Handling destructable environments

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Handling destructable environments

Postby Black_Stormy » Tue May 14, 2013 12:01 pm

So I think one of the most fun things DAB could offer is levels that change as the game progresses due to the environment being destroyed. Some of the maps already use destroyable brushes and I think this is a great idea but I'd like to take it a bit further. I am wondering how server traffic would fare after a whole lot of models have been broken. I know you can set a fade time on gibs but the dirt and bits everywhere is part of the appeal. Since gibs are essentially de-activated polygons (no collision or effects from forces like explosions) would the overhead be particularly bad? Lets say there is a staircase with vertical wooden poles in a room, 250 of them along the staircase, and every one of them gibbable. if they were all gibbed, would the overhead be ridiculous? Each pole may gib into three very low poly parts, and once stationary would stay there. I think the overhead could get worrisome fast in a more detailed map, so rather than allowing the gibs to litter the floor and not fade, perhaps spawning some func_details and decals after a certain amount of stuff has been broken would be more appropriate.

Other models that would be fun to shoot and see them fly around would be things like pots and pans and other things that wouldn't make sense to fade and become non-dynamic. In a kitchen scene, or a storeroom with heaps of non fading items, how many physics activated meshes would be too much? Are there any maps in other games with lots of physics items that runs well? Other than clever visleafs, what technique is there available to make sure a dynamic map runs smoothly? Does prop_physics_multiplayer really lower traffic?

Hell, it's open development, I'm sure you'll find out where the limits are, just wondering if anyone has though much about this.
Black_Stormy

Re: Handling destructable environments

Postby Daniel » Tue May 14, 2013 3:43 pm

Still waiting on the current destructables to be able to respawn, so I feel like no one's really prioritizing it.

I think a lot of client-side non-collision clutter would be great. They should probably respawn at some point too though.
Daniel

Postby Black_Stormy » Wed May 15, 2013 1:54 am

Do you mean respawn at the beginning of a new match? Or during a match? I don't think I wouldn't want them to respawn at all. This means even in the same session multiple games on the same map would be different due to the environment changing.
Black_Stormy

Postby Dementei » Wed May 15, 2013 5:02 am

I thought a bit about destructible environments, I'd like really if a clean map could turn into a whole other environment by all the bullets and explosions too. It requires a lot of breaking up maps, and it's very time consuming. We could also use some better bullet and explosion decals. Source though..is just really easy to break especially network wise, too much and it'll go down. 250 breakables would be an instant crash or some really horrible lag for sure.
Dementei
BIG D

Postby Black_Stormy » Wed May 15, 2013 5:15 am

Do entities that are walled off in a different visleaf count towards the entity count? I guess the problem would be with the server tracking all the debris. What about proh_physics_multiplayer? that doesn't clip with the player so I assume it is handles client side. Would they provide more breathing room for debris?
Black_Stormy

Postby Dementei » Wed May 15, 2013 6:30 am

Maybe, but that would require mappers to have many models instead of map geometry, I think func_breakables spawning prop_dynamic rubble debris or whatever would be okay, a decent amount for sure.
Dementei
BIG D

Postby winner1324 » Fri May 17, 2013 6:32 pm

My map da_city has a semi-destructible environment. Some walls floors and pillars are destructible.
winner1324

Return to Double Action Development