Stormy's mapping notes

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Re: Stormy's mapping notes

Postby Dementei » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:38 pm

Woooopwooop we got us an azn chik. Her forehead is a little too blocky, what about more like this:

Dementei
BIG D

Postby Black_Stormy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:45 am

Yeah good call, I need to totally redo the hair. Need to make a decision wether or not to model and bake it or try to fudge it with photo textures and alpha planes...

I have been trying to learn max on the side as well, going to make a few random street clutter props until I figure out a workflow I am happy with. Right now I am importing and exporting shit all over the place.

Black_Stormy

Postby Black_Stormy » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:14 pm

Ok last post for a long while here, I'm about to disappear into a cloud of smoke for a few internetless months. Voy a Nicaragua mañana, creo que voy a tener mucho tiempo para trabajar, pero voy a vivir con una familia de cuatro niños, entonces quizas no. I hope to have a lot of time to make some models but I honestly have no idea what is about to happen. I did a few more props learning max, and a quick test scene to decide how to use them best in the engine. Here's some shots:

I used a block light brush to prevent light hitting the top of the small light pylon models, otherwise it looks weird. Also with the triple light lamp post I disabled shadows since the physics mesh is blocky, and put a block light brush down near the base instead, so the model receives light, but only casts a little bit on the ground. Models and my test vmf in the sync.

Also in this map I had a little go at doing some more convincing detailing on a city street scene. Most of the maps we have at street level just have buildings as blocks but that's really unrealistic and boring. So I made the first floor of an office to see how it would work optimization and time wise. It only took me about an hour to make a basic office foyer with stairs in the back, but I think the result is worth far more than the time. Also with all internal brushwork as func_details, the main blocks of the building create areaportals which block the vis inside the office effectively. I think I would also make those fadey areaportals behind the window if I kept optimizing, in order to fade out the internals at a distance. If you guys are going to do more street scenes, or work on an existing map, go to a nearby city and analyze the sidewalks, the buildings at street level, and the way the buildings are divided between the entry way and the rest of the building. Usually there is a horizontal border of some kind, signs, balconies or just a block of concrete. Small things like that will help the detailing a lot.

*poof*
Black_Stormy

Postby l-homme-d-action » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:52 pm

i just want to say if you need an high poly face i got this one
Image(textures are bad in this pic)
l-homme-d-action

Postby Dementei » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:33 am

veryyy cool storm, sucks you are gonna go for awhile, i hope dab will be standing on a new pedestal by the time you are back though.

homme i think we could definitely use that face too, or perhaps for another character storm got pretty far on the asian face, up to him (thats gonna be a 3 month long decision)
Dementei
BIG D

Postby Vino » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:46 pm

Storm assured me that the model will be ready by release time.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Antagonist » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:13 am

Please release this head for use as a map asset!
NSFW: show
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby Black_Stormy » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:53 pm

Got a bit more done on bombom, weighted up and ready for the long arduous process of compilation. Wish me luck!

Black_Stormy

Postby Vino » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:28 am

Beautiful.

I definitely remember Max doing that sort of thing to me a lot, you have to be careful and save often. Good luck.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Black_Stormy » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:58 pm

I have been musing more and more about how we can make DAB more lovely while reinforcing the gameplay style using only our mad mapping skillz.

Wrote the first bit up on my blog, read it here
Black_Stormy

Postby Dementei » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:29 pm

^^^^ that needs stickied
Dementei
BIG D

Postby Vino » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:26 pm

Leaving this here for when Stormy gets back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8yYfDCDnCs
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Black_Stormy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:54 pm

Ok, I put two more up on mah blerg. I am writing these offline, which makes for heavier updates, I guess.

The first one is about doors and how to use them. This one is more a guide based on feedback and playtesting, feel free to ignore but please have good reasons based on playtest feedback before you ignore it completely.

the third is more conceptual about the planning stage of maps. This one is more a personal reflection of the map designs I have had the mos fun on, but I think it's the best I can come up with and beats 'I maek map'.
Black_Stormy

Postby Black_Stormy » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:30 pm

Ok first of all:

and secondly:

Get the picture?
Black_Stormy

PreviousNext

Return to Double Action Development