No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Re: Stormy's mapping notes

Postby Black_Stormy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:31 pm

I have been streaming as I work, feel free to tune in:

http://www.hitbox.tv/BlackStormy
Black_Stormy

Postby Black_Stormy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:16 pm

I did a video about what I have been doing. Have been streaming a lot too.

Black_Stormy

Postby Fabled Fox » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:24 am

Hey stormy I was just wondering who was the one that came up with the 3 lines with hotspots level design idea.
I always found that mentality of level design interesting and it makes mapping for Double Action fun.
Fabled Fox

Postby Black_Stormy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:39 pm

Yeah that was me. It's not a rule, just something to follow if you don't have a design plan of your own. The only rule is that you have to have a plan, so that's like a template really.

I've been hammering away at da_trainingday for the last week and I finally have something to show. Going to fiddle around for a few more days and then I'll put it all in the sync so anyone with read access can playtest it for me.

Black_Stormy

Postby Ott » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:10 am

Did you fix D's ugly cubemap mirror?
ImageImage
Ott

Postby Dementei » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:07 pm

:( I will when he's done
Dementei
BIG D

Postby Black_Stormy » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:13 pm

Ok I'm done with trainingday for now. It's a bit repetetive because I ran into overtime and just copied a bunch of stuff. I'm also not happy with the lighting, but I need to move onto the next map. If anyone feels like playing with it and adding some more stuff feel free, it's all in the sync. Or you can just download and play it if you have access.

Not sure which map I'll do next... suggestions?
Black_Stormy

Postby Rai » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:45 pm

I want to see a freighter ship. With containers and what not. Upper deck, lower cargo hold. The bridge.
If not that, maybe a cruise ship. I just want to see a boat.
Rai

Postby Black_Stormy » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:40 pm

That's a good idea actually. Skybox would be simple enough. Although I am focusing on detailing the maps we already have right now. I have time for one more. So I guess I should have said: which map from the current line up should I polish next?
Black_Stormy

Postby Scout » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:52 pm

I like what you were doing with temple a few months ago, with the flags. What's the status on that?
Scout

Postby Penguininnabox » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:55 am

I agree, rather that focus on the most popular maps, wouldn't it make more sense to work on the less loved maps so they can get more attention?
Scout wrote:How the hell did these arctic animals get so good with firearms?
Penguininnabox

Postby Black_Stormy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:18 am

I was aiming to dethrone rooftops. It's so much more popular than the rest of the maps I was hoping that spicing up the maps closer to the bell of the curve would help level that sloped map bias. But you just can't compete with superfall man. I want people to have a hard time picking maps, instead of having a rooftops infinite rotation on every server.

Also I think I totally lost all that work I had on sacred a while ago. I had some big plans for it too but I'd probably change it now anyway.

Speaking of dethroning rooftops, I played a really cool beta map a while back that was a bunch of scaffolding in between two skyscrapers. I could totally whip that together in the time I have left - I already made a bunch of construction and scaffolding models for streets and new skybox assets for rooftops. It would be good to have another map with superfallage.
Black_Stormy

Postby Black_Stormy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:44 pm

Figure I might as well provide some screens of what I dun:

This is the central area. I got rid of all the obstacles and raised the ceilings a bit, hopefully thi will make for some more freedom in this area.

Here is one of the wings. I also removed the pillars here because they only served to stop my sliding. I did some changes to the ends of the wings so that it would be harder to camp, and easier to kill people who try to.

This is the new underside area. I wanted to have two hotspots in the map, so I opened up the railway tracks a lot. Now players can fight upstairs or down on the tracks. They are on seperate visleafs so it shouldn't lag out too much. Optimization was a BITCH for this long ass map.

And here is the other train track. This will all be in the steam release, or you can play it right now if you download from the sync.
Black_Stormy

Postby Ott » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:57 pm

Great work, the tracks were ridiculously dark in previous versions of the map. Although I do miss the pillared divider on the middle tracks.
ImageImage
Ott

Postby Black_Stormy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:54 pm

I feel like it plays better having that area there. The map can handle more players in the small area it has. But if we playtest it and it sucks then for sure we'll change it back.
Black_Stormy

PreviousNext

Return to Double Action Development