Achievement Icons

No sólo tacos y guitarras.

Achievement Icons

Postby Black_Stormy » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:54 pm

Post your achievement icons here! More details in the news post.
Black_Stormy

Re: Achievement Icons

Postby TheRedMenace » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:11 am

ey m8
I made this thing, should i continue it lol
it is for the kill a person with a pistol who has a rifle
http://imgur.com/lk8sPT4
TheRedMenace

Postby Black_Stormy » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:57 am

I was just joking when I said MSPaint, although I can appreciate the angle. Actually a whole achievement icon set made in paint would be hilarious and awesome, but I don't think it's appropriate for DA. Don't let me stop you though! It's pretty hard to convey an achievement in a 64x64 pic but even if you just lay out some ideas in paint maybe it can provide inspiration for someone who is super pro in photoshop, and you guys could collaborate.
Black_Stormy

Postby Yosam » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:00 pm

Yosam I am so sorry I accidentally hit the moderator edit button instead of quote and saved over your post! It's been a very long day :oops: Here are your images, and my response is below.
- Stormy

Image - Divepunch is its Own Reward
Image - Michael Bay
Image - Dodge This
Image - SlowPro
Image - Skypunch
Image - Special Delivery
Image - Disco Stu
Image - Potshotter
Yosam

Postby Retnu16 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:02 am

Here's a Disco Stu for you. http://s12.postimg.org/aq7xnwbdl/Disco_Stu.png

If you can't tell. That ball in the background of Disco Stu is a disco ball. I didn't know if other people would get that. Also the dancing guy is John Travolta from that disco movie he did. I thought it would be a kind of funny reference.
Retnu16

Postby Black_Stormy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:42 am

@Yosam:
Image -For these two the silhouette of the diving player kinda melds into the background. It needs some sort of outline to pop it out more.
Image - This one kinda looks like a sniping achievement - the crosshairs look like a scope. The achievement is point blank so I think there would be a better way to communicate that. Maybe a pistol right up against a head or something.
Image - I like it! Although the number could do with an outline.
Image - The clouds in the background are a nice touch, but the image needs some more emphasis. Something to convey the speed of a superfall. Movement lines or something? Kinda like this image - the lines radiating out of the center.
Image - This one is a bit muddy. The briefcase would benefit from a more dynamic angle - something that shows it more 3d - kinda like the briefcase icon we have in the game maybe. Also pistol doesn't immediately mean kill, and instead of trying to directly say "no kill" maybe you can try to convey the 'pacifist' ideal of the achievement. This achievement image will pop up when the player caps the briefcase so the context of a briefcase cap can be assumed. Therefore I think the briefcase could be a background element in this one.
Image - I like the idea here, but the numbers blend in with the silhouette again. They need some sort of outline.
Image - This one doesn't really convey the achievement to me, I think a pistol shooting a rifle might work better. Again, the crosshairs remind me of a sniper scope, which is kinda the opposite direction of the achievement - killing with a pistol.

The style is consistent through these which I appreciate, but they are a bit plain at the moment. I'd like some more visually interesting features. Maybe put some slight grunge in there or use a subtle gradient to introduce more detail. Also I noticed the fist you are using is a royalty free image on the net, I think there are better ones available to use if you are going that route. You've stuck the colour scheme quite well and they are clear and readable. They look good so far man, if you work with them a little longer they could look a lot better!

@Retnu16
Hey I really like that! I love the grungy bits in the yellow background and the border on the image gives it a good composition. The outlines of the silhouettes really add to the readability at a glance. I also like that you didn't use a picture of Disco Stu - the achievement name is reference enough don't you think? Also I got the message very easily, but if you want to communicate the disco ball better you could try some light shafts and stars but I think it might busy up the image too much if you overdo it. I really like this style though man, I'd love to see more!
Black_Stormy

Postby Retnu16 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:04 am

Black_Stormy wrote:Image
Hey I really like that! I love the grungy bits in the yellow background and the border on the image gives it a good composition. The outlines of the silhouettes really add to the readability at a glance. I also like that you didn't use a picture of Disco Stu - the achievement name is reference enough don't you think? Also I got the message very easily, but if you want to communicate the disco ball better you could try some light shafts and stars but I think it might busy up the image too much if you overdo it. I really like this style though man, I'd love to see more!
I'm glad you like it! Yeah, I thought it would be too obvious if I just had the actual Disco Stu sitting there. When I made the disco ball I tried to make it stand out but I couldn't really figure out a way to do it that fit the simplistic and black bordered style of the image or what I did add just took up too much room for my taste. But I felt like it needed something more than just a guy standing there so I just left in what I could. If I figure something out I'll go through and revise it. Do you have any other suggestions?
Retnu16

Postby Black_Stormy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:18 pm

I'm happy to use it as it is. The only suggestion I have is make more!
Black_Stormy

Postby Dysprogue » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:59 pm

This is just me laying down an idea for Divepunch is its Own Reward. To be honest I was thinking photo editing when I saw the mod db post, not so good at the drawing :D
Dysprogue

Postby Black_Stormy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:21 pm

Hey that looks ok. Check the Disco Stu one above you, you could edit yours ever so slightly to match that style (and the feedback I gave) and it would be good to go. In particular, give the silhouettes an outline and put a border on it. Haha, I like the 'BAM' and the fact that the dude is wearing glasses.

Hey Retnu, can I get my hands on your psd file? I think the yellow square in the background of your image is perfect and would like to use it again.
Black_Stormy

Postby Retnu16 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:11 am

Yeah. Do you want me to pm you a dropbox link for it?
Retnu16

Postby Black_Stormy » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:39 am

Yeah that'll work
Black_Stormy

Postby Dysprogue » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:52 am

EDIT: Noticed that some details were lost in the restyling... I'm a bit too zoomed in with photoshop.

I had a go replicating the style
Dysprogue

Postby Dysprogue » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:14 am

An idea for dodge this.

And for special delivery (variants)
Dysprogue

Postby Black_Stormy » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:52 am

Haha I love them! Especially the sissy dude with the briefcase. That will be hilarious when it pops up after you've just spent all that time trying to not kill anyone. With the one for dodge this could you change it so the gun is coming in from the side? Or on a little more of an angle. It's based on this awesome moment, so I feel like the gun should be more lateral, and maybe only have one half of the skull showing. Actually if you take that icon as it is now but change the pistol to a fist it would be perfect for skypunch!!

You two guys have absolutely nailed the style for these achievements. I'm already upping these icons to steamworks so check them out! There are more achivements on the way, I hope you'll stick around and make ALL THE ICONS!!!

Black_Stormy

Next

Return to Double Action Development