(Just kinda throwing ideas out at this point, so if any of this is impossible/stupid, I apologize in advance)
The thing with grenades at this point for me is, what is the role they are supposed to play? Most of the other guns fill a type of playstyle, with the skill boosts to modify them for further customization. But grenades seem to be left out as they are a multi-purpose weapon in pretty much any game that has them. You can flush out camping players, bounce them around corners to get a player thats too dangerous for you to go fight yourself, perhaps due to low HP from the last fight you had. However, in DA camping is almost non-existent, the scoring fights against it at every turn, and at all other times, being killed by nades feels like a cheap shot or just plain luck on the part of the thrower. So I tried to brainstorm some ideas to further bring some downsides to grenades without bringing them back to uselessness as they have been in past update.
1. Reward double/triple kills- I've mentioned this in the past, so to summarize, rewarding players for multikills would give more incentive to hold on to a nade, rather that throw it right away.
2. Make the throw a "vulnerable" moment- At first this was going to be "Remove the 1-button throw", but I really dont want to see that go, as I admit, the HL2 default mode is clunky as fuck. However, as it is now, just as there is no reason to not bring a nade, there is also no reason not to throw it at any given time. Perhaps pressing G could switch to the nade weapon and run +fire for the player, keeping the 1 button, but still giving any players around an opening to get them.
3. Reduce the force grenades are thrown with- This would keep players from chucking the damn things across the map, however, there is worry in my mind that this might make nades too hard to use in general
4. Put a weapon weight on nades- I know this is planned, but what weight are they going to be at? My gut says 15, but I feel like thats overkill. But the next sensible step down would be to 10, allowing you to pack a nade along with any gun you choose, so not much would change.
5. Remove Nitro skill and give nades buffes according to the other skills - This one is WAY out there, but I like the concept, and I wanted to see if anyone else had good ideas for buffs for nades, So far I got: Reflexes- See the timer on own nades, Bouncer- Throw nades further(like bring it back up to current), Marksman- Nades do more damage, but have a MUCH smaller radius, Athletic- No idea on this one.
Scout wrote:How the hell did these arctic animals get so good with firearms?