Stormy's mapping notes

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Re: Stormy's mapping notes

Postby Dysprogue » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:29 am

Why have one crane when you can have two?

http://youtu.be/iZxNbAwY_rk?t=3m10s

I think a singular crane may be a bit flow breaking if you're adding it way above the main arena. If you add some stuff around it like steel frame work, other cranes and crane cargo then it may work better (having steel frame work would mean you can still have space for a superfall and maybe some stuff to dodge on the way down)
Dysprogue

Postby Bobby Buns » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:03 pm

I agree that two cranes would be better, especially if double action ever adds grappling hooks.
Bobby Buns

Postby Black_Stormy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:12 am

I have done a little bit of work to Da_Trainingday, mainly cosmetic but also for gameplay:

I put some steps in here so it's easier to get out of the hole. The train ledges were at dive height and I hate getting stuck in there. Now it's much easier to do a sneaky side dive and find some cover in the pillars.

I have always wanted to put more detail up here, but I'm not sure what. I put some placeholder cover to see how it plays. I'm thinking this could be either a fun addition to gameplay or just more cover for annoying snipers. We shall see.

I will have this version of the map up on my server - Stormy's Down Under Diver Jive - as Da_Trainingday_dev. Come play it!
Black_Stormy

Postby Black_Stormy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:00 am

I have been playing a little bit with da_sacred, thought I'd give it a more church-y look.

Black_Stormy

Postby Black_Stormy » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:37 am

A little more work on sacred.

Black_Stormy

Postby Black_Stormy » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:53 am

aaaaand a little more tuning. I've only been working on the interior, the external areas still need some love. It's still a bit buggy but it's up on my server now; Black_Stormy's Down Under Dive Jive

Black_Stormy

Postby Black_Stormy » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:35 pm

pew

pew pew pew
Black_Stormy

Postby Black_Stormy » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:03 am

Worked on a cloistery entrance to the church. The version of this map is up now on my Down Under Dive Jive and the DA Official Aussie Server.

Black_Stormy

Postby Black_Stormy » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:00 am

Ok, I am packaging up what I have so far in order to push a release. There are a few other things pending that I would like to get into this build but I'll prefer to release it now than wait another few months.

Things that have been updated:
New sounds a'la Rez
New map: Da_official by Hellu
Map updates: Da_trainingday and Da_sacred
New particle effect from Janagalomph to signal style skill activation
First batch of achievements
Nerfed the vindicator by:
increasing recoil when aimed in
dropping the damage from 20 to 18
slowed the fire rate by .25 sec
Increased the weight on nades from 0 to 10
Increased nade damage from 120 to 135

There are also some hangovers from trying to add other features, but nothing gamebreaking. Namely:
The Derringer and Drugs (a can of soft drink) are in the game, but not added to the buy menu. Bots will buy them automatically every now and then so you may see them floating around the map, usually you won't be able to pick them up.

I have a few last minute additions before I can push this all live, but you can expect an update by the end of September.
Black_Stormy

Postby l-homme-d-action » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:56 am

the church textures and architecture looks nice :)
l-homme-d-action

Postby Black_Stormy » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:26 am

Fiddling with the latest addition to the DA arsenal:

edit:
Black_Stormy

Postby Black_Stormy » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:50 pm

I have been trying to get an update to build to the dev branch on steam, but I haven't been able to get it working. So today I sat down with it and tried to get at least something working.

So I renamed my DA folder and re-installed DA from steam, giving me a fresh install of the game. I took that fresh install and copied it over to my build folder. Then I built the dev branch of the game from the copied fresh install.

I went into steamworks and pushed that build to dev (the build date was today so it's the freshly built version). Then I went back into steam and opted into the dev beta to get the dev branch. I got an update alert from steam, installed the update and launched the game.

The menu comes up fine and the leaderboards load, but when I go to load a map or join a server, the level will load and freeze momentarily at the buymenu, then DA silently craashes to desktop.

I pulled this install straight from the fully functional steam install, what went wrong? Do the steam build tools re-build or edit some aspect of the game files? How did this not work?
Black_Stormy

Postby Vino » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:11 pm

There is probably some code that has been added since Boog that's crashing for some reason. If you can chill out until January I will get some for real coding resources on this so that you don't have to do that crap.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Previous

Return to Double Action Development