awkward to press consistently and it takes people's finger off the trigger. I recommended shift, but this doesn't work well for ctrl. The only time I find though that you're using them in tandem or relatively close to the same time is when you're drop-sliding, but it's still not the perfect key.
Vincetti

Postby KirbyAyume » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:01 am

My proposition is:
M2 for stunt
M3 for zooming, like in l4d, you would be able to toggle it instead of holding, and it would be interrupted by stunting
shift for melee
F for slowmo
KirbyAyume

Postby Vino » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:19 am

My logic for M2/stunt is that stunting is the primary feature of the game, we want players to learn it first, discover it first, and use it most often. Mouse3 somehow says it's not as important.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby KirbyAyume » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:11 am

Vino wrote:My logic for M2/stunt is that stunting is the primary feature of the game, we want players to learn it first, discover it first, and use it most often. Mouse3 somehow says it's not as important.

kinda what i thought when i proposed my version.
Zooming is rarely used so it would work well on M3, brawiling would be also better and probably more commonly used if it was on shift key.
KirbyAyume

Postby shmopaloppa » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:20 pm

ah, considering that i guess mouse2 for stunt does make the most sense. I've been messing around w/ aim-in on mouse3 and it doesn't feel too bad to hold it down and shoot.
shmopaloppa
T-rex > : (

Return to Double Action Development