Stormy's mapping notes

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Re: Stormy's mapping notes

Postby Black_Stormy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:56 pm

Cheers misan, you're spot on about the stockings and boots, I thought the same but just ran off the concept. I get the feeling it's the concept you have most problems with though. I changed the boots to a more combat/functional design as opposed to the heels in the concept in order to de-sexualise her a bit:

Also I knew the skirt looked odd but I have no idea how girly clothes work (I swear they are gravity-defying IRL as well). Do you think I could change the material of the skirt and still have it match the colour layout? I really like the horizontal strips of brown and black and I think throwing another colour in there could throw it off. For what it's worth, in order to counteract the apparent higgs-boson-less skirt, I attached it at the back, asi (ignore the texture):

Maybe I could remove the stockings and make the skirt a longer brown denim or something, like an old western cowgirl. That would fit the action movie a bit more and help to de-sexualise her a bit. Maybe something like this:

Although, skirts like that fucking SUCK for animation deformation so I would prefer to keep her in pants at least. Maybe shorty shorts are the go. Also the belts provide a nice break up of the black and brown and act as highlight points so I like having them there. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I could use there instead of useless belts?

I will change the jacket so it's not glued to her boobs, didn't even notice and you're totally right. I am trying to keep the character appealing but not have her be a sexual object, hence the turtleneck. Although I will keep the pocket chunky, I think it reads better and it means I don't need to draw the damn thing in the texture. I hate texturing.
Black_Stormy

Postby misanq » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:18 pm

I don't know whether a cowgirl is on message for a action movie game bulging with dudes in suits. I think you best bet might be to approach it from a point of who you imagine the character to be and design the outfit from there. The most obvious choice would be the

A biker hitwoman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RFXNtVmjI4&t=2m57s (lol)
ProTip: show

Pretty, simple: black jacket, black pants or jeans, possibly a white t shirt, some black fingerless gloves. (It's seriously awesome that even on pintrest it's almost impossible to find biker chicks wearing actual leathers appropriate for riding and not some combo of bikinis and ridiculously heeled boots).

A female version of chuck norris:

Pretty simple again. Jacket, jeans, leather belt with appropriately huge belt buckle, shirt/tank top, a ranger star somewhere, black gunslinger gloves.

Or, some sort of DIY vigilante:

Pretty much just a combo of military surplus and hiking gear with a few 'fashion' items to accent the character's femininity a bit. E.g. German army surplus jacket with rolled up sleeves (long sleeves underneath?), shirt/tanktop/ballistic vest poking through somewhere, short cargo shorts or jeans with a big webbing/airforce style belt (so functional), some robust looking gloves (fingerless even?) those current boots, maybe with something like a combat knife gaffer taped to one for that extra DIY charm, maybe a bloodied bandage or dressing somewhere.

There's a lot of stuff you can do with that boots + jacket combo.
misanq

Postby LeftFoot » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:39 pm

A tombraider style character would be pretty cool.
LeftFoot

Postby Black_Stormy » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:47 am

Cheers Misan, I think I might go with the cargo hotpants and something stickytaped to the thigh, a knife or holster or something, but I want to keep the black colour on the legs so I might just make them some type of cotton legging or black jeans. Then again, I think the hotpants would look best as a black so maybe I will swap the brown and black materials. I'll have a fiddle. Thanks for the feedback.

I worked on da_sacred today, decided to make it a tibetan temple. I have yet to give it some wear and tear so it looks awful clean but let me know what you guys think, I think the white might be a bit too much so I need to break up all the walls quite a bit. I started doing this with the flags and I am going to put some bits of grass growing in the cracks of the brickwork, fallen out briks and decals but any inspiration is welcome:

Black_Stormy

Postby Dementei » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:04 am

Haha wow yea I dig it man, nice jobb. As for the white walls, you could so something like this:

I'm sure you already saw this temple if you were looking for references, but yea it could work out with art overlays on the walls.
Also it may be in your best interest to turn the map into daytime. Blue sky, plenty of bloom and HDR sorta like this. ( here's the article for more pics - anddd now we need snow covered mountains :D )
Dementei
BIG D

Postby Black_Stormy » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:58 am

Did a little more and blocked the roof off from the player, but I think it's getting too repetitive.

