Mapping for DA:B + Custom Textures [Tutorial]

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Mapping for DA:B + Custom Textures [Tutorial]

Postby Dementei » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:53 am

Alright so it seems several people want to make maps for Double Action, although most of the configurations are broken with Hammer showing up with no grids and black screens and screwy 3D camera views; which leads me to this thread with a simple solution.

1. Make sure Half-life 2 is installed.
2. Run HL2 once and quit.
3. Open Source SDK.
4. Select 2009 for Engine Version.
5. Select Half-life 2 and run Hammer Editor.
6. Once opened, go to Tools then Options.
7. Under Game Data files, hit Add.
8. Browse to this folder: Steam\steamapps\USERNAME\sourcesdk\bin\source2009\bin\
9. Select hl2mp.fgd and hit Open.
10. File > New and start mapping!

If you want your maps automatically placed into DAB do these:

1. Go to Build Programs tab and under "Place compiled maps in this dir..." click Browse.
2. Go to your Steam\steamapps\sourcemods\dab\maps\ folder and hit OK twice.

If you do the above, you will have to copy the map from dab\maps\ into the hl2\maps folder and back over to dab\maps after packing the bsp, if you want to use custom textures and such.

To get some different textures and such go here: http://css.gamebanana.com/textures
There's a ton to choose from, and they have some really nice skyboxes as well. I'll go ahead and give you an example to successfully add custom textures to your maps.

So let's go with these textures: http://css.gamebanana.com/textures/3458 - Download here.

After you have that downloaded and opened in winRAR or whatever you use, you will see the cstrike folder, check inside and you will see the materials folder. Now go to this folder: Steam\steamapps\USERNAME\half-life 2\hl2\, then drag the materials folder from the rar file that you downloaded into the hl2 folder. It will ask you to merge, hit Yes. The textures are now ready to use, if you check in the materials folder that you just put the new ones into, you will find the custom folder and there's the gravels. Open up the gravel01.vmt with Notepad/Wordpad, on the third line it will read "$basetexture" "custom/gravel01" - which is set up correctly since gravel01.vtf is in the custom folder same with the gravel01_nrm.vtf for the bumpmap, it's always good to check the vmts if the textures show up wrong in hammer or if they don't show up at all. Learn about VMTs and VTFs here.

Anyway, back to Hammer. Click on Browse to search for textures, and filter for custom, you'll find the gravels if done correctly. Go ahead and make a room with the textures, add lighting and a spawn, and compile the map. Then download Pakrat if you don't have it already, make sure you have Java installed too. Run Pakrat with the Executable Jar File, should open with Java, then select your compiled bsp in your hl2\maps\ folder. Hit Scan and for Gamedir make sure it says Steam\steamapps\USERNAME\half-life 2\hl2\ then hit Scan. It should find your gravel materials used in the map and it will be red, hit Add Selected then a popup will show hit Yes to All and select Done. Finally do File > Save BSP it will ask to overwrite go ahead and hit Yes (it makes a backup of the original map with a .bak extension - rename to .bsp to use it again). Now you can test it out and give to your friends, they will also see the textures if done correctly. You can use Pakrat for pretty much everything that you would use for a map.

Oh and one last thing, custom skybox textures.
Download this skybox, and open up the folder Steam\steamapps\USERNAME\half-life 2\hl2\. Drag the materials folder (in cstrike) from the downloaded skybox into the hl2 folder and merge. When you download a sky make sure you see a folder skybox, all' skies go into materials\skybox. So if you get a sky with no folders and just files you know where they go. After that's in, and your map open on Hammer, go to Map > Map Properties. Select Skybox Texture Name and put in mpa125. Hit Apply and compile map, if you want to test it in DAB be sure to Pakrat it then copy the map over from hl2\maps to dab\maps. If a sky is called for example coolskybox1_bk then you would put in coolskybox1_ for the texture name, with the underscore.

