Starting a few days back, I did my best to to clean up both the DA Greenlight and the Steam DA Community, mostly by renaming help request posts to relevant titles. It should be fairly easy to find answers by looking at thread titles.
Here's a rough FAQ, mostly to serve as a central repository:
Current fixes and workarounds:
- Low framerate: "da_ssao 0" and "da_prettypixels 0" into the console.
- "This game requires Steam" but I already have it! Use the Linux installer that's on ModDB (the Windows installer is embedded in it). Follow these instructions: http://www.moddb.com/games/half-life-2/tutorials/installing-a-mod
- "hl2.exe must close" error: Verify SDK cache, then try deleting libcef.dll. A little more here: http://forums.doubleactiongame.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=672
- Missing/checkeboard textures: Verify your SDK cache: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335
- "Source SDK Base 2013 is downloading" but I already have it! Not a bug, just the installer checking to see if the SDK is there. Installer will not try to download SDK a second time. Restart Steam, DA should be in your library.
- DA not showing up in the library: Only seen this once, but worked around by creating a desktop shortcut. May need to add \dab\ to the end of the shortcut's target.
- "No internet games responded to query" It's your firewall.
- "Missing executable" Verify the SDK cache. Start game from Steam, not desktop icon.
- "Could not load library client." Either you're on a Mac (not supported), or you need to verify the SDK cache and restart: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335
- How to open the console and re-bind the console key (~) to something else on a non-US keyboard: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/2x_action/discussions/0/34095684457196382/
- Missing gameinfo.txt: This is our most insidious and common bug. It seems it's mostly (entirely) from people trying to open a desktop icon, so they should first try to open the game from within Steam. Verifying the cache sometimes fixes it. Deleting "libcef.dll" usually fixes it. If that doesn't work, they should be able to fix it by modifying the target of the desktop shortcut from something like
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 243750 -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\sourcemods"
And now add at the end "\dab"
to something like this, depending on their filesystem setup (append \dab\ in the second path)
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 243750 -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\sourcemods\dab"
Current icky bugs:
- http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/272032345/34095684491950851/At least one old Intel graphics card (G33/G31 chipset) has wonky textures and colors and invisible models. No fix as of today.
- We also have a Linux bug with not being able to connect to VAC servers: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/2x_action/discussions/0/522730702245858215/ and a bunch of folks asking for help with Linux installs on ModDB: http://www.moddb.com/mods/double-action/downloads/double-action-boogaloo-linuxserver1