I have a few more things in mind to add that should break it up but I think the main problem is sources blockiness. I think I might just do mode of it as models. Although I don't really know the limitations of source with models. Does staticproppolies generate lightmaps for all the static props? The only reason I can think of to avoid using models for everything is that the shadows aren't properly baked but since I am using low res lightmap scales on he brushes I guess that doesn't really matter anyway. Are there any other disadvantages to using models instead of brushes?
Black_Stormy

Postby SotaPoika » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:06 am

Black_Stormy wrote:Does staticproppolies generate lightmaps for all the static props? The only reason I can think of to avoid using models for everything is that the shadows aren't properly baked but since I am using low res lightmap scales on he brushes I guess that doesn't really matter anyway. Are there any other disadvantages to using models instead of brushes?

The "Static Prop Polys" compile -option makes it so, that vRad calculates shadows cast by props using the props' polygons, not the collision like by default it is. This just makes the shadows cast by props on brushes more accurate (like, some cars where usually their average silhouette is only in collision model, which usually leaves mirrors, antennas and other tiny details off). Then there's the "Static Prop Lighting" which uses props' vertices to calculate some sort of self shadowing (good for bigger props that aren't evenly lit all around it) and not just shading it simple way like by default it is by using the model's origin.

Also, hi! :)
SotaPoika

Postby Black_Stormy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:22 pm

Hey Sota, good to see you checking the scene! Thanks for the tips. I tried to do a test map but I couldn't get my models to light like staticproplighting is supposed to make it do. I don't think it should matter though, I can do most of the details here as models and not really worry about lighting errors.

I also put a bit more work into the map, changed the skybox and lighting a bit too:

Black_Stormy

Postby Vino » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:57 am

If one mapper sets the map to night, another will improve it by setting it to day. Then another will come along and see that it's day, and improve it by setting it to night. Reminds me of the Hawthorne Effect.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Black_Stormy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:05 am

Vino:
Black_Stormy

Postby -=JespeR=- » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:00 am

I honestly like the temple map more in the day. It brings out them colors.
Stormy, there is one thing you should do to that map though: move the textures in the staircases around a bit. I am talking about the textures facing the player when moving towards them. Right now its a pattern that is the same for every single step.
Also an art direction suggestion for the outdoors that the map has already kinda got going for it: make the crates in the yard outside be part of an archeological dig by adding like some floodlights and shovels and what have you.
I think it could also be interesting to have the 3d-skybox portray some big ass snowy mountains on the sides of the castle to make it look like you are fighting in the himalayas or something, idk.
-=JespeR=-

Postby Black_Stormy » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:26 pm

Yeah I have done a little work with the main staircase to break it up a bit, you can see the difference between the main case and the ones behind it here:

Might need to get rid of those ferns, looks like this is going to be a snowy map. Also I have big plans for that skybox, I just hope I can pull it off...
Black_Stormy

Postby Black_Stormy » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:27 pm

Also check out this interview from Interlopers. It's a good read for all of us.

READ IT!
Black_Stormy

Postby Dementei » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:20 am

I agree on the snow for sure, that will be awesome then we can finally use some precipitation too, I actually forgot about our weather FX.
Dementei
BIG D

Postby Dementei » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:05 am

For stormeee:

make trigger_once or trigger_multiple, should be set to enable, in outputs add onstarttouch then the name of the prop_dynamic of whichever model, den set the animation sequence and a delay if necessary. i haven't tried it but i'm sure it goes something like that.
Dementei
BIG D

PreviousNext

Return to Double Action Development