Well I basically bunched it all up in paragraphs but there you have it. If you want a huge pack of textures to use, download THIS! And now that you know how to install them and pack them into a bsp you are set! Have fun mapping with your new amazing textures!
Dementei
BIG D

Re: Mapping for DA:B + Custom Textures [Tutorial]

Postby KirbyAyume » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:30 am

Good one, should help some people.
I am going to make props and textures for maps, so I am taking requests, just not too many things at one time k?
also right now I am making windows that would work just like in cs:go
meaning window is not just a func_breakable_surf, but intsead its a prop that breaks into specified gibs, should look really cool when someone flies trough them.
KirbyAyume

Postby Xylem » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:36 pm

Is there anyway we can edit map currently in Double Action? Like through a public Dropbox folder? I desire to add some textures, additional brushwork and so on to some of the official maps.
Xylem

Postby Vizzy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:08 pm

anyway to have it set up more for DA, like use the textures from its directory

for example right now i have like textures/models from l4d2(after fixing them to work in 2009 engine) in the hl2 folder and I set the compile to not run bsp right, because I cant test gameplay for DA in hl2

but obv when i run double action all those custom files are gone unless I use packbsp or something everytime, which is unfeasible/annoying
Vizzy

Postby Dementei » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:01 pm

Xylem wrote:Is there anyway we can edit map currently in Double Action? Like through a public Dropbox folder? I desire to add some textures, additional brushwork and so on to some of the official maps.

You could use VMEX to decompile and then edit the maps, if there's anything packed in the BSP you can use GCFScapeto extract it and put it in whatever directory you are using for mapping such as hl2. Most of the maps we have don't use packed maps so all the used materials/models/sounds are in the dab folder, except for jah streets I think that has packed content. Which map(s) do you intend to edit?

And Vizzy, the only way that I know of is by packing the bsp everytime you compile. I tend to keep Pakrat open while mapping, takes only a few seconds to do anyway.
Dementei
BIG D

Postby Vino » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:14 pm

Nah man, this is open development. I'd like it if everyone can have access. What maps do you want to mess with Xylem? Here's what we'll do.

1. We'll send them to you, and you'll do your shit and send them back.
2. We'll check out the changes and if they're cool we'll take them.
3. Once you've contributed one or two things so we know you're serious, we'll give you access to the repositories.

That's the way we usually do things.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Xylem » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:52 pm

Sounds cool, so I think I'll take a shot at editing Stranger, Doubletrouble, and Jah Streets. I'll probably make a few assets for Jah Streets like rain sounds and posters.
Xylem

Postby Dementei » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:43 am

You can just upload them and put em on here or you can send to me or Vino via Steam, I'll take a look when you want. Thanks.
Dementei
BIG D

Postby Vino » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:09 am

Okay I'm at GDC right now but send me an email (contact thread) and when I can I'll send you the files. Or Dementei, maybe you can send them?
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Dementei » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:16 pm

Here you go Xylem, http://filesmelt.com/dl/Xylem_-_Maps.7z you may need to copy your materials/models/sound from dab into whichever directory you are using to map.
Dementei
BIG D

Postby Xylem » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:15 am

Dementei wrote:Here you go Xylem, http://filesmelt.com/dl/Xylem_-_Maps.7z you may need to copy your materials/models/sound from dab into whichever directory you are using to map.

Thanks! Anything I add I will send through PM's or in this thread. Right now I'm working on getting Overturn out the door but I can additional time to work on these since I felt really inspired to fix up these maps.
Xylem

Postby Dementei » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:15 am

Right on, at least you have the inspiration to spruce up the maps, because I know I don't, I'd rather focus on new maps.
Dementei
BIG D

Postby winner1324 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:48 am

Does anyone know of or have a good glass texture for windows?
winner1324

Postby KirbyAyume » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:33 am

winner1324 wrote:Does anyone know of or have a good glass texture for windows?

default ones are fine, unless you look for something specific
KirbyAyume

Postby winner1324 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:57 pm

KirbyAyume wrote:
winner1324 wrote:Does anyone know of or have a good glass texture for windows?

default ones are fine, unless you look for something specific

I mean like is the name of a default one to use? Every time i apply the texture and make it a func_breakable_surf, go in game and shoot it; the texture goes all weird.
winner1324

Next

Return to Double Action Development