Playtest Feedback

Double the Action. Double the Fun. Double Mint Gum.

Re: Playtest Feedback

Postby Ott » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:10 am

A lot of these are Source limitations. Perhaps in another game on a different engine.
ImageImage
Ott

Postby Penguininnabox » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:06 am

Am I the only person who finds the M16 useless? While I hated that the old burst fire mode could basically be turned into full-auto if you just clicked fast enough. But ever since the M16 became semi, I just cant find a single use for it. It doesnt fire fast enough to be used in close combat. Better guns like the FAL beat it out in mid range. The best the M16 gets is in long range, but even then I find that the FAL boosted with Marksman can do just about the same. All i seem to see the M16 used for is camping. I gotta go now, but ill try to update this further when i get the chance.
Scout wrote:How the hell did these arctic animals get so good with firearms?
Penguininnabox

Postby Black_Stormy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:57 am

I thought it was just because I suck at shooting but yeah I can't see the fun in playing with the m4. For one thing I can't hit a barn from the inside, and the single fire mode does not appeal to me. It's got really good penetration though I think that's where it comes in handy.

I have a similar gripe I discovered last night. Akimbos require click-per-bullet. This is fine on the bigger clunky Stallions which have low ammo and a lot of stopping power (if they ever land on target) but the Sentinels are little peashooters with lots of ammo. Clicking frantically mid game causes my mouse to jump about ever so slightly on my desk, which translates to spray-and-pray in game. I feel like it would be nicer to be able to hold down the mouse button and have it fire like an auto. Prolem is this takes away the whole point of akimbos. You have two triggers, you need to pull each one to squeeze off shots individually, and that's what makes it so cool - so I can totally understand everyone being viciously against this idea. Maybe if you hold down the button it can fire at 3/4 rate, allowing athritic boogalooers like me to avoid RSI, but if you want to hammer it you can push the tempo and shake what your mama gave yahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Black_Stormy

Postby Dementei » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:49 pm

lol I think dab is easy enough already storm, and yes M16 is sorta useless, not many long range battles and it's easy to overcome by using colt/FAL with marksman as you said.

either bring back the burst with slightly lower dmg or increase dmg as semi probably.
Dementei
BIG D

Postby Vino » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:43 am

I must be the only person who uses it to rack up style from a range before switching to a short range weapon to dive into the fight with?
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby The_Silver » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:36 am

I have a suggestion for the akimbos shooting, why not a middle ground where one click means pulling BOTH triggers simultaneously like in Max Payne 3? This would halve the furious clicking while still requiring some skill. :)
Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
The_Silver

Postby Ott » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:19 am

I'd like to point out that that would NOT double damage most of the time. Bullets are offset about a foot apart.
ImageImage
Ott

Postby B4iken » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:28 am

Akimbos are fine with click-per-bullet, I find it adds a frantic feel to the game !
That being said I felt that triple style was a bit much, because it lead me directly to the scoreboard. No idea if a bit OP or if other players were really bad.

As for the non-automatic rigle (M16 ? I didn't pay attention), I barely use it.
I don't see its usefulness in close quarters combats because any other weapon would be better. As for long range, it would seem obvious, though standing away and just kinda sniping people dosen't seem really stylish to me, does it ?
B4iken

Postby Ott » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:16 pm

Some ideas from today's playtest:

When slowmo is activated, everyone involved should get a slight health boost and a few extra rounds. Stackable.
When someone activates their slowmo while it's already slow, they move faster BUT their seconds are added on to the end of the current slowmo.
Infinite ammo during super slowmo
ImageImage
Ott

Postby Penguininnabox » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:14 am

Ott wrote:When slowmo is activated, everyone involved should get a slight health boost and a few extra rounds. Stackable.

I like this idea, mostly because I remember my times in killing floor, alwasy spending the slomo reloading rather than shooting zeds.

Ott wrote:When someone activates their slowmo while it's already slow, they move faster BUT their seconds are added on to the end of the current slowmo.

Doesnt this already happen? One of my tactics is literally to wait for the other person to activate slomo, then override it with mine.

Ott wrote:Infinite ammo during super slowmo

I am now just thinking of this + undertaker and i'm horrified. Not going to rule it out, perhaps it makes more sense in practice than in theory, but I dont think this one will go over well.
Penguininnabox

Postby Black_Stormy » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:18 am

Love this idea, glad you posted it. The infinite ammo in a slowmo would be up to playtesting but I really like the idea of communally beneficial slowmo. My biggest issue is that I am always either reloading or switching weapons. The 'few extra rounds in a mag' idea is a great counter for that. The other issue is that Rai always has super slow, which makes me move too slow to be competitive, so I pop the one second of slowmo I have and get one second of slightly-faster-than-grass speed to defend myself. Would my speed buff last the entire slowmomarathon or would it only last for the amount of time I had in my slowmo timer?

Here's how I see it:
You pop slowmo and go for a surprise superman divepunch attack. The clock hits 4 seconds of slowmo. Both the clips of you and your victim are now full, and you both know that. You also have an extra 25 points of heatlh, and so do they, and you both know that.
Your victim panics and also pops slowmo, any bullets you have squeezed off so far are replaced - your clip is now full again and you both just received another 25 health points. The clock now has 7 seconds of slowmo.
Your surprise attack works and you send your victim flying across the map with a satisfyingly shattered jaw. You still have 5 seconds of slowmo to use.
Rai comes barrelling in out of nowhere popping 8 seconds of super slow, bullets flying and fists pumping at the air in front of him; the killzone. You now have 12 seconds of slowmo, and you have just been given 25 more health points, as well as having your clip replenished. But so has Rai - and he's speeding towards you like a runaway train on an extended downhill stretch. Rai kills you like a lightspeed ninja since his super slowmo has him jaunting around the map as he pleases while the rest of us grind through the air like we're swimming in molasses.
Then Penguin comes in and somehow lands a perfect left cheek dive-powered haymaker on Rai, but Rai doesn't go down. He not only has extra health from filling his style bar, he has the potential to have +75 health from all the slowmo pops. Penguin busts his 8 seconds of super slow. You're looking at 20 seconds of super slow, full+extra health and full ammo. It would be like titans battling at the foot of Mt Olympus.

So I think it would be a cool thing anyway. Ship it.
Black_Stormy

Postby Rai » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:52 pm

You have a way with words Stormy. Beautiful. I love the idea. I do kinda think it should be a special gamemode maybe? Because I am not sure if so much stacked slowmo is going to be enjoyed by everyone ingame.

P.S.: Penguin is super slowmo master. I am just the guy with Athletic skills with welltimed slowmo.
Rai

Postby Vino » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:19 pm

What about the reduced style bonus weapons, how did that play out?

(Not trying to ignore the current discussion, which has some very good ideas.)
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Ott » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:28 am

Well, Penguin hasn't changed his loadout so...
ImageImage
Ott

Postby Penguininnabox » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:01 am

Vino wrote:What about the reduced style bonus weapons, how did that play out?

(Not trying to ignore the current discussion, which has some very good ideas.)

Yeah, its still a problem, IIRC the top 3 for most of that playtest was varying degrees of me, Rai, Ott, and Stormy, and most of us were using some sort of bonus weapon. Obviously the effect is not as pronounced as before, but it is still there. I cannot stress enough how much I feel this system should be killed off entirely. The concept was sound, but the guns it was given to dont need it; I dont really think ANY of the guns need it.
Penguininnabox

PreviousNext

Return to Let's Play DA