It's so lonely #firstworldproblems

Double the Action. Double the Fun. Double Mint Gum.

It's so lonely #firstworldproblems

Postby Rai » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:59 pm

Everyone goddamn leaves. EVERY.DAMN.TIME.
Rai

Re: It's so lonely #firstworldproblems

Postby Penguininnabox » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:16 pm

Damn, only 6k and everyone left? Usually takes me to about 8k before haxucation/rage quitting starts.
Scout wrote:How the hell did these arctic animals get so good with firearms?
Penguininnabox

Postby Rai » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:55 pm

It happened each time last night too. I need a high skill server.
Rai

Postby Dementei » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:00 am

Play with pengy and me :P
Dementei
BIG D

Postby Vino » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:14 pm

With more time and resources I would try to make a matchmaking system to pair all of you pro players together in one game.

In lieu of that how would you feel about a handicapping system where you take intentional handicaps in exchange for ... more style or something? It's a thing I've been thinking about doing.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Scout » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:28 pm

Vino wrote:In lieu of that how would you feel about a handicapping system where you take intentional handicaps in exchange for ... more style or something? It's a thing I've been thinking about doing.

Wouldn't work if they're being kicked for camping the top spot on the leaderboard. Might work if they're being kicked simply for killing errybody.
Scout

Postby Dementei » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:08 pm

Anything regarding extra style bonuses just doesn't fit competition-wise, and if a pro player were to accept the handicap it would be more like an extra advantage as the style bonuses already are.
Dementei
BIG D

Postby Ott » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:11 pm

Dementei wrote:Anything regarding extra style bonuses just doesn't fit competition-wise, and if a pro player were to accept the handicap it would be more like an extra advantage as the style bonuses already are.

That's true. It's the same with the whole "8+ players and grenades become useless" thing. There's no realistic explanation for it other than "that's just how it works".
ImageImage
Ott

Postby Scout » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:23 pm

But can we change how it works to have it be better?

Let's keep talking it out as ideas come up; we're really hoping for players of as many skill levels as possible to have fun.
Scout

Postby Dementei » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:05 pm

The only way to keep it fun is to keep it fair, it's fair and fun enough without a bonus. I get that newbie players need a chance too but you can't do that without creating loopholes for the pro players. I know many people that aren't very good at DA but still enjoy it some even more than the "pros". It's needless to worry about keeping it fun for everyone, the game already does that, you've seen the videos right?
Dementei
BIG D

Postby Penguininnabox » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:54 am

Also, the disparity between "pro" players and newer players becomes less apparent without the style bonuses. Seeing someone lead by 2k is impressive, you get the feeling that guy knows what he is doing. Seeing someone lead by 6k is just fustrating. How in the hell did he get that many points? Why is 2nd place nowhere near him? More and more, I find myself gravitating towards the non-bonus guns (This being the non-steam release im talking about) just cause I dont ever get kicked using these, even if i do crawl my way to the top. Even if a lack of style bonuses dosent stop the "pros" from being the top (hint: it probably wont) without the style bonuses the difference just feels better. Games feel closer, more intense. Being at the top, I feel like at any moment if i stop killing, just for 30 sec or so, im going to lose my lead. Thats a great feeling, one we should be shooting for.
Scout wrote:How the hell did these arctic animals get so good with firearms?
Penguininnabox

Postby Rai » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:32 am

Penguininnabox2 wrote:Also, the disparity between "pro" players and newer players becomes less apparent without the style bonuses. Seeing someone lead by 2k is impressive, you get the feeling that guy knows what he is doing. Seeing someone lead by 6k is just fustrating. How in the hell did he get that many points? Why is 2nd place nowhere near him? More and more, I find myself gravitating towards the non-bonus guns (This being the non-steam release im talking about) just cause I dont ever get kicked using these, even if i do crawl my way to the top. Even if a lack of style bonuses dosent stop the "pros" from being the top (hint: it probably wont) without the style bonuses the difference just feels better. Games feel closer, more intense. Being at the top, I feel like at any moment if i stop killing, just for 30 sec or so, im going to lose my lead. Thats a great feeling, one we should be shooting for.

I never really get bonus' on guns. I use Athlete forever. However..whenever I get wanted..I get overpowered.
Rai

Postby Ott » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:32 am

It's because you never lose style. Players who have been on for longer have more style.
ImageImage
Ott

Postby Vino » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:02 am

Yeah the style bonuses are down to 1.5x in the steam release and I could reduce them further or eliminate them entirely. So that will get addressed.

That said the original goal of the style bonuses was to provide variation of the weapons by giving some benefits and drawbacks and thus make each weapon more tactical. So at some point in the future I plan to still pursue that avenue, but probably not with style bonuses.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Black_Stormy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:08 am

The point of the style bonuses on the akimbos in the first place was to offset their low accuracy or someting wasn't it? To make them more attractive to players. I don't think that is communicated well to the player. We should do a stats display for each weapon so players can know what they are getting into?
Black_Stormy

Next

Return to Let's Play DA