Stormy's mapping notes

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Re: Stormy's mapping notes

Postby Black_Stormy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:56 pm

Ok so I had a brainwave late the other night about da_highwire. The office environment I was making was lacklustre and going nowhere. I'm enjoying what I'm making much more now.

I'm thinking of making a big shiney bank vault somewhere, I know Hellu was thinking of making a bank level and I'd love to make a cool vault door. This is all BSP, I'll be adding a whole lot of models to it when I got back and detail it properly.

Black_Stormy

Postby l-homme-d-action » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:18 pm

lighting settings seems to be very good :)
Nice job
C'est du jamais vu !
l-homme-d-action

Postby Black_Stormy » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:53 pm

Thanks, I think I'll change the angle and maybe blue it up a bit but i'm happy with the brightness.

I'm dropping this here so I can find it for later
http://candrsenal.com/gallery-anatomy/
http://candrsenal.com/gallery/
Black_Stormy

Postby Black_Stormy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:15 pm

With some help from my mate Sith_Lord of Anarchy Arcade:

STAY TUNED
Black_Stormy

Postby Black_Stormy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:37 pm

Ok so the more avid viewers would have seen that we now have achievements! They aren't live yet because I want to test them via the dev branch first. Big thanks to Dysprogue and Retnu16 for the icons, I'll be adding more achievements gradually stick around you two!

Epifire and I have also been working a little more on highwire, and we have it at a basic gameplayable state. You can get the tentative alpha here (be warned, it's ugly). Wiz has put it on his server so it should be in the rotation there if you want to play it. Next step is to create a nice skybox, which I am working on at the moment.
Black_Stormy

Postby Bobby Buns » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:15 pm

Quick question for making maps: is superfall automatically activated for falls of a certain height? Or do I manually assign superfall locations?
Bobby Buns

Postby Black_Stormy » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:23 pm

Superfall triggers automatically at the moment (after 5 seconds of falling iirc) but I'd like to add a brush entity that mappers can use to trigger it manually too.
Black_Stormy

Postby Black_Stormy » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:18 pm

We seem to be having a bit of a player spike: http://steamcharts.com/app/317360

Anyone have any idea why?
Black_Stormy

Postby Dysprogue » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:15 pm

Does superfall invariably result in death or is that dealt by a hurt trigger?
Dysprogue

Postby Black_Stormy » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:35 pm

trigger_kill them or they'll do that wierd flop on the ground thing.
Black_Stormy

Postby Black_Stormy » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:47 pm

So I have been doing some more work on highwire and I think I'm relatively happy with the layout. I have been collaborating with Epifire as well on this one and it's all coming together. PICS!

This is the back side of the office building. The office itself was too small and I wanted to provide another hotspot on the opposite side of the construction site. It's been through a few iterations but I'm pretty happy with it now, it's
got lots of stuf to jump on, off, over and through.

And here's the room you can see on the left of the rooftop picture. It's really just providing a vis blocker and some alternate paths to the outside at the moment, I need to give it more visual purpose.

Zoom out from there and you can see the hallways that I have showed before, I managed to convert all the roof funk_details to models and so I'm avoiding the t_junc limits.

Here's the main hall, not much change other than that the windowframes and funky_details are all models now.

Then, if you were to jump out those windows, you would enter the construction site, which Epifire has been fiddling with. Epifire is a modeller from Interlopers and he's been collaborating on Highwire and making some sweet new models too.

He's got some cool paths, and it's all designed to make the players dive between the buildings. Superfalls fo DAYZ.

This is the interior, there's heaps of stuff to break, Epifire made some awesome destruction effects in this bit.

The roof isn't currently available to players, we're not sure if we should open it up or not.

And I'm thinking a crane in there somewhere, that the player can climb way to the top of and superfall from. I'm not sure how it would play though. Any suggestions? Feedback? What do you guys think of it so far? I want to have a playtest sometime soon...
Black_Stormy

Postby Bobby Buns » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:23 pm

I'm not sure about a crane. I don't want to sound like Valve, but I feel like it would be confusing for new players to get onto. Also, that sort of high ground encourages vindicator camping. Therefore, the best place to put a crane would be somewhere in between the two buildings, as another, safer way to get across. Not that its a good idea to give people a safe option XD.
Bobby Buns

Postby Penguininnabox » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:56 pm

A crane sounds good, but like Bobby said, it shouldnt have TOO good of a view as to encourage camping. Also, "climbing" on the crane consists of a ladder, i will kick you in the nuts, that ladder in rooftops is flow-breaking enough, try to find some way to allow more "free" movement on and off of the crane.

Edit: Also, would it be possible to have a trigger to END superfall. I got some map ideas floating around my head, and one of them would involve having a superfall "zone" that players could jump in and out of at will.
Scout wrote:How the hell did these arctic animals get so good with firearms?
Penguininnabox

Postby Bobby Buns » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:02 pm

The superfall begin and end triggers would be nice to have indeed. Maybe in DOF?
Bobby Buns

Postby Black_Stormy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:44 am

Yeah if we trigger it on there's no reason we can't trigger it off. I'll do that when I get to implementing those trigs.
Black_Stormy

PreviousNext

Return to Double Action Development