Wait wait Vino, before we release...

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Wait wait Vino, before we release...

Postby Vino » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:20 am

I'm currently in Spain and honestly between all the cool stuff I've been doing I've had little time for DA, other than identifying the source of one of those crashes. Things are settling down and I'll be releasing that crash fix soon to server ops, but I've decided there's no way for me to focus enough attention on DA to give it the release it deserves until I get home. So accordingly I'm going to wait until after I get back from Spain to make the last release push.

That means we have a little bit more time to work on the game before we have to really lock it down and release. I get home from Spain May 20, and then the real push will begin. So that's 2.5 months from now. The only real unfinished piece of art is the MP5k, which Raminul has committed to finishing, and I have a laundry list of bugfix and balancetweak coding tasks I want to do, but I figure if we have a bit more time, we may as well use it. So I'm going out of bugfixing-only-mode and I'm willing to add a few more features to the game before release. As such, I want the community opinions on what are the most important things to make sure get into Boogaloo.

Here's how we're going to do it.

1. In this thread, post what you think should get into Boogaloo. Post it in this format:

NOMINATION: Implement Black_Stormy's obituaries

2. We will count up the nominations in this thread. Maybe then I'll make a thread to vote on stuff, maybe not. Really my goal is to get a definite idea of what's sticking out the most, which may be obvious without a voting thread.

Nominations should be:

1. Code-related, ideally
2. Possible to get done in the amount of time we have.
3. Specific. For example, "Rework slow motion" is vague. Better: "Increase bullet speed for the person who activated slowmo."
4. Not bug fixes, unless you think it's a really important bug fix. I've already fixed all the bugs I'm interested in fixing (except those listed below.)

Please remember that there are a great many things that I would like to add to DA and that would improve the game and that are even objectively good, but we can always hold stuff to next major release. Just because it's a good feature doesn't mean we need it now. Try to prioritize things not on how fun they sound, but on how incomplete Boogaloo would be without it.

Here's a list of things I'm already planning to work on, you don't have to nominate anything appearing here:

* Add character preview button backgrounds
* Fix missing gun shot sounds from other players
* Fix V animations not repeating if played again before the end of the animation
* Don't start miniobjectives with no players
* Fix remaining stuck bugs
* Add some feedback when the player touches a waypoint, by way of sounds and a message
* Give some weapons a style/damage tradeoff, +20% style but less damage, etc.
* Redo the style bar notifications: Make them not a texture but a rendered font. Make them say "+20 Image" and get rid of the bronze and silver stars.
* Increase damage indicator visibility
* Add the gold glow for v_brawl
* Fix vote kick which I think is not vote kicking
* Fix the bug where some people get way too many style points sometimes
* Fix broken error briefcase
* Fix too much dust in slowmo
* Give the person who activates slowmo much faster bullets (I agree that it would do better to have a complete redesign of this submechanic, like Ott's idea, but that's more design work than we have time to playtest for this release)
* Increase the style bar activation cost a little bit.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Re: Wait wait Vino, before we release...

Postby Hellu » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:55 am

Maybe having the briefcase waypoint a bit smaller?
Hellu

Postby ThinRedPaste » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:16 pm

the akimbo muzzleflashes are still bugged in third person. the colts don't have any muzzle particles and the berettas have them placed wrong - way out in front of the guns. Single retta has that too.

