Stormy's mapping notes

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Re: Stormy's mapping notes

Postby Penguininnabox » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:52 pm

Black_Stormy wrote:Speaking of dethroning rooftops, I played a really cool beta map a while back that was a bunch of scaffolding in between two skyscrapers. I could totally whip that together in the time I have left - I already made a bunch of construction and scaffolding models for streets and new skybox assets for rooftops. It would be good to have another map with superfallage.

Oh god YES! I loved that map!
Scout wrote:How the hell did these arctic animals get so good with firearms?
Penguininnabox

Postby Black_Stormy » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:46 pm

Ok, I started on a map in between two buildings.

Anyone want to playtest it with me?
Black_Stormy

Postby Penguininnabox » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:16 pm

I would love to, but im going to be busy until Sunday at least, but just say when and i might be able to pop in.
Penguininnabox

Postby TheHappyTurtle » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:05 am

I'd be up for playtesting anytime i'm not at college. If you ever need an extra person for playtesting, just hit me up on Steam.
"No matter where you are... everyone is always connected"

TheHappyTurtle

Postby Black_Stormy » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:15 am

Awesome cheers guys. I'll put some more lighting and details in and then pack a .bsp for all to enjoy. In the meantime, here's an update:

This is the main area for the map, the part where the players will collide and enter epic superfalls. I kinda slapped down that scaffolding without looking at reference and now I'm skeptical about wether or not to keep it. I am also thinking of moving the buildings apart more and putting in high rise window washer trolleys on the completed building to allow the players to jump across. Also, anyone know what's going on with that door?

Bare construction site, waiting for details and stuff to dive/slide/shoot around:

The office space. I'm not sure about the red but I am going to put some posters on the walls yet which should break it up more. I wanted to introduce better colour variation to the walls as the aforementioned 'cheap detail' and a way to break up the surface BSP for better lighting/cubemaps.

Black_Stormy

Postby Dementei » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:11 am

Nice job storm, gonna be fun :D
Dementei
BIG D

Postby Black_Stormy » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:01 pm

I don't like the steam forums, so I'm posting my stuff up here. I invite everyone to come back to these forums for the raw stuff, the steam forums seem to mostly be bug requests.

I've been working on trainingday a bit, just adding in more lights and making some gameplay adjustments. In particular I lowered the rail on the top level so it's now jumping height for quick escape, I put stairs in the platforms to aid in getting out of the rail well and I put the trains back in! At the moment the ones in the middle come in and stop, maybe in the future I can make a full train model for it. The outer rails are freight trains which blow on through and should clean out anyone trying to camp in there. I also put lights in the railways so you can see who you;re shooting. Since we lost muzzle flashes it's been impossible. Here's some shots:

This stuff will be in the beta build at some point in the future.
Black_Stormy

Postby Black_Stormy » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:56 pm

Black_Stormy

Postby Penguininnabox » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:17 pm

That looks super sexy now that its all textured! Cant wait to use it in game!
Penguininnabox

Postby Black_Stormy » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:10 am

I was talking to Scout tonight and she mentioned it might be good as a grenade replacement. Since we have the health booster planned we could add it into that system to give it a bit more depth. I like that idea. Maybe have it quick draw if your mag is empty.
Black_Stormy

Postby Ott » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:32 pm

Black_Stormy wrote:I was talking to Scout tonight and she mentioned it might be good as a grenade replacement. Since we have the health booster planned we could add it into that system to give it a bit more depth. I like that idea. Maybe have it quick draw if your mag is empty.

I asked Vino and he said Scout was a guy. Which is it damnit, I can't use "they" forever. Quick draw sounds cool, is this the Plan D?
ImageImage
Ott

Postby Penguininnabox » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:47 pm

Black_Stormy wrote:I was talking to Scout tonight and she mentioned it might be good as a grenade replacement. Since we have the health booster planned we could add it into that system to give it a bit more depth. I like that idea. Maybe have it quick draw if your mag is empty.

So like you press the nade button, you draw the derringer, and have 2 shots before you toss it? Ehh, I would rather just have it as just another gun to switch to at my leisure, but that could work.
Penguininnabox

Postby Ott » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:05 pm

Instant draw, absurd reload.
ImageImage
Ott

Postby Black_Stormy » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:36 pm

Yeah there's a lot of variables that we'll need to iron out, we just need to get it into the game first.

I have a habit of taking photos of stuff when I'm walking around because they give me some dim idea of something to do in a map, or they would be good textures. I have sorted them out in my google drive. They're free for dipping if anyone wants:

Reference images

Texture images

I'll add to it as I take more pics.
Black_Stormy

Postby Demolitions » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:56 pm

I definitely like the idea of the derringer, but really I just want something more Risk vs Reward. The guns right now are all very "safe" if you know what I mean. Something like the Contender G2 from TS.
Demolitions

PreviousNext

Return to Double Action Development