Voice Acting

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Voice Acting

Postby MegapiemanPHD » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:12 pm

Hello fellow Cool Cats and Hot Hornets, I read on a different post about adding some voice lines to this mod. I do a bit of voice acting and freely offer my services towards the development of DA. Below are some examples of what I can do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj3FDlfyuhc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-cBWQsC3Lc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2M9Fi1Fu1g

What I'm looking for from you guys, the general populous, are ideas on how Frank and Wish should sound as well as things they should say. Both of them are very different characters with their own reasons for doing things. I have some voice acting friends who can do which ever character I don't but keep in mind, the more suggestions for lines you leave the less you have to hear the same ones if they get used in the mod.
MegapiemanPHD

Re: Voice Acting

Postby Vino » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:59 am

Heya mega. Thanks for posting here. Normally there'd be other people pitching their thoughts in by now, who knows why they aren't.

I would love to hear some voice acting in DA. It's fairly straightforward to hook up voices to the characters, although the way we have our rigs right now, their mouths won't move. We don't really have any writers, unless you count TRP and Wish. I'll try to ping them and get them to post here.

For this game I think we want very short lines, a few seconds at most, that happen at specific events or conditions. Anything too long and it'll get lost. We'll also want enough variety that it doesn't get dull. So for example, if there are no enemies around and the player just got a kill, his dude could say, "That settles that." or something. So to start a list of events:

* After a kill
* Spawn
* Throwing a grenade ("Eat this")
* Activating style skill
* Reloading
* Switching from an empty weapon

Hopefully that will get the creative juices flowing.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Lithe » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:30 pm

It seems we're going to be stealing what DOTA2 has and twist it towards our own ends, so don't forget character-character quips along with general ones. So if character A spawns into a game where someone is playing their rival, character B, then we could have A quip something cute like, 'Your days be numbered, B.' This process applies over all the classes of lines.

Maybe have a class of 'win' lines for the scoreboard leaders at the end of a match?
Lithe

Postby Weedwacker » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:31 pm

Pls no reloading voice command.

Other than that, there has to be a chav character.
Lemonade was a popular drink, and it still is
Grunty wrote:honestly if i could suck my own dick i would

Weedwacker

Postby MegapiemanPHD » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:30 pm

Weedwacker wrote:Pls no reloading voice command.

But reloading voice commands never get old, never ever. Frank could work as a Chav character since his back story says he spent allot of time in Europe, I don't think it would fit too well for Wish personally.
MegapiemanPHD

Postby Daniel » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:49 pm

Frank, a chav? No, I just don't see it.

The VA work is pretty good, but no offense, you can't do a believable American. Your accent comes out in every line I heard. All the non-American lines sounded good though.

As a suggestion, an evil, British villain character would be great. Like in Star Wars. All the bad guys are British.
Daniel

Postby MegapiemanPHD » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:11 pm

Daniel wrote:Frank, a chav? No, I just don't see it.

The VA work is pretty good, but no offense, you can't do a believable American.

I find that interesting since I have always lived in the United States. I was wondering though, are there any other characters besides Frank and Wish? Characters who are planned but aren't in the game yet?
MegapiemanPHD

Postby Daniel » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:23 pm

Then you're trying too hard to do "a voice" and making things sound British somehow. It's very confusing.
Daniel

Postby Vino » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:54 pm

We don't have any plans for more characters since we're really at the whims of whatever people want to model. I'd love to see more characters though, of course, and we have some ideas for some.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby misanq » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:06 pm

I think the character that inspired frank is actually supposed to be American, but either way I'd have to agree that Chav and biker really don't mix, culturally. A cockney accent or something northern Euro like German or Finnish, would probably work lot better with the character, while also sounding a lot less like a whiny teenage thug.

Either way, I like your work, it has lots of character. I've always dreaded the idea of voice acting, since it's one of those things that has to be done well or not at all and it's pretty rare to find some who has the skill to do it well, so I look forward to seeing what you do.
misanq

Postby ThinRedPaste » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:36 pm

Actually the character that inspired Frank is a Russian pretending to be an American. He doesn't have any trace of an accent though so for all intents and purposes he's American.
Fuck this shit, I'm going to bed.
ThinRedPaste

Postby Ott » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:32 am

Weedwacker wrote:Pls no reloading voice command.

"I love to reload during a battle."
ImageImage
Ott

Postby Antagonist » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:34 am

Chav announcer. Just think about it. : D
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby Weedwacker » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:27 pm

I'm glad this idea has really taken off
Lemonade was a popular drink, and it still is
Grunty wrote:honestly if i could suck my own dick i would

Weedwacker

Postby MegapiemanPHD » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:34 pm

After looking up what Chav is I realized that I was confusing it with Cockney and agree that it wouldn't work well for Frank. I'll have some time to record on Thursday. I plan on posting at least 2 different voice demos for Frank, one more European and one more American. Depending on experimentation when recording depends on how many different demos there will be. Since I have gotten the most feedback for Frank I will be mostly focusing on him then posting the demos here to get feedback on, so if anyone wants to suggest a few things for that character please do before Thursday.

I have some ideas for Wish as well but nothing to fantastic yet. Basically my idea for him is a calm, cool, collect character and pretty much Frank's exact opposite. I'm thinking a more calculated voice, possibly a bit cold from the loss of his family but I'm not set on anything specific yet.
MegapiemanPHD

Next

Return to Double Action Development