Also, re: slowmo - I would say increase the bullet speed for non-activators as well, but maybe not as much as for the activator. you can almost outrun the bullets now.
Fuck this shit, I'm going to bed.
ThinRedPaste

Postby Black_Stormy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:21 pm

+1 for the obituaries mentioned in OP, also I would like to see slidepunch and divepunch given the same spotlight as "worth it!"

provide more room for the writing above the timer - my slowmo is bound to mouse4 and the writing gets cut off
the ability to save loadouts for fast spawning, four should do it
Black_Stormy

Postby ThinRedPaste » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:07 pm

also I didnt notice this in the list before, but I'm not in favor of the style/damage tradeoff idea. A gun being weaker doesn't make it inherently more stylish to use it, and the arsenal isn't big enough to start doing that kind of stuff with. Maybe it would be better put to use somewhere down the line, when the game has multiple guns in the same role (beretta vs cz-75, mp5k vs tmp, stuff like that). Or it could be an optional thing that you pick with your skills - focus on style or effectiveness and it alters all the weapons across the board accordingly. Plus the style scoring system is already really opaque and confusing, it doesn't need to be moreso.

In fact, I think there needs to be a serious effort to clarify that. I'd give specifics but I honestly don't know how it works, hence the suggestion. I guess simply adding the number of style points received to the "Dive Kill" message next to the meter would help a lot.
ThinRedPaste

Postby Dementei » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:52 am

Still need wallflip style points lol
Dementei
BIG D

Postby Ott » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:08 am

NOMINATION: Extra style for combo kills
ImageImage
Ott

Postby ThinRedPaste » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:39 pm

hey, something else that doesnt seem like it would take long:
that mookmatch mode has basically all the necessary components, it just needs an activation. call a vote that sets teamplay, fills one team with bots, and puts the players on another team. bam, mookmatch. bonus points if the player team uses the normal player colors rather than the team ones, because they're the main characters.

edit: another thing I thought of today that seems like it could be implemented pretty quick - the ability to pick up a weapon beyond your carrying capacity, but then being unable to put that weapon away. Meaning you have to drop it in order to switch away from it. for example, you can't spawn with two colts and a shotgun. but if you could pick up the shotgun and use it briefly before throwing it away and returning to your colts, that would be cool.

and a related idea: style points for getting kills with a scavenged weapon, within X time of picking it up. this might take a little longer, since you'd have to track what weapons belonged to what players so that a player couldn't just toss his guns and grab them again for this bonus.
ThinRedPaste

Postby Ott » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:33 pm

NONMINATION: Style for dropping an empty weapon (that hasn't been dropped before)
ImageImage
Ott

Postby Antagonist » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:52 pm

Stylepoints for diving away from your own grenade explosion as it kills someone (while you're in the blast radius).
[Stink.inc | Antagonist]
Antagonist

Postby Vino » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:05 am

Okay these are all good suggestions and most are easy to implement so I'll just do them all, no voting necessary.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Black_Stormy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:37 am

Extra style points for good killcams? For instance if there's a few explosions in there, if someone is diving/stunting/shooting (if the gun fire particle is currently rendered) more people in frame = more style, not sure what else but I would like to see some kind of killcam recognition, along the lines of the 'your head!' in tf2.
Black_Stormy

Postby Ott » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:36 pm

NOMINATION: As many of these as you can, especially

roll into slide (right click while rolling)
fix letterboxing to be like 17:9 instead of 16:9 (or increase minimum pixels (better yet make it a fraction of the screen's height))
velocity based slide ends instead of time based
long fall trigger for mappers
ImageImage
Ott

Postby Dementei » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:09 am

lol there's trenchcoat like 3 times
Dementei
BIG D

Postby Vino » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:20 am

Ott wrote:long fall trigger for mappers

As of this latest version, a trigger_kill has the same effects gameplay-wise as a superfall. EG If you hit a trigger_kill and you're diving and you killed someone during that dive, it'll give you "WORTH IT"

I'll give a stab at the rest, but come on guys, this isn't about adding more desired features to the game, this is about adding more necessary features to the game. What absolutely positively cannot wait until the next version? I'm not exaggerating when I say that the list of things I would like to see in the game is one or two orders of magnitude greater than the number of requests I receive. Nobody seems to believe me when I say this, so here's a video of my to do list:

Each of those things takes time to implement, and I have only finite time, so many things will have to go into the next release. It's time to get this game done.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Next

Return to Double Action Development